Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

dyno tuning costs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dyno tuning costs?

I'm budgeting for a turbo build (my first build) and I can't seem to find a price range to expect for a good dyno tune. Just curious if anyone happens to know how much they tend to run, or how much they paid. I'd call a shop, but I've yet to find a local place that tunes hondas.

Thanks!
    90 LX, 270,XXX miles strong!

It really differs man there's a dude down here that will tune our hondas out of his house with a lap top specificly made for it for 40$. But I just contacted a well known tuner shop down here the same day and they told me 750$ but the shop does dyno runs afer each tweak. So its what u want and what u can afford for ur certin app.

Comment

i charge 400 for Dyno tuning boosted cars. And that includes the Neptune license and 3 hours on the dyno.
      www.850fab.com
      IG - @850Fab
      FB - @850Fabrication

Comment

Why is it so much?

Comment

because it is a complicated task.
          you really need toknow what your doing to tune.

and if you don't then you pay to play.
          MadLab Racing
          Southern Maryland

Comment

If I slapped on a dsm kit at no more than 8lbs, how necessary is a tune?

Comment

very necessary if you want your engine to last.

this is not considered a bolt on install, even tho it is a bolt on install.

if you don't have the money for a proper tune. don't boost!
              MadLab Racing
              Southern Maryland

Comment

I figured that it was going to vary in prices. But as far as I'm concerned my whole build will depend on a good tune to be reliable and to last.

I'm still trying to locate a tuner here in Hampton Roads. I've been trying to go by word of mouth, cause if someone is doing bad tunes then people wont recommend them.

One last thing, I'm playing around with crome on my comp just so I can get a feel for what the tuner will be doing and I'm curious as to the duty cycle of my injectors and if I should be upping the CC's for a 10psi max build. in crome it shows I'm exceeding 80% duty cycle on stock injectors under boost and i have a feeling that it would be bad for them after awhile. What is the ideal continous load duty cycle that an injector should have?
                Last edited by drummerwill; 06-10-2011, 02:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cb7_with_snail View Post
                  If I slapped on a dsm kit at no more than 8lbs, how necessary is a tune?
                  no tune = BOOM! Guaranteed.

Originally posted by drummerwill View Post
                  One last thing, I'm playing around with crome on my comp just so I can get a feel for what the tuner will be doing and I'm curious as to the duty cycle of my injectors and if I should be upping the CC's for a 10psi max build. in crome it shows I'm exceeding 80% duty cycle on stock injectors under boost and i have a feeling that it would be bad for them after awhile. What is the ideal continous load duty cycle that an injector should have?
                  You got it right, 80% or under is considered safe. 90% if you want to push your luck.

Can't use stock injectors with ANY kind of boost setup yo. Stock injectors can't do more than 30-40hp increase and you are more than likely adding at least double that with a basic boost setup.

Comment

alright, I figured I'd ask now instead of finding out later. haha... Unfortunately finding those DSM450's around here is hard. But the non turbo 2.0 injectors are readily avaliable. I remember seeing somewhere on here about those being 390cc?? so i may just go with them.

Comment

the price is justified this way because:

A) tuning equipment is expensive
                      -- dealer setup fees
                      -- laptop
                      -- wideband
                      -- ecu and tuning hardware
                      -- time and experience
                      -- personal gas wasted over the years
                      -- dyno time typically is not cheap
                      -- if you are proud of your work, you better make the time you are there worth it

whenever i get questions like that and the customer has basically a stock setup, i'll make a basemap for them and let them see if they can figure it out. Most times it really gives them a perspective of what it takes to do it well.
                      www.850fab.com
                      IG - @850Fab
                      FB - @850Fabrication

Comment

I was hoping that I could get a pretty good tune for about $400, give or take. I wish I had $700 to spend on a tune, but I'm not trying to be the fastest at the track, i just want to keep the motor from going kaboom while im driving to work and around town, etc. lol

and im not one of these "OMG I want a turbo, but i dont want to spend the money to do it right" type people. I know that quality work costs, but it's worth it.

Also I'm planning on going to a tuner with a working basemap on my ecu. That moates.net honda tuning kit for $300 looks like a solid deal.
                        Last edited by drummerwill; 06-10-2011, 04:30 PM.

Comment

I was hoping that I could get a pretty good tune for about $400, give or take. I wish I had $700 to spend on a tune, but I'm not trying to be the fastest at the track, i just want to keep the motor from going kaboom while im driving to work and around town, etc. lol

and im not one of these "OMG I want a turbo, but i dont want to spend the money to do it right" type people. I know that quality work costs, but it's worth it.

Also I'm planning on going to a tuner with a working basemap on my ecu. That moates.net honda tuning kit for $300 looks like a solid deal.
                          IIRC, the honda tuning kit does not include software.

make you the program you use is a program the tuner is comfortable with.

for instance, i do not like using hondata for reasons other than just not liking hondata as a business. I prefer neptune because i know it like the back of my hand.
                          www.850fab.com
                          IG - @850Fab
                          FB - @850Fabrication

Comment

Originally posted by 98vtec View Post
                            make you the program you use is a program the tuner is comfortable with.

for instance, i do not like using hondata for reasons other than just not liking hondata as a business. I prefer neptune because i know it like the back of my hand.

It doesnt come with any, but I've got crome on my comp. I've been playing with that to get an idea of whats going on. Also I'll prob make a basemap on it to get to the tuner.

As far as softwares go I'll let the tuner decide what he/she wants to use once i get the car to them.

Comment

It doesnt come with any, but I've got crome on my comp. I've been playing with that to get an idea of whats going on. Also I'll prob make a basemap on it to get to the tuner.

As far as softwares go I'll let the tuner decide what he/she wants to use once i get the car to them.
                              well, just saying.....if you wanted to step up to a better management, neptune RTP is only like 50 bucks more than crome and you only need one USB cable. Not to mention, no headaches. Tuning is much more enjoyable when the software cooperates.
                              www.850fab.com
                              IG - @850Fab
                              FB - @850Fabrication

Comment

Working...
                              X