Another way to upholster door panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another way to upholster door panels

I've seen many different ways of upholstering door panels. I came up with a way that involves a little more time and money, but ultimately will give a great result. I decided to document it in case anyone else wants to use this method.

Since our door panels are one piece, it's hard to use an accent material on the door panel inserts and leave a clean look around the edges. One way to fix this is tucking some sort of cord into the seam to cover up the area where the fabric stops. Here is what I came up with to leave you with a really clean final product.

Materials needed:

Fiberglass resin
    Fiberglass chop mat
    Razor blades
    Bondo spreader
    Masking tape, 3/4" and 2" widths
    Paint brushes, narrow, 1" work great
    Airsaw
    Sandpaper

First, here are some pics of the door panel before, with the fabric stripped off:

And here is the bare backside:

Now, please forgive me for loosing some of the pic files, so I'll explain in as much detail as I can what to do next. When I do the other door panel I will add pics of this process.

This is where the masking tape comes in. Tear strips of masking tape about 6-8" long. Lay the center of the piece of tap across the hump on the backside of the door panel insert. Using the bondo spreader, press the tap down flat on the door panel to follow the surface as flat as possible. Use the 2" wide tape on the long straight runs, and the 3/4" tape on the sharp corners. You can mask it any way you want, as long as you have about 3" or more on either side of the hump.

Once the backside of the insert is masked off, cut small squares, about 2"x2", out of the chopped mat with a razor blade. Apply a coat of wax to the masking tape and allow it to dry. This will help you remove the mold when it's hard. Mix up some fiberglass resin and dab it into the small squares of mat with a paintbrush, then apply the squares onto the back of the door panel dabbing them into place with your paintbrush. Make sure to overlap each piece with another at least 50%. Press out any air bubbles as best you can. Continue the process all the way around. When the mold is hard, carefully remove it, and any masking tape from the mold and the door panel.

Here is what the mold looks like after all the tape is cleaned up and it is set back in place:

After test fitting the mold, it should fit nice and snug, take it back off and set it aside. Using an air saw, cut the insert out using the inside lip as a guide. Here is what the door panel looks like with the insert cut out and the fiberglass backing in place:

Here is the insert set in place:

Next, using a grinder, sander, or just sand paper, sand the inside edges of the door panel smooth, and also sand the edges of the insert smooth. What I mean by this is remove the jagged imperfections left by the freehand cut with the airsaw.

After smoothing all the edges, mix up more resin and using another paintbrush, soak the edges of the backside of the opening in the door panel with resin and apply the fiberglass backing ring in place. Lightly clamp it to the door panel and allow it to dry so it's permanently attached to the door panel. Trim the excess edges of the fiberglass backer out of the center. Here is what the finished backer will look like:

Here is the insert set into place on the finished trim ring:

That's as far as I am right now, hopefully I'll get pics up to fill in the holes asap.

The benefits of using this technique are that you can wrap your fabric around all the edges instead of having to butt the two seams together. More pics to come!

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=1#post1823428

My Custom BB6 Dash Swap Thread

reserved

Comment

reserved...

Comment

wow!

what are you going to use to glue the panel back onto your mould? is it going to hold against the particleboard? i love the idea i only hope the finished product is as sturdy as OEM, considering the center is what gets pulled on when you are closing the door from the inside. let us know how it goes, that will probably end up looking really good.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
        Current cars:
        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

I'll either be using an epoxy, or more resin. Remember that the areas that see the most stress on the door panel when closing the door are areas where there is a screw fastening it to a bracket on the door shell. Shouldn't be any issues. I hope to have this write up done asap.

Comment

coolness...I'm watching
            ____

Comment

pretty good idea. personally i wouldn't resin it to the door panel. why not think of a good sturdy way to make ot stay yet removable. with a clip system along with 3m double edged tape, would keep it firm yet removable if you ever needed to fix some fabric.

It would have been prety sweet if you could have incorperated some handles on the panel similar to some lexus or a vr4 design.

I spy a primer tranny in these photos.. I love it.
              "Self Renewed"

Comment

Once again lol. Subscribed. I'm sure it will turn out looking good. I haven't seen you do anything that looked anywhere close to a shitty job. I'd be scared to where shoes in your car lol. I see why you put it up for winter.

Comment

Originally posted by KeeleDesign View Post
                  pretty good idea. personally i wouldn't resin it to the door panel. why not think of a good sturdy way to make ot stay yet removable. with a clip system along with 3m double edged tape, would keep it firm yet removable if you ever needed to fix some fabric.

It would have been prety sweet if you could have incorperated some handles on the panel similar to some lexus or a vr4 design.

I spy a primer tranny in these photos.. I love it.
                  I understand what you're saying, and it would not be hard to do. I have considered less permanent alternatives to mounting it in. I could use hot glue, as that could be re-melted to release the panel...

Post up some pics of the door handles you mentioned...it's not too late you know?

And yes, you see a 97 base model 5sp H22a4 tranny. I completely disassembled it, degreased it, prepped it, and sprayed it with self etching primer and VHT Aluminum colored primer and satin clearcoat. It looks awesome, although I'm undecided about the color. As good as it looks, I guess I had hoped it would be a little more silver rather than gray.

Comment

I wouldn't recommend the use of hot glue. I used some to reattach my lower door carpet, and during the hot summer months, it actually melted and softened enough during the day for the carpet to come off...
                    Originally posted by sweet91accord
                    if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Good Plan

Thats a good plan, I know for a fact that tucking around that insert is a pain in the ass.

Good luck and I hope it turns out great

201 Whp H22a with bolt ons, see the progress from stock f22a to now HERE

Comment

This is on and off topic. I've never looked for it but in the very near future I will be. Can you get self etching primer in a rattle can or is it something you have to brush on or use a gun with? I've never used it before. I plan on painting my valve cover and maybe some other peices under the hood and want to make sure I do it right the first time. Is there a brand you recommend?

Comment

Originally posted by Brandoncb7 View Post
                          This is on and off topic. I've never looked for it but in the very near future I will be. Can you get self etching primer in a rattle can or is it something you have to brush on or use a gun with? I've never used it before. I plan on painting my valve cover and maybe some other peices under the hood and want to make sure I do it right the first time. Is there a brand you recommend?
                          you can get it many ways, spray can, two-part for a spray gun (best), paint pen, brushable, and possibly others. What I use right now is made by Worth. It's in a spraycan and seems to hold up very well.

Comment

Originally posted by wherm View Post
                            you can get it many ways, spray can, two-part for a spray gun (best), paint pen, brushable, and possibly others. What I use right now is made by Worth. It's in a spraycan and seems to hold up very well.
                            Thanks. I have a gun but no idea if it's worth trying to use to srpay anything with. It's a C&H I got for free so who knows.

Comment

can't wait to see this completed

Comment

Working...
                              X