Aluminum Wheel Repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aluminum Wheel Repair?

Hello people. I recently bought some rims from the junkyard. They came off a '92 Accord EX. They are the six spoke oem rims. The problem i have is when i saw them there, they were dirty as can be. So naturally i just kinda rubbed it and saw that the dirt was coming off, so i was like ok i can clean em no problem. So half an hour later after using a two foot extension on my 30" long breaker bar i had all the rims on the floor. Walked out with em and paid 30 bux a pop with tires, not a bad deal IMO. Anyways i get home and start cleaning them. Spent some time with some Eagle one Aluminum wheel cleaner and a toothbrush and they were looking good. As i was cleaning though i found out one rim has really bad scartches by the center cap area. Further on there are really bad black spots at the edges, almost as if the coating just peeled off. My question to you guys is, is there any way to repair the scratches?? i have also used Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish to no avail. I really want to use them but want them looking clean lol. Does anyone kno of a repair shop in Chicago that would repair these for me and then powdercoat them black?? I know i have a lot of questions but any and ALL help will be appreciated. Pictures follow. Thank you very much in advance guys. Click on the pictures to make it bigger.

Originally posted by Sobeman81
    [. My question to you guys is, is there any way to repair the scratches?? i have also used Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish to no avail. I really want to use them but want them looking clean lol.
    the scratches have a little bit of depth to them. even if you get the dirt out of the grooves/scratches, you won't be able to fix the depth of the scratches with a polish.

Does anyone kno of a repair shop in Chicago that would repair these for me and then powdercoat them black??
    places to get rims repaired thread. no place in chicago listed. try a google search and/or use the regional forums (midwest) to find some info.

personally, i don't think it's worth it to get them repaired and powdercoated. typically, a powdercoat would run $40/wheel on the low end, and $100/wheel or more on the higher end. i.e. $160 to $400 or more to have them repaired and powdercoated (tires removed, wheels media blasted to clean them up and make the surface relatively smooth, then powdercoat). for that price, you could have purchased a better looking set of wheels (and aftermarket at that).

if it were me, i'd just follow the painting stock accord alloys thread in the diy section. a much cheaper alternative for a set of wheels that aren't, in my opinion, worth it to have professionally powdercoated.

absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Comment

j00 the man El...i knew ud come through..funny thing is i was thinking the same thing tonite on my way to skool..i might just do that DIY and see how they turn out..thanks man..you rock

Comment

Ya, I agree.... I would just strip 'em by hand, and refinish with some paint. You COULD repair them yourself with ALUMALOY , it can be purchased on eBay and applied with a propane torch to fill in the gouges. Then, block sand down the repaired surfaces!! There was an infomercial on TV regarding this stuff.....it is awesome. Then use the DIY to repaint them....
        1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

ty maroonaccord...i was kinda wondering if they had some sort of paste for wheels..kinda like bondo to fill em in..imma look into the alumaloy stuff see wassup with that..i also have some questions for u regarding led items..i recently been very interested in them and am working on a new project involving them and my cb7 so imma need ur input on some things..i will pm u soon lol..when i feel like typing it out..pe@ce love and chicken grease from the middle east..

Comment

Originally posted by Sobeman81
            ty maroonaccord...i was kinda wondering if they had some sort of paste for wheels..kinda like bondo to fill em in..imma look into the alumaloy stuff see wassup with that..i also have some questions for u regarding led items..i recently been very interested in them and am working on a new project involving them and my cb7 so imma need ur input on some things..i will pm u soon lol..when i feel like typing it out..pe@ce love and chicken grease from the middle east..
            Sounds good man, hit me up whenever....
            1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

Working...
            X