Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Delta regrind owners chime in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Delta regrind owners chime in

I am looking to mildly build my F22a6 and would like to hear from the owners who have a delta regrind.

I have a donor F22a6 core cam for a regrind.
    What I am soliciting from you is:

What delta cam regrind are you running?

How long(miles) have you been running your cam?

What is the driveability of your cam?

Any tuning associated with your install?

What issues, if any, do you have?

Stock valve train?

Any noticable MPG gains or losses?

Any mechanical issues since installing your cam?

If you have any other pertinent info to add, feel free!

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by koffin; 08-16-2006, 10:41 AM.
    WTB - IACV for H22a4.

FS: 1993 CB9 w/H22a4 and much, much more.

PM or email with inquiries.
    Vouch Thread

We spoke before, but I have a Delta 272 in the mail, along with the H23 manifold (which I disassembled yesterday, child's play!!!), a BOMZ CAI and a straight exhaust.

My avg. gas mileage has gone up by about 2-3mpg since I got the exhaust, and could go even higher as I know I'm running rich. I was averaging about 18-19MPG and my last 1/2 tank was 21.5MPG, with a mix of city cruising and flogging.

In my estimations the H23 plenum will aid gas mileage significantly, but running the engine untuned on the Delta cam will bring it back down again. Even with a tune it will be bad. Personally, if you want the best mileage your best bet would be to go with a...*gasp*...A1 cam

Originally posted by lordoja
    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Thanks glory. I forgot about tuning. I'll add it to the initial post.

I currently get ~28MPG, trending 30 though.

I too will have an H23 plenum and H22 throttle body. I am leaning towards the 260 regrind at the moment. I'll have to score an ECU and hopefully have MRX tune it before he "retires".

I think If I don't flog it, I can still maintain high MPG #'s with this setup.

Thanks for the input. Keep me posted once you get everything installed. I can't wait to see the real numbers!
      WTB - IACV for H22a4.

FS: 1993 CB9 w/H22a4 and much, much more.

PM or email with inquiries.
      Vouch Thread

Comment

I think most will tell you to go with the 272 assuming you're manual. And I haven't heard any horror stories and it's meant to be used with stock valvetrain as long as yours is in good shape. And you better have at least I/H/E to support the better breathing engine now.
        A little off topic...
        Glory it looks like I'm in a race with you with all the parts we're both installing or are gonna install. I'm installing a new flexpipe and an SMSP cat this weeekend and hopefully buying this guys H23 tranny. My goal of 14.9 possibly with drag radials better be reached in the next few months before winter hits. I hope we can motivate each other.
        Metal Metal and more Metal!!!

How much does your wheel/tire combo weigh? Post here!
        -=Suicide Crew Member #1 (only member so far)=-
        MY RIDE

"I was hoping the Wolverine would finger one of those Japanese girls and then extend a claw into her b hole just for fun, BUT that never happened and I was extremely unsatisfied with the movie because of it." -Macaqueistrong

Comment

Originally posted by uslspct
          I think most will tell you to go with the 272 assuming you're manual. And I haven't heard any horror stories and it's meant to be used with stock valvetrain as long as yours is in good shape. And you better have at least I/H/E to support the better breathing engine now.
          A little off topic...
          Glory it looks like I'm in a race with you with all the parts we're both installing or are gonna install. I'm installing a new flexpipe and an SMSP cat this weeekend and hopefully buying this guys H23 tranny. My goal of 14.9 possibly with drag radials better be reached in the next few months before winter hits. I hope we can motivate each other.
          Ah I thought you swapped already. I'll holler at you in a PM...

im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by koffin
            I am looking to mildly build my F22a6 and would like to hear from the owners who have a delta regrind.

Stock valve train?

Thanks in advance.
            1) 272 Delta cam
            2) about 11,XXX miles on cam so far
            3) Car starts up everytime and gets me to where I'm going, it's my daily driver. I'm only having idling issues, have to blip throttle at a stop to keep it idling. I have other mods, everything but blockwork...that includes ported head/valve job, bored TB, etc. Read my red Accord project thread link in my signature for more.
            4) Yes, tuning was involved. I have a chipped P06 ECU, but am going to something else soon.
            5) My issues regarding this cam are idling issues. I want a consistent idle that will not stall out on me when I'm stopped.
            6) Yes, stock valvetrain which I had the spring compression checked, they all are good shape
            7) after all my mods... short ram intake, bored TB, ported H23 intake manifold, F22 headwork, delta 272, header, exhaust...I still get 28 MPG average when I get on it alot (mostly HWY too). When I am off the throttle more (still HWY), I got anywhere from 31-33 MPG that's semi-street/E-tuned.
            8) no mechanical issues, just know what you're doing or get a manual if not. Set valvelash to like .006" int/.008" exh
            9) I get dyno tuned Aug 19th, await dyno results on my red accord project thread in my signature. keep posted

