Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Let's talk H22 transmissions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's talk H22 transmissions

On the USDM H22 tranny, stock gearing with a MFactory 5.15 FD and 23" slicks, 4th gear tops out at 105mph. With 24.5" slicks, 4th tops out at 112mph. I'm interested to hear from people using this 5.15 FD, because 4th gear tops out very low.

Now, with the 4.64 final drive, 4th gear tops out at 125mph with 24.5" slicks, and 117mph with 23" slicks.

This is with a 8500rpm limit.

Is the majority of people who use the 5.15 final drive using it for auto-cross only(?), because the 4th gear trap speeds are very low.
    Current 2016 Ford F150 XLT Sport
    Past 1990 Accord EX Sedan
    Past 1990 Accord LX Sedan
    Past 1991 Accord LX Sedan
    Past 1993 Accord LX Wagon
    Current 1991 Accord EX Wagon

The FD gearing in the H22 transmission is the whole reason I decided to stick with the F22 transmission with my swap. I was considering it at first for the short gearing, because I was looking forward to the acceleration, but I later reconsidered because I am using nitrous so with the long F22 transmission gearing I can spray longer and really get up there with the top speed, especially since I'm using an engine as rev friendly as the F20a DOHC.

Now, the H22a transmission with the F22a transmission FD, that's a different story. But I'll let somebody else get into that because I don't have any personal experience with it.
    R.I.P. Veronica - JDM F20A swapped 2.0 Si wannabe.

Comment

Originally posted by CB7 Sleeper View Post
      The FD gearing in the H22 transmission is the whole reason I decided to stick with the F22 transmission with my swap. I was considering it at first for the short gearing, because I was looking forward to the acceleration, but I later reconsidered because I am using nitrous so with the long F22 transmission gearing I can spray longer and really get up there with the top speed, especially since I'm using an engine as rev friendly as the F20a DOHC.

Now, the H22a transmission with the F22a transmission FD, that's a different story. But I'll let somebody else get into that because I don't have any personal experience with it.
      Short gears would be better for Nitrous as well. You say you want top speed, what are you doing, the mile? Unless you have a car that is trapping in the 150's in the 1/4 mile, the F22a tranny is worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by fatboy1185 View Post
        Short gears would be better for Nitrous as well. You say you want top speed, what are you doing, the mile? Unless you have a car that is trapping in the 150's in the 1/4 mile, the F22a tranny is worthless.
        I'd like to do the 1/2 mile, and I am talking more about a race from a roll being from highway speeds, and a track with long straights.
        R.I.P. Veronica - JDM F20A swapped 2.0 Si wannabe.

Comment

4th gear trap speeds are very low.
          That's why we have 5th gear

Comment

what about this

m2y4 1-4th

m2l5 5th

since prelude and accord trans dont interchange

what about the f22 prelude trans 5th?
            Originally posted by deevergote
            Just do what PR CB7 said.

"I'm Going For Wood" (Clickey Clickey)

Comment

Originally posted by preludeman92 View Post
              That's why we have 5th gear
              Shifting into 5th gear in the 1/4 is not that ideal, the gearing ratio is horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by PR CB7 View Post
                what about this

m2y4 1-4th

m2l5 5th

since prelude and accord trans dont interchange

what about the f22 prelude trans 5th?
                I'm not worried about 5th gear at all. I want the best gearing for 1-4th. My only concern is the low 4th gear trap speed with the aftermarket final drives.

Comment

I think the 5.15 with 24.5" slicks would be the best bet. I just need to figure out if 24.5" slicks are overkill for a simple, low horse power app.

Comment

Hmmm I figured the topic of improving the long geared H22 tranny would be popular, but I was mistaken.

Comment

I would also like to try MFactory components, heard some good things. And yes 24.5" slicks are a little much for lower hp apps. I'm somewhere between 270-300hp and I'm using 22" slicks and they're great.

SOLD!!
                      Boosted H22
                      375whp 298 ft/lbs at 15psi

MEMBERS RIDE THREAD<<<CLICK FOR VIDS AND COOL PICS

Comment

But even with 23" slicks and the 5.15, 4th gear at 8500rpms would be only at 105mph lol.

Comment

o.k, but what is your expectations? At 105 you can still put down a decent 1/4 mile

SOLD!!
                          Boosted H22
                          375whp 298 ft/lbs at 15psi

MEMBERS RIDE THREAD<<<CLICK FOR VIDS AND COOL PICS

Comment

Originally posted by mozzandherb View Post
                            o.k, but what is your expectations? At 105 you can still put down a decent 1/4 mile
                            I'll probably be trapping in the 115 area. I could use the 4.64, which would work with 23" tires, but I would be losing power due to the lower final drive.

Comment

On the USDM H22 tranny, stock gearing with a MFactory 5.15 FD and 23" slicks, 4th gear tops out at 105mph. With 24.5" slicks, 4th tops out at 112mph. I'm interested to hear from people using this 5.15 FD, because 4th gear tops out very low.

Now, with the 4.64 final drive, 4th gear tops out at 125mph with 24.5" slicks, and 117mph with 23" slicks.

This is with a 8500rpm limit.

Is the majority of people who use the 5.15 final drive using it for auto-cross only(?), because the 4th gear trap speeds are very low.
                              HAHAHAHA My FIFTH gear inthe Saenz trans is 1.03:1 (Closer to an OEM 4th)with a stock FD ratio of 4.26 I get 150 MPH at 8500 on 26" tall tires.... Tops out at 123 or some shit in 4th... SO I go through the traps well into 5th gear, but it full throttle shifts smooth as butter, even though its syncroed and not dog engaged... Sexy though and doesnt break. And I beat the shit out of it.

I Broke 15 trannys in my pile before figuring out some shit... And building this trans.... There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING you can do to get an OEM geared tranny to hold up of say north of 400 FT LBS.. No Cryo or heat treating is going to do any good, but get you a few more runs.... Have a friend that had racersteve treat his and they lasted a tad longer but still broke.

Shifting into 5th gear in the 1/4 is not that ideal, the gearing ratio is horrible.
                              4th gen m2f4 has a pretty nice short 5th.. ALOT shorter than the M2Y4 or the like... I have a spare 5th set if you want to try them... I personally find the spacing of the M2F4 to be the best OEM offering IMO (although as mentioned highway cruise is about 500 rpm higher)...

ALSO the input shaft has 1 less tooth on it for 1 and 2 that allows it to be a tad stronger..... It will also replace aeither m2b4 or a 4 input shafts as it is the same (the M2Y4 is not)... The weak point of the H trannys is 4th gear and secon gear.... The Y4s like to break either 2 or 4, but the F4 Ive only broke fourth... You like to see pics???

LOL

Hit me up if you need help
                              Last edited by Supergenius; 12-22-2009, 06:08 AM.
                              750 WHP/575 TQ CD5 Raping a street near you....
                              realHomeMadeTurbo.com / Kaizenspeed.com / LSD Motorsports / Tempest Racing /SpeedFactory /ExplicitSpeedPerformance

GFI HOLLA!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cdiz0k0Rudw

Comment

Working...
                              X