Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

High Reving f22a4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High Reving f22a4

I was thinking about getting a delta 272 cam regrind, valve springs and retainers. You think it is wise to make a high reving f22 motor? Springs were tested to 9000 RPMs. i figure the cam regrind will still be able to make power at that high RPMs.

Also what are valve locks for? anyway the bottom is the links for where i was thinking about purchasing all this? so would this be a good idea or bad? if it helps my motor has 125k miles on it. daily maintainence done as usual. car is 5 spd.

http://www.f22parts.com/item_Singlevalvesprings.htm
    http://www.f22parts.com/item_Retainers.htm

I'd go with crowers, I believe they are rated at 10 or 11 thousand rpm...

Caleb
    My official vouch thread!

Updated!!! --> My official turbo progress thread

Comment

F22's bottom end won't like that high of RPMs...

Comment

what do mean by daily matenance? u do things to it everyday, like what an oil change? lol

Comment

If you want a high reving stock motor you'll need more then just head work.
          a complete bottome end rebuild woould also be a must if you're reving higer then the stock redline often.
          ~~~~~~~

Comment

I've heard bad things about f22parts.com... and your gonna need a new crank if you want to rev that high
            Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

Comment

Originally posted by pwrusr
              If you want a high reving stock motor you'll need more then just head work.
              a complete bottome end rebuild woould also be a must if you're reving higer then the stock redline often.
              I relized that... I was doing some research on this and I found out that everything needs to be as light as possible. You also need new rods and valvetrain, engine must be blueprinted and balanced. But really, it's useless to rev your engine higher without a turbo or supercharger because there is a point(when NA) that you can't get any more air in, so... Defeating the purpose. Otherwise, it's great if you had a turbo to push a lot of air in at high rpms. Don't flame me if I'm in the wrong, but this is just my input.

Caleb

Comment

i had a bad problem with the a4 and i know some other people that had bad experience with a4....... there is something in the bottom end that makes the piston brake the exaust valve s at hight rpm..... a while back i thought maybe of a tie rod allowing the piston to travle more than it should who knows. i didn't get the engine back when it broke the exaust valve on # 1 piston for the second time in 3 months(coming out of I 95.)
                so start with the bottom end and work ur way up...
                are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

i dont think it will last with high revs. i agree, crower stuff is way better. the locks are actually called keepers, they hold the spring/retainer assembly in place on the valve stem

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=22013
                  cb7tuner.com Cleveland division

Comment

Originally posted by 92HondaEX
                    But really, it's useless to rev your engine higher without a turbo or supercharger because there is a point(when NA) that you can't get any more air in, so... Defeating the purpose. Otherwise, it's great if you had a turbo to push a lot of air in at high rpms. Don't flame me if I'm in the wrong, but this is just my input.

Caleb
                    yes that's somewhat true. that's where cams and a port and polish coms in handy

but with all this work you might get the mid to high end of a stockish to lightly modded H22 for more money.

It's a cool Idea if you're just tring to be different from the swappers with H22's. but the low end (below 4krpm) will be pretty crappy with a built up F22a4.
                    ~~~~~~~

Comment

actually 93accordexcoupe... i do change my oil everyday. Its the only way to keep the oil pure and prevent that sludge from happening. haha nah f' dat... i would probably be prosecuted from the EPA or something for taking advantage of natural resources.

anyway i feel u guys on this one. I just thought that our motors had a short r/s ratio so it would be doing much damage to the walls at high RPMs... unlike how ls/vtec is to integras.

well 92ex... thanks for the heads up on f22parts.com. their parts doesnt seem to have name brands or any type of name for their parts so it kinda dawned on me that they arent legit. Also there are a lot of high reving cars still using their OEM cranks. They are heavy but they are pretty strong. If im not mistaken a lot of domestic cars dont have that trait in their cranks so thats why it is known to swap them out in high power output. could be wrong tho so dont bust my nuts on this one.

also pwrusr... i did wanna be different and semi-build a f22 but i do realize for that amount of money i could be making like twice as much power building and h22 swap. i dunno... i just want ppl to quit talking shiet about accords and saying they are slow. an h22 swap could accomplish that but that is cheating IMO. I can allllmost keep up with my friends with integras but im assuming they are just sh*tty drivers. After i get my cam in and bored TB then this will all change. i will prove to them an accord is faster than them and take me pride in that. but some of them are already getting parts for a turbo set up so i gotta do it quick LOL!

so does anybody know how high the stock valvetrain can rev up to with a delta 272 in an f22a4 motor... or any f22?

Comment

Originally posted by 92HondaEx
                        But really, it's useless to rev your engine higher without a turbo or supercharger because there is a point(when NA) that you can't get any more air in, so... Defeating the purpose. Otherwise, it's great if you had a turbo to push a lot of air in at high rpms. Don't flame me if I'm in the wrong, but this is just my input.

Caleb

what about motorcycles? they are n/a and they can make power up to like 14k RPMs... i think. nah i dunno if they are making much power up there but they redline is around there. not flaming... just sharing info thats all. i see what you're trying to say tho. is this a known fact or are u just saying it? b/c if its true i would like to know at what RPM this would happen at. again not flaming if it sounds like i am. im a learning person i would like to learn this.
                        Last edited by SenseiAccord; 05-03-2005, 03:10 AM.

Comment

It's not as bad as everyone seems to think it is.. making power with a sohc F22...

It's doable... you could probably hit the 200whp with alot of time money and fine tuning...

But there's no reason why 175whp isn't a reasonable goal... puts you up there with H22's...and it can be done for less money than buying an H22 longblock if you use yoyur money wisely...

IMO the 9k goal is a bit unrealistic... you are going to have a track only car.. .it's going to suck on the street...you will have civic like tq below 3000-3500 and then it will just hit like vtec after that...

If you really want to rev in the 7-8k range then just destroke it... H22 crank and rods and maybe some custom pistons...or just get high cr pistons and mill the head... Some stiff D16 springs and the 272 and you should be making power up to at least the stock redline if not past 7k...

IMO a stock, low mileage valvetrain should be able to handle the 272 at 7-7500k without binding or floating... that's if all the springs are still square and holding decent pressures...

My springs were still well within spec after running the 272 for awhile, repeated jaunts to 7k and a few times to 7200 and a broken timing belt... the F22 springs are pretty tough...
                          Last edited by ZigenBallZ; 05-03-2005, 07:59 AM.
                          RIP Lifsatrip7

Comment

I don't think the Accord hating will stop soon, cause they don't see the light. I've been thinking of supercharging my F22A6, for the extra low-end torque. I happen to do more in-town driving than highway, so I think a supercharger would be more effective. Until then, I don't rev my engine past 5200rpm because it stops making power over that. I also thought about turbocharging... Only time and money will tell!

Caleb

Comment

Originally posted by 92HondaEX
                              I don't think the Accord hating will stop soon, cause they don't see the light. I've been thinking of supercharging my F22A6, for the extra low-end torque. I happen to do more in-town driving than highway, so I think a supercharger would be more effective. Until then, I don't rev my engine past 5200rpm because it stops making power over that. I also thought about turbocharging... Only time and money will tell!

Caleb
                              as far as i know, no supercharger is avaliable for the accord. and rev past 5200. just because it peaks there doesnt mean theres no power available above it. when you rev higher your more apt to drop into the "sweet spot" of the RPM range again, and will most likley end up with faster times . . . if tahts what your going for that is
                              -Mark-
                              CB7
                              CD5

And if i could swim I'd swim out to you in the ocean
                              Swim out to where you were floating in the dark.

Comment

Working...
                              X