Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Flywheel advice for 5spd Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flywheel advice for 5spd Swap

I'm gonna be doing my swap very shortly, Already going w/ the ESP mount kit and a Exedy Stage 1 Clutch. But I need you're guys' help on deciding which flywheel would be best. I've narrowed it to two:

F1 Racing 11.5 lb flywheel 141 shipped
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/F1-RA...1%7C240%3A1318

Fidanza 8lb Flywheel 154 shipped
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FIDAN...1%7C240%3A1318

I'm kinda new to this 5spd stuff. I've driven Automatic since I got my license. I use my car all the time, all day everyday. Traffic, fun, whatever. So what do you think would be a better choice?

I do like how the Fidanza has replaceable friction pads. So that could be good in the long run.
    Fidanza 8lb flywheel
    77.78%
    F1 Racing 11.5lb flywheel
    22.22%

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

you'll like a heavier one. i miss the oem one for daily driving, the weight just carries the car so much further.

i have an oem one in my project car and it launches like a drag car because it is mated with a ACT 4 puck.
    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

i would choose the fidanza. Its ok for street use but gets annoying after a while. If you race with it and etc. It will overheat the flywheel and your clutch feel will be different from regular use. My setup is fidanza 8lb flywheel and stage 1 exedy clutch. I like the acceleration on it plus the engine braking is superb.
      either kill it or drift it...

2002 Toyota Tundra V8

Comment

I'd get the Fidanza 8lbs flywheel and you can definately feel the difference in Revv. I had the F1 Racing and I can't tell anything at all.
        Last edited by nusdogg; 06-18-2009, 06:29 PM.

Originally posted by toycar
        Braking the bank, maybe. Feeling like a boss, likely.

Comment

i read somewhere that sometimes a lighter flywheel (8lbs) is "not always" better as one that is a little more heavier (11.5lbs).

Comment

Originally posted by alkoholikwun View Post
            i read somewhere that sometimes a lighter flywheel (8lbs) is "not always" better as one that is a little more heavier (11.5lbs).
            I think thats true but a guy from another forum weighs a Fidanza 8lbs flywheel with his scale and its not exactly 8lbs it weighs like 9-11lbs. I bet the 11.5lbs is also not exactly as said in reality.
            Last edited by nusdogg; 06-18-2009, 06:31 PM.

Originally posted by toycar
            Braking the bank, maybe. Feeling like a boss, likely.

Comment

Have an 11.5 lb ACT streetlite. Love it. It has good legible timing marks (in the right spots), works well for DD duty, and is tough. It survived my last clutch explosion with no damage at all.

It is in fact 11.5 lbs
              The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

I have the 8lb flywheel from fridanza and I loved it. People will say it's bad in daily driving but I've had no issues. I see people who drive my car keep the revs up to about 3K and slowly let the clutch out. That's just the wrong way to drive it. Find the groove of things and it'll be second nature.
                Been a long time. Still alive...

Comment

Originally posted by trah View Post
                  i would choose the fidanza. Its ok for street use but gets annoying after a while. If you race with it and etc. It will overheat the flywheel and your clutch feel will be different from regular use. My setup is fidanza 8lb flywheel and stage 1 exedy clutch. I like the acceleration on it plus the engine braking is superb.
                  thats the exact setup I'm doing. I purchased a Fidanza last night. Hopefully it'll be a good combo. Got my Exedy Stg. 1 last night in the mail. Everything looks perfect w/ it.

member's ride thread
                  93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                  99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                  91 Accord SE 176k
                  97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

^good, I have Bisi's 8.9 lb'r and I love it, it really is easy to drive, even right away after I installed it.

Comment

I got the fidanza too!
                      I also have an OEM H22A7 flywheel if someones interested....still has the factory machining serrations in it.
                      Your man for wiring solutions!
                      CB7Man's Coupe H22 Swap
                      CB7Man's Sedan Resurrected From The Dead

Comment

From the ATR? Anything special about it?

Comment

Working...
                        X