Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

8 pin MALE side plug for trailer lighting harness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8 pin MALE side plug for trailer lighting harness?

Anyone know if there's an 8 pin male wiring harness plug anywhere in the CB 7/9 harness that matches the configuration of the female plug in the trunk (coupe/sedan) or spare tire well (wagon) for connecting trailer lights?

Dealer parts guy said the factory trailer lighting accessory harness hasn't been available for years and no OE plugs (either male or female) are available from Honda either.

Need to build a harness to run out to a trailer hitch, prefer to connect into the existing harness plug. Have looked through the harnesses in several cars at the yards without finding one - curious if there's one buried somewhere in the electrical system that I've missed. Attached photo is of the female plug in the wagon's spare tire well.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by oldcarguy6547; 03-18-2023, 04:59 PM.

wow... somewhere I have one of these..... but .... wow..... i don't know if I threw it out, that was 10 years ago and I think i still find it every now and then in the bottom of a box. So ya, there is a harness that plugs into this and is used for trailer connections.

Comment

Plenty of old threads one place and another regarding the available-a-long-time-ago-from-Honda accessory trailer light harness, but since that harness hasn't been available for years and so few cars had trailer hitches installed the odds of finding one are essentially slim and none.

What I'm trying to figure out is whether that same 8 terminal connecter was used in a male-female plug combination anywhere else in the wiring harnesses of any similar era Honda.

If the male side of that style connector exists anywhere in any early '90's Honda (and I can find one in a yard), I can cut the plug out of the harness, get the terminals out of it and solder in new leads to build a trailer light harness.

The plug in the spare tire well of my '91 wagon only has 6 wires in the 8 bays, so the other option (if there's a 6 bay male-female plug combination somewhere in a factory harness) is to cut a pair of 6 bay plugs out of the donor harness, remove the wires and terminals from the wagon's existing female plug, swap them over to the 6 bay plug body and build the rest of the trailer harness extension using the other half of the 6 bay male-female plug pair.
      Last edited by oldcarguy6547; 03-19-2023, 01:52 AM.

Comment

The male side was always used for accessories - in this case predominantly the dashboard foglight switches. I think the only time it actually paired to an actual loose connector with pigtail wiring was on the tail lights - pretty sure one of them had the same number of pins as youre looking for. Wouldn't be surprised if some of the wire colors even matched up.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
        Current cars:
        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Thanks for the info - the plug pair in your photo sure looks like the same configuration as the one on the end of the trailer light pigtail in the spare tire well. I've dug around in the engine compartment and under the dash looking for one of those plugs, don't know why I didn't think to look at the tail light wiring.

Comment

Originally posted by oldcarguy6547 View Post
            Thanks for the info - the plug pair in your photo sure looks like the same configuration as the one on the end of the trailer light pigtail in the spare tire well. I've dug around in the engine compartment and under the dash looking for one of those plugs, don't know why I didn't think to look at the tail light wiring.
            Happy to help! I recognized the layout immediately, I had spent some time scouring similar cars at the junkyard looking for sources for this seemingly very unique plug in particular, to match it with OEM foglight buttons that didnt come with pigtails. It's an interior-only plug that you wouldnt find in the engine bay or whatever. Ultimately discovered that they exist in the most easily accessed area of a junkyard car! And it's a part that is rarely removed, and it was the same across multiple model years. Should have no problem tracking one down

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
            - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
            - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
            Current cars:
            - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
            - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Thanks for the follow-up. Pulled a couple of those connectors last time I was at P&P - chased the harness forward to the area above the left rear wheel well, which is more than enough to make up a trailer light harness, at least for a wagon.

Comment

Working...
              X