Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

block guards "good or bad"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

block guards "good or bad"?

outa curiosity what are all your opinions on block guards? and secondly has anyone tried the liquid aluminum block guard? i've heard it done but never heard of any testimony... good or bad

They work well. However you should have the block squared up after installing one. Such as a line bore and have a torque plate put on to check for cylinders being out of round. That's the most common problems of installing one. If someone doesn't do those machining processes while the block is apart its power you could be losing. More so on the cyln being out of round. A line bore is just a good idea for a seasoned engine when rebuilding.

Comment

Block guards warp cylinders. They only brace a portion of the cylinder.

I never heard of the liquid aluminum block guard.

Comment

liquid aluminum block guards have been done on b and d series blocks and the product used is from a company called DEVCON. my buddy did one for a guy who cracked a sleeve on a previous b16 and the guy never ended up boosting it. its a long drawn process of heating the block up after pouring this liquid epoxy" aluminum" into the deck the drilling out the holes

Comment

sorry not pouring the entire block.. you fill it with sea salt up to the oil hole for your oil pump the do the pour. then wash out the salt with water.

Comment

For the work necessary, and the consequences if it fails... best to just resleeve the block, honestly.

Comment

the end result is about an inch and a half thick block guard..

Comment

agreed deev ... im just looking for alternatives to sleeving for the time beeing
                only im trying to stay under the 5k mark here.. what ever happened to budget build? LOL!.. this thing is a money pit!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                  Block guards warp cylinders. They only brace a portion of the cylinder.

I never heard of the liquid aluminum block guard.
                  Aluminum isn't going to warp cast iron easily. The block guards should slid in place rather easily, then be set in place with some epoxy on the block side.

Its crazy cheaper than resleeving. If I would actually resleeve an engine god knows it wouldn't be a f series sohc.

F engines are 300 bucks, pretty cheap to just blow em up

Liquid block guard??? F that.

Block guard simply "close the deck" and when installed correctly will not warp cyln walls. Im not for using them mind you, but the damn things do work. I also prefer resleeve. An H motor that is.
                  Last edited by MortsAccord; 05-04-2012, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Its a good alternative to sleeving. Bang for buck is a major plus. Just like stated above though get the proper machining done afterwards. Getting ready to do one on my current project
                    Ohio CB7's Midwest CB7's Ohioaccords.com
                    "tellin you dude nacho dick cheese is on the rise! soon it'll be next to spam on shelves!"

92 lx sedan- JY heaven
                    93 Ex still getn stuff in an out
                    02 Avalanche

Comment

Originally posted by MortsAccord View Post
                      Aluminum isn't going to warp cast iron easily. The block guards should slid in place rather easily, then be set in place with some epoxy on the block side.

Its crazy cheaper than resleeving. If I would actually resleeve an engine god knows it wouldn't be a f series sohc.

F engines are 300 bucks, pretty cheap to just blow em up

Liquid block guard??? F that.

Block guard simply "close the deck" and when installed correctly will not warp cyln walls. Im not for using them mind you, but the damn things do work. I also prefer resleeve. An H motor that is.
                      $300 is cheap, yeah... but if you're adding forged internals that could get smashed if the cylinder warps, or a worked head that could get trashed if a piston should get throw into it, and the value goes up considerably. A block guard on an otherwise stock F series would be useless anyway, as the stock sleeves can withstand more boost pressure than the stock pistons can.

To me, using a block guard in any "build" is no better than using a SAFC for tuning. It will work to some extent, but it strikes me as more of a halfassed way of doing things.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                        $300 is cheap, yeah... but if you're adding forged internals that could get smashed if the cylinder warps, or a worked head that could get trashed if a piston should get throw into it, and the value goes up considerably. A block guard on an otherwise stock F series would be useless anyway, as the stock sleeves can withstand more boost pressure than the stock pistons can.

To me, using a block guard in any "build" is no better than using a SAFC for tuning. It will work to some extent, but it strikes me as more of a halfassed way of doing things.
                        youre right but some tuning is better than none. it's a mild modification for a mild build. sleeving is often unnecessary. i think honing with a torque plate is more important which is why my 87mm build is taking so long. i could just spend 500 and get a torque plate that ill use maybe once.
                        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

On a low-hp streetable engine, the open deck design rarely presents a problem, from what I've seen. Truthfully, you really don't need more than 300whp in a daily driven FWD car! Traction becomes such an issue beyond 300whp that the car is almost not fun or safe to drive!

Comment

Truth be told, from everything I have seen you would just be better off sleeving the block.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=189897 MRT
                            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...09#post3003309 EF hatch build

Comment

Have you read the conversation to this point?

Comment

Working...
                              X