Note: If you get a cam regrind, get an adjustable fuel psi regulator, fuel gauge(mine is in engine bay) and adjustable cam gear for tuning purposes.
            HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

I've been rockin the 272 for the last 20k miles. best mod ever, great gains. Took me a year and a half to make it idle like stock. F22A6 dual runners helped the idle, then a DC header helped it idle a little better, and finally got it to idle like a kitten after tuning with a P06. definetly driveable with a PT6 tho. im personally running the cam advanced +3 degrees and static timing is set up to 18 or 19 degrees. Before any mods I saw 450 miles per tank. now its like 380 miles per tank. Probably because I have lost torque below 2000 RPM so I almost never let the revs drop below 2000. Its faster than H22 preludes and LS integras at least.

Because of the overlap it idles very rich with a stock ECU.

hold on to your butts

Comment

Yeah so Hondafan says he found the best gains without advancing or retarding the cam gear.
                And you advanced it 3? Any reason why you think that's the best setting?
                Metal Metal and more Metal!!!

How much does your wheel/tire combo weigh? Post here!
                -=Suicide Crew Member #1 (only member so far)=-
                MY RIDE

"I was hoping the Wolverine would finger one of those Japanese girls and then extend a claw into her b hole just for fun, BUT that never happened and I was extremely unsatisfied with the movie because of it." -Macaqueistrong

Comment

can someone explain how they regrind it? Do they add metal to it then regrind a different valve lift pattern?

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
                  "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
                  "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

Originally posted by starchland
                    can someone explain how they regrind it? Do they add metal to it then regrind a different valve lift pattern?
                    they grind it down way low. some of the lobes on mine are actually lower than the core shaft.... looks funny but it works GREAT. they round off all the edges and it gives long overlap.

i have a different beast than cisco. smaller diameter intake path and smaller diameter exhaust. tryin to keep it peppy plus my rev limit is set at 6k. it moves the torque peak lower when you advance a single cam. Mine also idles.

hold on to your butts

Comment

Originally posted by koffin

Stock valve train?

Thanks in advance.
                      1) 272 Delta cam
                      2) about 11,XXX miles on cam so far
                      3) Car starts up everytime and gets me to where I'm going, it's my daily driver. I'm only having idling issues, have to blip throttle at a stop to keep it idling. I have other mods, everything but blockwork...that includes ported head/valve job, bored TB, etc. Read my red Accord project thread link in my signature for more.
                      4) Yes, tuning was involved. I have a chipped P06 ECU, but am going to something else soon.
                      5) My issues regarding this cam are idling issues. I want a consistent idle that will not stall out on me when I'm stopped. My setup did not run off a stock Accord PT3 ECU, I needed the MRX chipped P06 ECU to run it.
                      6) Yes, stock valvetrain which I had the spring compression checked, they all are good shape
                      7) after all my mods... short ram intake, bored TB, ported H23 intake manifold, F22 headwork, delta 272, header, exhaust...I still get 28 MPG average when I get on it alot (mostly HWY too). When I am off the throttle more (still HWY), I got anywhere from 31-33 MPG that's semi-street/E-tuned.
                      8) no mechanical issues, just know what you're doing or get a manual if not. Set valvelash to like .006" int/.008" exh
                      9) I get dyno tuned Aug 19th, await dyno results on my red accord project thread in my signature. keep posted

Notes:

- If you get a cam regrind, get an adjustable fuel psi regulator, fuel gauge(mine is in engine bay) and adjustable cam gear for tuning purposes.
                      - Click red Accord project link in my signature for details on my setup
                      - I dyno'd 152 WHP @ 6600rppm, 127 WTQ @5100rpm
                      - Best cam setting was 0 degrees. I tried retarding and advancing by 2 degrees each way and it did not help.
                      - My idle is set to 1200 rpm @ 18 deg BTDC, starting valve blocked off, FITV & IACV fully functional. Engine finally idles consistently and doesn't stall out at a stop.
                      - My powerband is from 4000 to 7000 rpm
                      - 2nd gear 40mph @ 4000 rpm I can rev up to 7000 rpm, shift into 3rd about 80mph pulling to 7000 rpm again, shift into 4th about 110-ish and I've pulled it up to 125mph so far. It pulls very nice in 2nd and 3rd from a rolling 40mph, 4th gear from 110mph and up it pulls still but not as fast obviously.
                      - I'm tuned on a Hondata S200 system now.
                      Last edited by HondaFan81; 08-25-2006, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Anyone have pics of a 272 regrind? I think I may have been unintentionally ripped off, my cam looks worn but not reground...

Comment

thats my cam with a cam phone... sorry about the quality.. they engraved the end of the cam after a they regrind. does yours have that?

hold on to your butts

Comment

I'll check when I get home....

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy
                              I'll check when I get home....
                              Yes, on one end of the camshaft it should have "272" on it engraved.

Comment

Working...
                              X