Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

h22a+boost...what tuning options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

h22a+boost...what tuning options?

okay guys...i pretty much got everthing i need to make this boost project work. the question i have is what should i use to tune/run this setup? as of right now, all i have is a chipped p13, v-afc, and avc-r with dsm 450 injectors. what should i ditch/add to make this run efficiently (i.e. hondata s200 w/boost option, msd ignition control, other chips?)...i'm pretty much spent on cash piecing this all together, but ALL advice/ideas are welcome...i'll MAKE something work.

thanks in advance,
    -Los

**edit** i did a MILD search...didn't have time to read all and i just want some solid answers to my particular question, not general answers. i pretty much got from the search, to go with a p28 chipped by uberdata or hondata...lalala...
    Last edited by losimus; 03-28-2006, 03:01 AM.
    VQ35 POWAH!

p28 chipped with uberdata/hondata/crome, you could run neptune or a brand name stand alone unit

What turbo do you have and what do you have done?
    Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

Comment

it's a t3/t4 (.50/.63), NOW all i have done is i/h/e (stock block/head)...straight pipe, bored out TB...i also have to install the other stuff waiting. vafc2, new ngk wires, 450 dsm injectors and will be removing secondaries and porting my spare h22 manifold.
      VQ35 POWAH!

Comment

Crome or Uberdata, homie...

Originally posted by lordoja
        im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

The VAFC isn't really much use. If you're not building the internals, be VERY careful. Boosting a stock block H22 isn't really the safest thing to do! Is this the same motor you had before, or is it another one?

You want the best tuning options possible. Hondata is probably one of the best choices. A chipped P28, uberdata, a wideband o2 sensor, exhaust temp sensor, an emulator, and a good laptop would also be a good setup... as long as you know how to use any equipment you get. Knowing what you're doing is probably the most important thing!

Be sure to have a quality wastegate. The high compression of the H22 won't leave you with much margin for error!

MRX or some of the other knowledgable turbo guys will probably drop some really helpful info. Talk to Accord SiR. He's been down that road... and after he blew that motor up, he built one properly

Comment

okay...so are we saying that my VAFC2 is USELESS? because if it is, then i can sell it and have almost enough for my hondata s200 unit.
            VQ35 POWAH!

Comment

Originally posted by losimus
              okay...so are we saying that my VAFC2 is USELESS? because if it is, then i can sell it and have almost enough for my hondata s200 unit.
              Yea, sell it. I forget how AFC hacks even work...they don't change any fuel tables, they just load different ones to certain MAP sensor readings or something...but yea, go with Crome or Uberdata.

im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Yeah, sell it. Those things are good for people who want to mess around with their settings a little, but they're not the best choice for boost. Especially not with a high-compression expensive motor like the H22! F22 with the hack, perhaps... H22, no.

The Hondata unit is good, but the s200 is the one you have to take to get tuned, right? You might want to look into getting a P28, wideband o2 sensor, and other tools to do your own datalogging and programming. I guess it depends on how much you want to learn and do yourself!

Didn't you have a mildly built NA H22 already? (and if you brought it back to stock to go boost... care to sell anything? )

Comment

im goin with the p28/hondata s300 combo. it should run around $700.

Comment

well...thanks for the info guys...it looks like i'll be selling a VAFC2 now (didn't even get to put it on!) and getting the p28 & hondata s200 w/boost.

and about my built head that i thought i once had...t'was nothing. when i went and got it dynoed...it climbed up to 8.5k rpms with no prob., but when i asked if the shop had previously built the head, the owner said no, because they stamp their built heads (it was from jason @ rage here in so. cal., they were on redline tv the other night...if you saw). i figured it wasn't built anyway...there weren't any aftermarket cam gears on the head when i bought it, but the dood swore it was.

kinda wish i never traded those AEM gears to you know deev! lol...it's all good.
                    VQ35 POWAH!

Comment

how much boost are you planning on running. i assume you have a 5spd and not auto correct. either go p28 or p72. i chose the p72 because of the iab's and the knock sensor but the popular choice is the p28. its cheaper and more abundant. are you letting a tuner tune your car, or did you plan on doing it yourself. go with the software your tuner is more comfy with, if your going to a tuner. crome,uberdata, neptune and hondata all have pros and cons. two of those you buy the other two you don't.
                      91 Ex CB9
                      JDM h22 auto swap, now w/H23 5spd conversion, short ram intake w/K&N filter, DC ceramic header, 2.25" custom catback exhaust, AMR Engineering coilovers, 205/50/16's Enkei RS5's, front slotted rotors, Xenon body kit.

W.I.P.
                      p72 ecu on Hondata

To Come
                      Weight Reductions
                      R33 or R34 front end

Comment

Originally posted by LawdoG247
                        im goin with the p28/hondata s300 combo. it should run around $700.
                        why s300? The s200 is really not any less than the s300. The s200 also has less bugs and its a lil cheaper.

I recommend Uberdata to everyone and anyone, but if you're just not willing to take the time to learn it or you just have the money to throw away, buy a full standalone. I mean, if you're gona spend 700 on hondata, you might as well wait a for another paycheck and buy AEM EMS.

but thats just my o-two.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

I dunno...I don't think Uberdata has gear compensation, and there's some other stuff it's missing as well. Uberdata seems to be better suited towards N/A applications; for an expensive endeavor like a turbo H22 I'd want the insurance of the additional features of Crome Pro. It's only like $150, and from what I understand is worth the money over Uberdata.

Comment

yeah, im in Iraq right now so I have the money to throw into the s300. the reason I want it is because it looks to have a lot more options to "finely" tune this delicate engine, and reduce the risk of detonation. I would love to learn on my own, but risk blowing the damn thing while learning, no friggin way.

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy
                              I dunno...I don't think Uberdata has gear compensation, and there's some other stuff it's missing as well. Uberdata seems to be better suited towards N/A applications; for an expensive endeavor like a turbo H22 I'd want the insurance of the additional features of Crome Pro. It's only like $150, and from what I understand is worth the money over Uberdata.
                              it does have gear compensation. They followed the honda engineers and made it an ignition adjustment rather than fuel adjustment tho. Figured honda knew what they were doing and they weren't about to question years of R&D. Anything i have to say has already been said. My only concern is that you find a shop u trust to tune the car first and converse with them rather than us. We won't be tuning your car but they will. As already stated, find what that shop works with and leave it to them. I won't try to convince u to any program of management...never do
                              Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

Working...
                              X