Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

anybody got a how to on removing power steering?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anybody got a how to on removing power steering?

i got my h23 head going on next week so i was just gonna go ahead and pull the power steering so i'd get used to not having it... but i can't really figure out how to either get the belt off.... or just pull the whole pump and plug the lines or pull the lines.... and i can't find a how to or anything about it.... if anybody knows plz let me know

SOLD!

::disclaimer - im not responsible for any damage you may due to your car::

alright now to remove the whole power steering assembly do this..

1. disconnect all the fluid hoses at the pump
    2. remove the bolt and nut on the adjustment assembly, the bolt your removing is on the right(drivers side)
    3. remove the pivot bolt
    4. remove the pump

**to remove just the belt just adjust the tensioner bolt**

try that and if you get stuck i might have enough time to take pictures

Comment

if your just wanting to get use to not having power steering just drain your power steering fluid =P

Comment

umm.... the pumps gotta go anyway.... its in the way of the DOHC..... so i'm just gonna take it off..

SOLD!

Comment

You may want to experiment first! You can do this by just taking the belt off and nothing else. The pump itself swings up and down for belt tensioning purposes. So, look underneath the pump itself, and you'll see the tensioner that pushes the pump up to set the belt tension. Loosen the tensioner, and then loosen 1 nut at the top and 1 nut at the bottom. Those hold the pump in position after the tension is set. It's hard to describe, but just look, and picture how the pump swings up and down to set the tension. You'll get it, good luck.

Dan

Comment

you made it sound at first like you were just attempting to remove the belt, but try those steps, i gotta goto work but ill be back later and if you get stuck ill take pictures of what needs to be removed

Comment

btw if you get a chance goto autozone and pick up and haynes or some other manual

Comment

i need a manual.... i know... i'm broke tho

umm... i just took off the belt for the time being.... i drove it around the block...... and i really like it... i've driven a couple of cars without ps and its not that bad.... plus it seemed to free up my engine a little bit.... i need to get rid of the ac next...... but that's for some otehr weekend.... the ac chokes out my car all the time...

SOLD!

Comment

Get on Ebay and buy a disk with the Manual on it, $1.99

Or there's a link somewhere for a downloadable copy, but I bought a disk so I could take it anywhere.
                  -Jay

Comment

why not just remove the pump???

Comment

it'll be like next week wehn i actually remove it... the only thing that's killing me is the freakin 225/50/17s..... i need new tires soooo dang bad... i think some 205/40/17 would make it a wee bit better

SOLD!

Comment

Originally posted by g-wagon
                        i need a manual.... i know... i'm broke tho

umm... i just took off the belt for the time being.... i drove it around the block...... and i really like it... i've driven a couple of cars without ps and its not that bad.... plus it seemed to free up my engine a little bit.... i need to get rid of the ac next...... but that's for some otehr weekend.... the ac chokes out my car all the time...
                        That's cool, wasn't sure if you were totally confused or not. The A/C really only drains power when it's on, you'll see when you remove the compressor and turn it over by hand, and that's not even compressing fluid! Be sure to take all of it out though to get the full effect (including evaporator too!). Good luck w/ your plans

Comment

when you remove the pump how are you going to keep fluid in the rack? cuz im confused on how to do that. do you plug the hoses? just loop the hose? i know its def gotta be bad to just run the car with no fluid...haha hopefully somebody can clear it up and help me out too

Comment

Cut the freakin' belt.... that's what I did. It's a big change from going from power to no power, you might wanna reconsider if you are week and small.

Caleb
                            My official vouch thread!

Updated!!! --> My official turbo progress thread

Comment

Working...
                            X