Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

customized F22a4 manifold V.S. MEGAN/DC header

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

customized F22a4 manifold V.S. MEGAN/DC header

ok, i have heard that the F22a4 or A6 header is almost just as good as a MEGAN or DC header, so i thought about it and everyone says the same thing, the downpipe is the part that keeps the stock header from being as efficient as the aftermarket header, so i thought to myself, i need a new CAT (the OEM one was welded in) and i need a new flex pipe (it is trashed after 245k).... so i got this new motor, showed good compression, and i already have 2 1/2 inch exhaust and SRI, so i go to TOKYO SPEED PROs out here in AZ, for a new flex pipe and 2 1/2 tubing to go to the CAT it costs (from them) 125bux flat, so i say, ok, since the stock header is very much not any shittier than a aftermarket header then lets replace the bad part, cheaper than the megan header, so i did it, so now it goes from the 2 downpipe wherwe it collects it is a 2 1/2inch opening, going through a 2 1/2 inch HIGH FLOW CAT, then through a 2 1/2 inch crush bent exhaust... so let me say, since removing the stock downpipe (at the collector) i gained a very good amount of performance, and by this i mean, stock collector downpipe diameter is less than 2 inches... no joke, cause on the out side that isn`t it, there is a second pipe on the inside (some of u know what i mean).. so it gets crushed very badly, and even the aftermarket headers (dont mean 2 or more) cost a lot and might only have a 2inch or similar collector cause most of the expensive brands are smog and CARB legal and they try to keep OEM spec or close 2... so i did yes lose some bottom end torque, but now the car wants to actually pull to 6.3k and not just to 5.8k (which helps a lot)..... so i mean, if u can do it, then do it... because thus making the downpipe bigger then u can make the exhaust escape at an earlier interval and our 2.2 liters need this for more top end H.P. cause that is what we are lacking... but see here is the thing, we dont run open header cause A) it is annoying and B) cause we lose H.P. cause of no back pressure, but this setup helped a lot.. and i am thinking now, i have a low mileage valvetrain installed, SAFC and DELTA 282 regrind and H22 tranny on the way, wonder if some tuning and this thing will pull to a full 6.8k fuel cut-off (yes i know the 272 is good but i talked to the owner of DELTA and he assured me that he has sold 282 regrinds in the past to SOHC civic and accord guys and u can run them on A) stock valvetrain and B) with lower compression engines and C) with very little tuning it will make substantially more power.... so i went through this and this cam, even though bigger, can help more than the 272)
    Last edited by TÜNE.FREE; 09-05-2005, 03:51 AM.

GET A TUNING QUOTE FROM ME AZ PEOPLE

"TÜNE.FREE Engine Management!"

...::SHAWNEE::...

Damn that was hard to read...a good read nonetheless though. Here's my take I guess:

From what I understand, all the stock parts are made to make peak torque at like 4500rpm (that's what it feels like), including the pipes on the stock headers. I dunno how different aftermarket header primaries are but I imagine they help move the powerband up a little...as far as the collector, it's been widely agreed and accepted that the key to more power from the headers is to open up that collector...nobody tried it though so I'm glad you did and confirmed what we thought.

As far as the cam, I have no actual experience with them but I think the 282 will be a little extreme; then again if the Delta dude says so then it's probably all good. I basically have the same plans as you (Delta 272, I/H/E, stage 2 clutch) and I'm hoping to get into the low/mid 15's...if he says the 282 is fine for stock then that'll bring me 1 step closer...

Originally posted by lordoja
    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

true, and i called him twice just to make sure, and he was saying that it is rare that he grinds those for civic and accord guys, but sometimes he will grind them when people ask for extreme grinds and have or are planning on fuel tuning, he actually told me of his 1989 integra (basically a ZC motor except for cams) anyways, he told me he had I/H/E and installed the cams after he reground them from stock to the 282 spec. and he said it idled like shit but man did it pull harder in there than the 272.. so i mean ya, u might need to tune, but it is worth it, because i know where people can get SAFC`s for cheap... i mean it isn`t hard to find one.. but he was running it stock so with tuning it can only get better...

Comment

Hmmm...if I get another car the 282 might not be too bad. Hell, I might go for more. BTW I think stock H22 VTEC cams have a duration of 275 and a .432" lift...so with high comp pistons and I/H/E you're def. looking at more than stock H22 power, but with a shitty idle.

im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

maybe... i know that a B18b1 with I/H/E/CAT/404 cams and a SAFC street tune u can make 150-155, i have heard of 10 people thatmade somewhere around this power (150-155) with that exact same setup, so maybe i can make that with similar mods, dont know yet, but someone on here had a dyno sheet with I/H/E and made 117 i believe and 126ft lbs. after cam i hope to make around 130hp and 140ft lbs. it might be possible after tuning but dont know yet...

Comment

and noone has input on this.. well, anyone else i mean...

Comment

sounds good, a megan header I think will be my next mod. still unsure if I want to replace the cat at that $$$

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
              "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
              "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

Yo what are the duration on those Crower 404/405's? People talk about them like God on nonvtec.com...

Comment

well to them they r god.. i mean dam, 15whp gain with no tuning and a near perfect idle...

Comment

and noone has input on this.. well, anyone else i mean...

Comment

I got some input

I think the downpipe is just as good as aftermarket header But I still would go with a megan header (myself) for chepa rather than spend 125 on just a downpipe...

Dynamic racing

Look out for 4 point cb7 strut bars for dohc!!!

Originally posted by deevergote
                      bleh... i just put like 5 ounces of vodka in a 12 oz cup of mango iced tea...

Comment

The power's not in the headers...it's in the collector. Hopefully I'll be able to get that MR header and get a custom collector made...

Comment

Working...
                        X