Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a way to trick the third brake light?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a way to trick the third brake light?

I was wondering this, because I just installed an oem spoiler and I spliced the wires to the 3rd brake light, and I also took out the bulb. Is there any way to trick that signal switch so that on my dash, I don't have to see the 3rd brake light come on all the time. I know one way I can fix it would be to take out the bulb entirely, but that seems kinda pointless to do, if all I'm going to take out is the bulb. Thanks
    Yeah, Preludes

Originally posted by deevergote.
    Why can't people just search OT to see if someone else posted the same random thread?

You might be able to solder a small wire between the two contacts where the light bulb was to complete the circuit so it wouldn't set the malfunction light, but someone with a little more electrical experience would have to confirm that.
    Josh G.

Power Sunroof-equipped LXs #1

www.myspace.com/inkyturbo
    www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=36221

MEMBER OF THE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA CB7TUNERS!

Comment

If you want to do it properly you are going to have to go to a junk yard and find a accord with factory spoiler and get that little box behind the drivers side tail light.

Comment

well, I don't think I'll be able to find one, so will soldering thing work?
        Yeah, Preludes

Why can't people just search OT to see if someone else posted the same random thread?

Comment

take the cluster out and pull that bulb or put a bulb in that socket and just tape it with some duck tape

Comment

I'm pretty sure that you'd just have to solder a resistor between the two leads. Something with similar resistance to the light bulb filliment.... Not sure on the specs though..... You definitely DO NOT want to just hook the lead-ends together, you'll start blowing fuses.
            1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

yes all you need to do is put a load between the 3rd brake light bulb holder. the load will be a resistor. measure the bulb resistance and obtain a resistor with the same amount as the bulb or a bit higher. resistors can be found at radio shack ranging from 1ohm to about 1Meg ohm. then just solder it to the bulb holder.

the wing LED wired to the bulb holder doesn't work with the dash indicator b/c the LED has a smaller resistance than the original bulb. this will always trigger that pesky dash light unless you put a load on the 3rd brake light holder as mentioned above. that's why the spoiler should be tapped to the main brake lights. good luck!

sidenote: i always thought the dash indicator only senses the 4 main brake lights, and not the 3rd brake light. i guess i was wrong .
              1cor10:31
              - 92 LX coupe
              - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

don't use a piece of wire!
                Freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude.

Comment

Originally posted by bodiby
                  don't use a piece of wire!
                  so get a resistor right? that should fix the problem.
                  Yeah, Preludes

Comment

yeah if you use a wire you will have no resistance and will begin to blow fuses everytime you step on the brakes. and in extreme cases can cause fires. i train within the electric field so get the resistor. all you have to do is go to autozone and they can give you the specs on the factory brake light bulb so you know what to ask for in radio shack

Comment

Working...
                    X