Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

New Cat...Which one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Cat...Which one?

Currently Im running with a DC header, no cat straight pipe, ApexI WS cat-back...and Im really getting annoyed with the raspy sound it produces between 2k-3k. So Im lookin for a new high-flow cat...plus TN is getting emissions laws starting up.

I found this Magnaflow Catalytic Converter - ALL Mdls. $93.72-anyone have any opinions of this?

Random Tech cat-heard good things from people on here.

Any other bands worth looking into?

Again, I want a cat that isnt going to hurt performance, it must sound good, has to pass emissions...and price really isnt a issue.

Jay
    Hittin Switches - Draggin XhaustAlways Under Construction

i believe you can get megan racing cat's on ebay for like $40 + shipping........ megan racing is actually, from what ive heard, i pretty damn good company..........-justin-

MY SH!T FOR SALE!

H23A1 (60,000 miles)
    tranny (no grinds)
    ECU
    DC header w/ heat wrap
    full exhaust with angled N1 Canister....
    $1000 obo delivered

SOLD!

Comment

Are you sure those Megan ones are real cats, and not just test pipes?

But anyways, I would look for a cat that's flanged, becuase most of them you have to weld on, and that means you have to weld to your header and cat back, so its just harder to replace anything when you do that.

Comment

99.9% sure....... it shows the box they come in as well so they are real "Megan Racing" cat's and it describes them as High Flow Cat's.......-justin-

MY SH!T FOR SALE!

H23A1 (60,000 miles)
        tranny (no grinds)
        ECU
        DC header w/ heat wrap
        full exhaust with angled N1 Canister....
        $1000 obo delivered

SOLD!

Comment

most of the megan cats are test pipes.. i have one. It also makes a raspy sound, and i am gonna replace it soon. Any of the better known cats around 100 will work. The only prob is it usually costs ~90 for a good hi flo, but then the price jumps an extra 60 bucks for flanges to be welded on.

Comment

dont get a megan...get a carsound or random tech.
            92 DA9 // 93 D21 4x4 // 92 CB7

Comment

jay, go with random tech. not only will u pass emissions, but you won't lose out on performance either. they come with 2.25 inlet/outlets and are flanged for a direct bolt on. catco also makes high flow cats, but are not flanged so a muffler shop would have to custom weld them so it can bolt on, instead of welding it directly to the header or exhaust.
              5.6L V8 32V DOHC
              JDM HERITAGE - US BUILT

Comment

megan= :thumbsdow

Comment

Originally posted by FushigiRES
                  megan= :thumbsdow
                  To have loved and lost is better than to have never loved at all #CB7Life

Comment

Originally posted by PRIMOCB7
                    jay, go with random tech. not only will u pass emissions, but you won't lose out on performance either. they come with 2.25 inlet/outlets and are flanged for a direct bolt on. catco also makes high flow cats, but are not flanged so a muffler shop would have to custom weld them so it can bolt on, instead of welding it directly to the header or exhaust.
                    Yea I was thinking about RandomTech, but I stumbled upon that Magnaflow one(also has flanges on it) and wanted some other opinions. BTW, where did you get yours from?

Jay

Comment

High flow cats won't work as they are a straight-through design...which means they won't cut down on the "rasp" you guys are experiencing. Go with something called a baffled resonator...it will help A TON!

Comment

i`ll just add in on this.... i saw a dyno run on a 2000 civic Si, and he ran it 100% stock with a generic high flow CAT that was barely emissions legal then added a test pipe, he had dyno graphs for both, he only made about 1-2hp difference but the tq. in the upper RPMs were significantly affected, (the test pipe made more power/ torque up top)... so technically speaking, u should feel a difference, hear a difference.... but really it should all be the same, although i have heard when adding a test pipe the power band or range will move up a couple hundred RPM, (i added a test pipe after having a stock CAT, but i also added a DC 4-2-1 and 2 1/2 tubing for the exhaust.. so the power gain was significant, but i still cant tell ya only for the test pipe, or the CAT)..

P.S.- after u pick one give a cool review..... laters-

GET A TUNING QUOTE FROM ME AZ PEOPLE

"TÜNE.FREE Engine Management!"

...::SHAWNEE::...

Comment

Originally posted by akkordlayinkit
                          Yea I was thinking about RandomTech, but I stumbled upon that Magnaflow one(also has flanges on it) and wanted some other opinions. BTW, where did you get yours from?

Jay
                          got the random tech from a local shop about 2yrs. ago; but if the magnaflow has flanges and isn't like a "test pipe" i'd give it a try. for $90+, not bad at all.

Originally posted by WeDgE
                          High flow cats won't work as they are a straight-through design...which means they won't cut down on the "rasp" you guys are experiencing. Go with something called a baffled resonator...it will help A TON!
                          you're talking about those high flow "test pipes" usually found on ebay, which gives off the raspy sound. a genuine high flow cat such as random tech, catco, etc.. serve their puroposes in emissions and performance, w/o that annoying buzz.
                          5.6L V8 32V DOHC
                          JDM HERITAGE - US BUILT

Comment

I just ordered the MagnaFlow cat...for $100 its worth a try, plus I couldnt find a decent looking company(off the internet) to buy an RandomTech cat from...

I'll let you know how it works out when it gets here.

Jay

Comment

random technology is definatly the way to go, they are AWSOME i installed one on eucalyptises car and WOW its so high quality. magnaflow.............
                              To have loved and lost is better than to have never loved at all #CB7Life

Comment

Working...
                              X