Wherm's JDM Honda Vigor Headlight Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wherm's JDM Honda Vigor Headlight Conversion

I’m making this post in response to the numerous questions I’ve received about the JDM Honda Vigor headlight conversion that I did on my car. Unfortunately, I didn’t take enough detailed photos to do a DIY write-up, but there are enough pics here that will show you how much work is entailed in doing this from start to finish. By looking at this I’m sure you could properly complete this swap with the right tools, and a bit of free time.
    I hope this works because I’m typing it in Word to copy and paste it to this forum…
    The headlights are JDM Honda Vigor CC2 Black Housing headlights. Always available on ebay.
    Tools required:
    Air Saw
    Grinder
    Cut off wheel
    Drill and bits
    Welder
    Filler
    Primer
    Paint/Clearcoat
    Here are the pics, roughly in order they were taken.

This photo shows what needs to be trimmed out of the headlight pocket to fit the Vigor light in. The same was done on each side until proper fitment was achieved. Remember, trim little by little till it fits, hacking away large pieces that aren’t necessary will lessen the structural rigidity. It’s the best picture I have to show this.

This photo shows the finished trimming that I did on the fender to allow the headlamp to mount further back for better alignment with the hood. I also wanted the fender to curve exactly like the corner lamp on the Vigor light. You don’t have to do this, I’m just anal. This step can be skipped to save time, money, and materials. On the other hand, if you do not do this, the headlamps will stick out a little further from the hood, but only noticeable when you look down at the front edge of the hood. Also, you will have a gap in the upper corner since the Vigor corner lights have more of a slant downward where as the accord corner lights cut almost straight down from the curve.

This pic shows the backside of the fender primed first with a self etching primer, then coated with automotive seam sealer from 3M. This is to protect the back side of the welds from corrosion. Once again, this only needs to be done if you want your lights to fit like mine.

This shows the finished headlight fitment once the filler was applied to smooth out the area and tighten the gap even more.

This is the hardest part of the conversion, it’s also a required part since the headlights are quite a bit wider than the accords’. Once the headlight pocket is trimmed out you will need to drill new, or enlarge the existing, headlamp mounting holes in the upper tie bar. You can get away with two mounts on top, but for added stability you’ll want to fab up a bracket to mount one or both lower mounting tabes. They do not line up with the accord mounts at all. Once this is done, and the fender is done if you choose to do the fender, you need to trim the hood. This is the last step and most important for a nice fitting conversion. With the headlight in place, lower the hood onto it. Obviously it won’t close all the way yet, so try to envision where the upper edge and corner of the headlight will be on the hood, and using 1” masking tape, mark your cut lines. Remember to cut short, you can always cut/grind more if you haven’t done enough. You can’t put the metal back once it’s gone without a lot of extra work. Trim a little at a time on both sides till you like the result. It’s best to remove the hood latch from the upper tie bar so you’re not popping the hood all the time. I set a chunk of 4”x4” where the hood latch mounts to rest the hood on for trimming. Then just remove the wood to set the hood down and check your progress. Heres a shot of both lights mounted in place:

You will notice in the pic that there is some understructure that needs to be trimmed back as well. The hood may not rest all the way down until some of that is also trimmed away. I used two part panel bonding adhesive from Lord Fusor to glue the filler pieces into place where they meet the hood skin, and tack welded the edge where the filler piece meets the understructure. Welding the entire part could result in warping of the outer hood skin. After grinding down the welds, I applied a bead of 3M panel bonding adhesive along the top edge to cover the joint. It’s stronger than seam sealer, and seals the joint at the same time. Again, welding the entire joint instead of just tacking it could warp the sheet metal. Here are more pics of the underside:

This pic shows the underside after it was primed with PPG K-38 High Build Primer. Here are a couple more:

This is the underside after repainting it.
    Last edited by wherm; 01-02-2009, 08:33 PM.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=1#post1823428

My Custom BB6 Dash Swap Thread

Here is a side view of the mudwork that needs to be done to smooth out the front edge of the hood after trimming is complete. You’ll also see more views of the fenderwork I did. Here are a few more:

These two pics above show the front of the hood and fenders primed with black tinted PPG K-38 High Build primer.

These two pics show how it looked when finished. These were taken almost exactly two years ago. Since then, I molded Skyline R33 GTR turn signals in front, sprayed the center mesh black, and made an eyelid/grill piece out of fiberglass. Here is a current pic:

Thanks for looking! I hope this was informative and easy to understand.
    Last edited by wherm; 01-02-2009, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Dat is Segzy!

I want to do your car in the tailpipe That is seXxy!

Even though it's not step by step, it's still a good writeup nonetheless as it shoes how much work is involved. I like how you were "anal" and got the fitment more correct by setting the headlights further back. I think this conversion is cool because it sorta makes the CB look like a mad DA integra

I am the Yakuza CB7!
      JDM 96spec H22A 178HP 149TQ

"The JDM Fleet"

1993 Accord Sedan - 2.2 JDM H22a
      1994 Prelude V-Tec
      1999 CL 3.0
      2000 Prelude
      2010 Accord Crosstour - 3.5

1993 Mirage S Sedan - 2.0 4G63 Project Evo 2.5
      1994 Mirage S Sedan - 1.5

1991 Isuzu Impulse RS - 1.6 AWD Turbo
      1993 Asuna - 1.8 "CDM Impulse XS"

1993 Sentra SE-R - 2.0 SR20de
      1995 200sx SE-R - 2.0 Sr20ve

Comment

Dang!! Great job man Did you ever get the part of the hood where it latches to sit flush with the headlights or does it still stick out? Great job though

Comment

cb headlights look sexier

the head looks like a nissan silva

stlll looks awesome though
          Last edited by accord=inspire?; 01-02-2009, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jchsmiley View Post
            Dang!! Great job man Did you ever get the part of the hood where it latches to sit flush with the headlights or does it still stick out? Great job though
            I fixed that by adjusting the headlamps, and now that I have the grill in there it's all good. you can kind of see it in the most recent pic at the end of the write-up.

Comment

Originally posted by Warudakumi View Post
              I want to do your car in the tailpipe That is seXxy!

Is that your car in the sig pic? Cuz Dat my friend is SeXxy!

Comment

normally i don't like cars with body kits but....your bumper and headlight conversion combo look sweet. You obviously put a lot of time and effort into it and it shows

Comment

thanks! I'm hoping to get some pics of it outside during the day next week tuesday or wednesday. I'll be adding those to my MR thread.

Comment

On the commetn of it looking like a DA integra, Wherm, look up TypeRLegend. He's an old skool member that did a DA front end conversion. Might tickle yer pickle.

I love these lights. They almost look like CB 1pcers, but they have that center yellow.

Very nice DIY. Very creative. Mad props.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
                    Originally posted by Jarrett
                    Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

very good write up man

Comment

Originally posted by greencb7inkc View Post
                        On the commetn of it looking like a DA integra, Wherm, look up TypeRLegend. He's an old skool member that did a DA front end conversion. Might tickle yer pickle.
                        I've always loved those headlights too.

Comment

nice write up bro looks amazing
                          to achieve a Fuck, you must first give a Fuck
                          Follow me on twitter @tru_whitetrash

Comment

Dude, mad props. Seriously. Hands down, this is epic. Fit/mod a OEM Vigor grille in there and it's golden.

Comment

full props on the conversion bro looks great

Comment

Working...
                              X