Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Turbo Installation Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo Installation Help

Hey,

I need help from my fellow CB7 Tuners. I plan on gettin a turbo. I went to this one "speed shop" and they said that they were gonna hook me up wit a turbo. When I asked, "What kinda turbo is it?" they told me its a "Holy Moly kit"....When I heard that...I was fuckin, trying so hard not to laugh lol...I know that shit is from eGay b/c I heard of it b4.

1) That kit is a POS correct?
    2) They want $1500 for Labor (which includes ECU tunning)

My main Q: is - Is it that F'ing hard to install a turbo?! $1500! Do you know what I can do with $1500??!! and my other Question is, why is the Holy Moly kit bad? (besides the fact that its named Holy Moly). I know people say that the manifold usually cracks, but cant you just swap it out for a name brand one?

Thanks for the input,
    -Lam

idk.. that sounds really really expensive.

Topspeed, this shop in chicago, they only charge 500 for labor for a 5spd and h22 swap. and they finish it in 3 days.... so based off of that. no way.

but then again its comparing apples to oranges.
    my 91 cb7
    Originally posted by 4doorfury
    I swear, if I hit a raccoon I'll just keep pushing him, there's no way he's going to fit underneath the car

Comment

$1500 for installation is a rip off. Tuning is the hardest. Could you please elaborate what's included in this "holy moly" kit
      Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

Comment

Originally posted by 92ex
        $1500 for installation is a rip off. Tuning is the hardest. Could you please elaborate what's included in this "holy moly" kit
        You asked for it...Try not to laugh:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H22-P...05670534QQrdZ1

-Lam

Comment

HOLY MOLY!!!!!!! 1500.00 for install..... HOLY MOLY!!!!! the irony of the 2 together!!!!

in my man Dave Chappelle

HOLY MOLY..... woooorrrdd???
          WAGONS

94 ce1- f22b DOHC auto swap, ROH 11.1" 99 cl brakes, rear disk swap, dual plenums, aem cai, tein ss, OEM stanley one piecers, OEM stanley yellow fogs, OEM 96 Oddy roof rack, Yakima basketcase, some wheels, some tires.... etc.

Comment

Originally posted by da9b16
            HOLY MOLY!!!!!!! 1500.00 for install..... HOLY MOLY!!!!! the irony of the 2 together!!!!

in my man Dave Chappelle

HOLY MOLY..... woooorrrdd???
            ROFL...

Holy Moly is right...(Dave chappelle rules) Anyone in the PA Area wanna install (That knows how to install!!!) a turbo? I will pay you...

-Lam

Comment

lol thats a stupid as name they gave that name. 1500 is alot, I see it says your in philadelphia why not contact some of the other boosted cb7s on here and see if they can help you with installing your own kit. You may have to get it tuned by a shop anyway though if you don't knwo how to tune or can get ahold of someone to personally tune it for you. have you read this? It helps with alot of the basics http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=17090
              Previous cb7members ride thread
              86 Nissan d21 in the workshttp://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=155292

TSM Garage: Honda/Acura, VW/Audi, and Subaru performance and maintenance work.

Comment

do it yourself..theres countless diy's on here and hondatech..its not that hard at all...

the debate with ss autochrome is just he said she said bullshit..everyone bashes them but most of them never even had it..it is cheap tho but its a risk..thhey are cheap for a reason tho...not stronger than quality manifolds and turbos...just piece together a custom kit itll be cheaper and better quality...1500 wtf...shops charge cheaper for swaps

Comment

Originally posted by HaulAss247
                  lol thats a stupid as name they gave that name. 1500 is alot, I see it says your in philadelphia why not contact some of the other boosted cb7s on here and see if they can help you with installing your own kit. You may have to get it tuned by a shop anyway though if you don't knwo how to tune or can get ahold of someone to personally tune it for you
                  Hopefully I can get a few Philly people to look at this Thread and lend a helping hand. Tuning the ECU is a def. but as far as paying $1500...

I knew it was too much,
                  -Lam

Comment

I honestly wouldn't trust that kit. 750 for a turbo, manifold, wastegate, bov plus other stuff? Very poor quality products would be my assumption. Best of luck to ya.

P.S.- Turbo installations are not hard at all
                    Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

Comment

is that price with them getting the part also is it 1500+parts Cuz i mean you can spend 1500 on parts alone i some how wound up doing that But i mean if they installed everything, fit yor i/c piping, actually dyno tuned it if they have a dyo that wouldn't be too bad, since going turbo is in no way cheap and easy. But hell atleast if a shop did the work you would have a warrantyl if somethin messed up.

Comment

DhN has a point...

I'll admit, SSAutoChrome has been bashed on and everyone is telling me not to get it. I guess you get what you pay for. I only wanted something cheap b/c I only planned on running 8psi max.

I have a headache...I think Imma take this money and get a new paint job lol.

-Lam - Thanks for the input guys

Comment

Originally posted by TeamST_racing
                          DhN has a point...

I'll admit, SSAutoChrome has been bashed on and everyone is telling me not to get it. I guess you get what you pay for. I only wanted something cheap b/c I only planned on running 8psi max.

I have a headache...I think Imma take this money and get a new paint job lol.

-Lam - Thanks for the input guys
                          or take that money and buy a second car to get around in cuz it just becomes a never ending project after all this

Comment

Originally posted by HaulAss247
                            or take that money and buy a second car to get around in cuz it just becomes a never ending project after all this
                            I hear ya man,

Everytime I say "alright, this is the last thing im gonna buy for my car"....
                            I end up buying more and more stuff. It seriously is never ending.

And even if I have no $ in my pockets, I still feel the urge to buy stuff for my car.

-Lam

Comment

Originally posted by TeamST_racing
                              I hear ya man,

Everytime I say "alright, this is the last thing im gonna buy for my car"....
                              I end up buying more and more stuff. It seriously is never ending.

And even if I have no $ in my pockets, I still feel the urge to buy stuff for my car.

-Lam
                              that is an ABSOLUTELY CORRECT statement.... I told my ex 7 years ago that I would not be working on building a car for too long.... 7 years later and more than 20 cars OWNED and completed.... I still have not stopped... I think you will find that installing a turbo is no harder than installing a clutch and transmission or doing a motor swap... you need lots of patience and some GOOD friends with a fair amount of knowledge in the areas you do and HOPEFULLY some areas you don't and don't forget you always have your friend the internet to assist you along the way....
                              WAGONS

94 ce1- f22b DOHC auto swap, ROH 11.1" 99 cl brakes, rear disk swap, dual plenums, aem cai, tein ss, OEM stanley one piecers, OEM stanley yellow fogs, OEM 96 Oddy roof rack, Yakima basketcase, some wheels, some tires.... etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X