Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Soon to Tune suggestions..any help with do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i would honestly start with a 1.5* timing retard per degree of boost. 0 vaccum should have a peak timing near 32* at 8 lbs, you will likely end up in the 18-21* of table timing although ive never really trusted the numbers crome gives you.

start with 16* and work your way up. Pay attention to the spark plugs if you understand how to read one and how to accurately get the information you are looking for. If they look good, and the timing heat color is in the the middle or above of the strap; add 2 degrees make a pull and check the plugs again. If you picked up a lot of power and the plugs look good with no signs of DET, add another 2 degrees. You will eventually find the timing degree where MBT is reached and you can slowly work your way up the RPM timing curve.

Pulling plugs is a longer process but you will learn a lot more and you will get a better feeling of what you are doing.
    Last edited by 98vtec; 05-13-2010, 12:24 AM.
    www.850fab.com
    IG - @850Fab
    FB - @850Fabrication

Comment

Note that the car must be killed rather quickly after doing the "Pull"...

good info sir..

now get your ass back to RHMT...

Praise The Lowered...

Comment

Originally posted by 98vtec View Post
        i would honestly start with a 1.5* timing retard per degree of boost. 0 vaccum should have a peak timing near 32* at 8 lbs, you will likely end up in the 18-21* of table timing although ive never really trusted the numbers crome gives you.

start with 16* and work your way up. Pay attention to the spark plugs if you understand how to read one and how to accurately get the information you are looking for. If they look good, and the timing heat color is in the the middle or above of the strap; add 2 degrees make a pull and check the plugs again. If you picked up a lot of power and the plugs look good with no signs of DET, add another 2 degrees. You will eventually find the timing degree where MBT is reached and you can slowly work your way up the RPM timing curve.

Pulling plugs is a longer process but you will learn a lot more and you will get a better feeling of what you are doing.
        one thing I have wondered about. If your timing at lets say 5000 rpms is right on the money but at 7000 rpms it is a few degrees from MBT, would the correct timing at 5k rpms not color the ground strap? what I'm saying is that because you are pulling the plug at 7k does not mean that the timing indicator is necessarily correct for that rpm. is this correct?

If so then looking at the ground strap should only tell you when some part of the timing is correct for MBT. The rest would need a dyno.

does this make sense?
        spin city

Comment

Originally posted by dbsharp View Post
          one thing I have wondered about. If your timing at lets say 5000 rpms is right on the money but at 7000 rpms it is a few degrees from MBT, would the correct timing at 5k rpms not color the ground strap? what I'm saying is that because you are pulling the plug at 7k does not mean that the timing indicator is necessarily correct for that rpm. is this correct?

If so then looking at the ground strap should only tell you when some part of the timing is correct for MBT. The rest would need a dyno.

does this make sense?
          YEAH....timing=dyno machine...then yes I understand...lol
          Last edited by Gtseviper; 05-19-2010, 06:38 PM.
          New paint job and bumper 8/8/11
          tsx retrofit
          f22b dohc boosted
          custom gauges pods

Motivation is one of the keys to life....tell me "can't" and I wll show you I can

Comment

Originally posted by dbsharp View Post

does this make sense?

you can semi get an idea of whats going on with the rest of the curve, but its usually good practice to only believe what the plug is telling you at the RPM you shut the engine down at. If there is detonation anywhere in the RPM range, it should stick to the porcelain throughout the pull. so you can at least see that the engine wants less timing or more fuel somewhere in the curve. Pull timing across the board and watch what the torque does. The area that drops power the least amount is likely where the fault was.

Just use your head and pay attention to little details.
            www.850fab.com
            IG - @850Fab
            FB - @850Fabrication

Comment

NGK's plugs are the stuff....I started tuning afr's with bocsh platinums and I find that the afr numbers where way to much out of range in each of the cells and not stable...I switched the plugs to NGK's and bang..the afr number started to stablized on freelog map close to the range I was looking for...
              tsx retrofit
              f22b dohc boosted
              custom gauges pods

Motivation is one of the keys to life....tell me "can't" and I wll show you I can

Comment

that shouldn't be happening. Thats really weird. +1 on ngks being awesome.
                spin city

Comment

yeah weird...well from the last time we talked D...I did some more reading and I decided to change my oil to a tinner one 10w-30 to see what happens... I did what you told me to do but there is oil still on top of the pistons...look at it this way...if push comes to shove...I know exactly what to do this time...I have brand new rings and a block I can freshen up with a hone from the machine shop...It still doesn't smoke with the lower weight oil...
                  tsx retrofit
                  f22b dohc boosted
                  custom gauges pods

Comment

I don't get how there is wet oil on top of the pistons and your not smoking. Are you absolutely sure that there is wet oil on top of them.

Off topic I got errols motor broke in a bit and tuned moderately well tonight. Going to tune ignition timing tomorrow, I think that this motor is going to make a lot of power on 10 psi once I get the ignition timing right! Gotta fix a oil leak on it first. It shouldn't be leaking oil but well see what the problem is tomorrow.
                    spin city

Comment

yeah I can smell the burnt/dry/black oil on the lower part of the plugs..if I look at the back of my intake manifold I can see beginning part of the runner has oil...well I'm seeing how it does with a few more high to low load runs..I don't think i brought that block it right..if all else false...wiseco sent me soem free rings...and I ahve a spare block sitting there
                      Last edited by Gtseviper; 05-23-2010, 12:46 AM.
                      tsx retrofit
                      f22b dohc boosted
                      custom gauges pods

Comment

is there any oil in your intake piping?
                        spin city

Comment

no there isn't any
                          tsx retrofit
                          f22b dohc boosted
                          custom gauges pods

Comment

I'm going to put some more miles on the engine with variating speeds and see what happens about 500 miles or so..I have about 200miles on it already
                            tsx retrofit
                            f22b dohc boosted
                            custom gauges pods

Comment

updates??? been folowing this as im gonna be a noob tuner soon lol

Ride List
                              1990 Accord dx coupe - my baby (dsm turbo set up in progress) http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3202853
                              2005 Mazda 6s - daily driver http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3171724(totaled)
                              newest 2006 mazdaspeed 6 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/4073987/2006-mazda-mazda6

Comment

Working...
                              X