serious, professional header coating...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

serious, professional header coating...

is there any possible solution for coating the header to keep it from rusting, besides painting it? aero made a mention somewhere at some point of this commercial rust inhibiting coating for headers, and they claim it works perfectly, but i forget the name of hte product.

id like to get a fresh ceramic header, and coat it so it doenst rust up so quick!

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

I thought ceramic headers didn't rust?

What about powder coating? Can that be done?
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Chrome plate them?

I could get my dad to do it for practically nothing, minus shipping handling, his company plates and finishes parts for harley, and they have some of the most insane quality control. I'd have to ask him so im not 100%, but it would keep your parts rust free.
      Last edited by myk; 08-11-2006, 03:19 AM.
      Originally posted by deevergote
      ..It's not cheap to build a fast CB7, especially NA. However, if you're willing to put the money into the car, it's well worth it in the end. There ARE faster cars out there, but some people, like me, want THIS particular car to be fast!...
      Sold to:tanNn2koo,9tAkord,ThrakBarts,nahmo,andrizzle,or anger
      Bought from:93a-lude, bruno8747, soysauce

1993 H22A cb7 <3 miss you
      04 WRX stg 2 sedan
      Current - 02 WRX stg 2 wagon

Comment

They do if you look at a DC sports ceramic over time it will rust. I think there is a protective heat coating you can spray over the header forgot what its called but I also think it prevents corrosion too. I think I read about it on HT if I find it ill send you the link.

The New-ish Ride
        My old Ride
        Hear my Vtak!!!
        MK3 Member #3
        I piss off people for fun.
        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

I imagine Swain Technologies would have something...

They came to mind because they specialize in high temp heat coatings for engines.

A good ceramic coating should help too I would think.
          The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike]
            is there any possible solution for coating the header to keep it from rusting, besides painting it? aero made a mention somewhere at some point of this commercial rust inhibiting coating for headers, and they claim it works perfectly, but i forget the name of hte product.

id like to get a fresh ceramic header, and coat it so it doenst rust up so quick!
            get it anodized thats the only way i can think of its resistant to heat so you dont really have to worry about goin all out unless lik eyou bottom out and scrape some of the paint off itll rust there why?

Comment

Jet Hot is a type of coating I've seen on a lot of ceramic headers for muscle cars. I don't know if that's a factory only option though.

Comment

i found the product aero mentioned... anybody hear anything about this stuff before?

http://www.por15.com/PRODUCTS/PRIMER...4/Default.aspx

Current cars:

Comment

soooo, what are you planning on doing with your old header? i might have to put it to good use.

Comment

Ya, that POR looks to be the nits as long as you spray it on. If it were me, I'd ship/take the header and have it jet-hot coated with a thicker layer of ceramic. I don't think OE ceramic coatings are as good..... That'll help to keep the underhood temps down as well.
                    1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

http://www.jet-hot.com/

No clue what they charge though.

Comment

Awhile back, I got a quote (for fun I guess) from Jet Hot to coat an F22a4 header. The quote was $165 w/ return shipping included, I believe. It would be alittle more for the down-pipe too.

They are a VERY professional company, they sent a huge packet of info along w/ my price estimate. Very cool stuff.

Neat fact, CarCraft magazine did an independent study and found drops in surface temps of over 300*F

Comment

i was about to order black velvet about 2 weeks ago, when i posted a topic on underhood coatings, i spent so much money on paint and was not about to wait another 1 week to get the Black Velvet shipped. So i went with the Dupli-Color High Temp Paint in a can from any auto parts store. It has alot of ceramic in the paint, it sits flat on any surface. Coated the underhood with 3 layers of it. It was designed for motor components that need that extra heat barrier. It has only been on my car for the last 3 days, since i put it on Friday night. I was actually going to go after work today and buy some more and paint the cover for the header to give it a nice flat look instead of the oxidized metal it is right now.

Comment

jet hot coating
                            To have loved and lost is better than to have never loved at all #CB7Life

Comment

sounds like jet hots the way to go...

though... i cant justify 165 + cost of downpipe just to preserve an ebay header...

maybe ill try the POR-15 coating, since thats cheaper, ill see how it holds up... if its as good as they say, then wonderful... if it comes off in a year or two, thats fine, hopefully by then ill have a header worth saving

Current cars:

Comment

Working...
                              X