Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Big difference between 8# & 11# flywheels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big difference between 8# & 11# flywheels?

I'm deciding which bullet to bite. I drove a stockish CB with one and it was great; I'm looking to upgrade my whole drivetrain now. Would the 8# be OK in traffic? Or is the 11# the best compromise?

Originally posted by lordoja
    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

I think the 8lb would be too light, 11 and 12 should be pretty good.
    1993 Accord EX
    2011 Subaru STi

Comment

I got the fidanza, i think 8lbs and its great.

Comment

I have an 11.5lb F1 and I love it. Driveability is no different in traffic. I would recommend it to anyone. I love mine.
        1992 Accord EX 4dr 5spd - SOLD after just over a decade of ownership
        2000 Subaru Legacy GT wagon 5spd
        AHM Platinum Parts Counterperson

Comment

I have the Fidanza, and it really is not bad in traffic. Mainly because it revs faster, so you get to the revs you need in about the same time.
          Gary A.K.A. Carter
          [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Originally posted by jhnyct View Post
            I have an 11.5lb F1 and I love it. Driveability is no different in traffic. I would recommend it to anyone. I love mine.
            yeah, I'm going exedy OEM replacement clutch and F1 racing flywheel. I guess I don't want to have any issues at idle because I'll be fairly new to the lighter flywheel feeling.

Comment

i gotta act prolite around 9 pounds...it doesnt bother me at all daily driven traffic and all that.
              My Members Ride Thread

Comment

Originally posted by ceelooboob View Post
                i gotta act prolite around 9 pounds...it doesnt bother me at all daily driven traffic and all that.
                That's what's up...

Now I just gotta get my piggy bank heavy. Exedy OEM + Fidanza

im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

how different is launching on the 8 to the 11
                  Originally posted by deevergote
                  Just do what PR CB7 said.

"I'm Going For Wood" (Clickey Clickey)

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
                    That's what's up...

Now I just gotta get my piggy bank heavy. Exedy OEM + Fidanza
                    That is my current setup.
                    Gary A.K.A. Carter
                    [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Stock flywheel is 17 lbs, I measured.

I have a 12 lb Competition flywheel on my daily driver red Accord. There is a noticeable difference between stock in terms of engine rev response. However, the driveability difference is not significant.

I also have an 8.5 lb Competition flywheel on my white project Accord. There is a noticeable difference between my red Accord in terms of engine rev response. The driveability difference is noticeable compared to stock and my red Accord. However, you compensate and adjust your driving to the point where it is negligible. It is much like getting the feel of a new car.

Overall, stock, 12 or 8.5 lb flywheels are ALL driveable on the street. You adjust to each in terms of driveability.
                      Last edited by HondaFan81; 03-18-2009, 09:21 AM.
                      HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Why would they have the stock 17# flywheel then? I guess to dampen driveline shock and protect the engine?

Comment

ACT 9.9lb is great!

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
                          Why would they have the stock 17# flywheel then? I guess to dampen driveline shock and protect the engine?
                          more rotational inertia means more stored energy to help get teh car moving from a stop. less inertia (with a lighter wheel) means more gas/throttle is needed to make up for it. 17 just happened to be the weight that Honda decided would be most comfortable for the driver, without being too heavy to make the car bog (while trying to get the wheel to spin)
                          Last edited by cp[mike]; 11-07-2008, 04:16 PM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                          Current cars:
                          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

ive had a 8lb fidanza for a good while it revs faster but couldnt really feel a diff in traffic.
                            Freedom Is Not Free
                            U.S Army 02/08 Medically Discharged

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
                              ACT 9.9lb is great!

more rotational inertia means more stored energy to help get teh car moving from a stop. less inertia (with a lighter wheel) means more gas/throttle is needed to make up for it. 17 just happened to be the weight that Honda decided would be most comfortable for the driver, without being too heavy to make the car bog (while trying to get the wheel to spin)
                              Ah, so really the only disadvantage is you need more gas to get the car rolling, which you more than make up for when the car's in motion. Good shit

Comment

Working...
                              X