Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

How would it drive with no power steering??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How would it drive with no power steering??

Hey guys how would my car drive if i took the powersteering off?? like Unorthodox racing has some pullies that Bypass the Power steering and A/C compressor.. Also i think it would be cool to clean up the engine bay.. Like take out those two things and relocate the battery to the trunk and relocate wires and such.. Make it look less cramped.
    R.I.P. Landon Hilburn 06-27-08

Soon to enter the family.
    CG Coupe!

92 Accord EX Sedan (Newest project)

Members ride thread 92 EX Sedan
    Members ride thread old 91 LX Coupe

it'd drive with no powersteering? have you ever driven a car w/o p/s?
    it is a bitch at first but once you get it moving it is easier to turn...

but go for it if you can handle no a/c and p/s
    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Most of the swapped guys I know are without PS. A lot of them claim to love it. The only time I could imagine it being annoying is when trying to park in a tight spot (like parallel parking in the city). Supposedly you get a better feel for the road.

When I had my swap done, my mechanics made a custom line for my PS, so I still have that. I'm getting an Unorthodox pulley for it, so it'll help some... Personally, I like my power steering. I MIGHT take it out when I build my motor, but only because I'd want to pull every bit of power from the motor (and reduce the weight as much as possible) I'm already running without AC (it's there, not hooked up... prolly coming out) and that's not too bad. My fiancee hates it, but I don't mind so much!

Comment

try it, it won't hurt anything and you can easily switch it back. About 8 out of 10 ppl that i know that have tried it end up leaving it off.

Oh yea and grab the steering wheel underhanded and you won't have trouble turning the wheel all the way around even at a dead stop.
        Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

Yeah, i have no PS and Accords are so light (at least the CBs are) that you hardley even notice. Plus, you car is more responsive at speed.

Comment

hardly notice? I definitely noticed when i didnt have ps. Its not that bad, but I prefer ps.
            Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

Comment

Granite CB7 has no power steering and i drove his car. i liked it. takes a little getting used to but it was great. i may do it to my civic.....hmmmm. at a stop it feels as if his car isnt even running its so quiet and idles so smooth.

Comment

less rotating mass of the crank is never a bad thing in my book! ive never really driven a honda without PS... but if you dont mind using the extra musscle ... then the gain in hp/ weight savings is worth it (hence the reason i dont have A/C in my car!)

Comment

Only sucks if your tires are really sticky...I mean really sticky. For most street tires its just fine.

Comment

builds your arm muscle..

i can still turn the wheel with one hand while parking.

And like deev said i love it!
                    H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

Give it a try! Find a safe place, no cars around... get a little bit of speed (30km/hr or so) and then shut off the ignition. Feel how it handles.

I just swapped in an H22 and my PS isn't hooked up yet... It's not that bad at all, although I do pizza delivery in this car and have to do a lot of tight turns at very low speeds, so it will be hooked back up soon.

Comment

i drove without it for a year or so, then hooked it back up... now its back off again until next summer probably.

like iblizzard said, try clicking off the motor while rolling and see how it feels... or just remove the belt, it wont hurt anything and youll feel what its like.

sometimes its nice, sometimes its not - its all preference really, but being in a city-ish area and having to parallel park sometimes, ill probably leave it on again.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                        Current cars:
                        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by 91accord4door
                          Granite CB7 has no power steering and i drove his car. i liked it. takes a little getting used to but it was great. i may do it to my civic.....hmmmm. at a stop it feels as if his car isnt even running its so quiet and idles so smooth.
                          Thanks Billy! You need to lose your P/S too, you won't notice it's gone

Yeah, I'd say give it a try. I really like the way it drives and reacts to the road, it's more fun overall. Just think of it this way: When you take the belt off (leaving pump/lines alone) it'll be hardest b/c you are pushing fluid around back to the pump= restriction. When you loop the 2 lines at the pump together (removing pump and bracket) the steering will get alot easier b/c the pump isn't there to restrict flow. It'll even get easier if you loop the lines right at the rack and put a breather on there to balance the 2 sides of the rack!

Good luck w/ your decision and if you don't like it, then keep it, there's nothing wrong w/ P/S!

Dan

Comment

i didnt like it because since it was so hard to turn i was afraid i was going to break something, lol
                            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k
                              i didnt like it because since it was so hard to turn i was afraid i was going to break something, lol
                              Yeah, you're so right, it could be possible and breaking the steering-shaft would not be fun! I prob. wouldn't suggest trying to turn the wheels at a dead stop, it doesn't feel right to do that

Comment

Working...
                              X