Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

ECU Chipping and Tuning FAQ** READ BEFORE POSTING**

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ECU Chipping and Tuning FAQ** READ BEFORE POSTING**

Q. Why should I/do I need to chip my ecu?

A. Stock ECU's can only do so much after mods have been added. When you chip an ecu, there is software you can use to customize fuel and ignition maps to your engines liking and make the most power out of it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q. What do I need to chip my ECU?

A.
    1. A chippable ECU(I'll give a list of chippable ecu's later)
    2. Ability to burn (e)eproms. You need an EPROM programmer or a friend with one. If you'd like your very own I recommend the Moates Burn1/Burn2 ( http://moates.net/ ) or a willem chip burner(you can get those on ebay) and some (e)eproms.
    3. Quality soldering tools. I personally use RadioShacks 15w soldering iron and their 45w desoldering iron.
    4. A chipping kit. You can purchase them from www.moates.net.

Q. How do I chip an ECU?

A. It is a lot simpler than it sounds or looks. All you need are a good soldering iron(even those cheap craftsman solder guns work), solder wick or desoldering station.

The parts you need are as listed and can be purchase from www.digikey.com:
    Qty 2: 0.1uF Capacitors
    Qty 1: 1k ohm Resistor
    Qty 1: 28pin DIP socket
    Qty 1: 74HC373 (make sure you get a 20pin DIP version, not SIP)

Here's an illustration of where all those parts go

Here's a great video on how to chip an ECU
    http://www.phearable.net/videos/socketing.wmv

Q. Ok, sounds cool. So...which ECU's are chippable?

A. First off, Accord/Prelude ECU's are chippable, but you can only edit timing. You can also remove a few things you dont want. So, it's pointless to chip them b/c teg/civic ecu's are fully programmable.

But, the following ECU's will work for ANY OBD1 application with the proper tuning.

1. P05 - non-VTEC, 1-wire O2 sensor, no IAB. This ECU is found on 1992-1995 Honda Civic CX models.
    2. P06 - non-VTEC, 4-wire O2 sensor, no IAB. This ECU is found on 1992-1995 Honda Civic DX/LX models.
    3. P28 - VTEC, 4-wire O2 sensor, no IAB. This ECU is found on 1992-1995 Honda Civic Si/EX models.
    4. P30 - VTEC, 4-wire O2 sensor, no IAB, knock sensor equipped. This ECU is found on B16A Del sol's (pretty rare ECU).
    5. P72 - VTEC, 4 wire O2 sensor, IAB, knock sensor equipped. This ECU is found on B18C Integra GSR models.
    6. P75 - non-VTEC, 4-wire O2 sensor, no IAB. This ECU is found on B18B Integra RS/LS/GS models.

You can chip any ECU to be the equivalent of any other ECU. For example:
    I have a p06 and one of my customers needs a p28 or an equivalent. I can convert it to vtec. I can also add IAB's and a knock sensor.

Q. YAY! I can chip an ECU now, but what ROM tuning software can I use?
    A. I'll give the two most popular freeware that people use: Crome and Uberdata.

Crome Pros:
    - FREE!!
    - VERY user friendly (I think thats why so many people 'like' it)
    - First editor to feature scripting (allowing the end-user to enhance the editors functionality)
    - Generally stable releases only... usually no 'surprises'

Crome Cons:
    - Seems to be irregularly updated these days.
    - While it was the first to incorporate scripting, its limited and can't assemble ROM's at this time
    - Support is pretty much limited to the pgmfi.org community/forum

Other software:
    -Crome Pro(MUCH more features than regular Crome. costs $150)
    -eCtune - $175 for 1 license +ostrich
    -Hondata - S300 is the best unit out and most tuners won't touch any other versions. $599+
    -AEM EMS - Not the best for Honda, but definitely still better than most. $1000+
    -Haltech - On par, if not better than AEM. $1200+
    -Neptune - On par with Crome/Hondata/eCtune.
    -Mega Squirt - for the COMPLETE DIY'er. Costs vary on how much you do yourself
    Last edited by d112crzy; 06-17-2009, 06:27 PM.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

thanks for posting this up man, now i can understand how to do it myself
    Members Ride

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy
      P72 - (96-00 OBD-2 Integra GSR)

Actually these come in OBD1 as well and can be chipped and can run crome. I just bought one!
      WTB - IACV for H22a4.

FS: 1993 CB9 w/H22a4 and much, much more.

PM or email with inquiries.
      Vouch Thread

Comment

Originally posted by koffin
        Actually these come in OBD1 as well and can be chipped and can run crome. I just bought one!
        correct, 94-95 obd1 gsr
        Retired 1990 Accord LX Coupe
        Project 240SX
        Originally posted by chillin943
        anyone kno if i can just make a hot wire for v-tec off the horn??
        Vouches: Bought from: smseagren83, phatdoughnut, uk - accord, lucid, iamnemo, accord_inspire, 2point6, chopstickz, djcaz_aom, rosko

Comment

bump because I just spent a few hours rewriting this.

if it looks familiar, its because I followed the format that Andrew has on ad.com

Comment

Gdamn... i have been out of it for awhile... lol... so jose i love u! lol... so did u hear i wrote my own program.. DICK!!!! ROFL copter...

GET A TUNING QUOTE FROM ME AZ PEOPLE

"TÜNE.FREE Engine Management!"

...::SHAWNEE::...

Comment

OBD1 PR4 can be added to the list.

ill try and add some things and convert this to the wiki when i have some free time. thanks for doing this! its been needed for a while

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

no problem. I was fed up with all the ecu questions and people saying "chrome".

Comment

JOSER this is my new name... no More LXaccord92!!! and did you like the other thread... miss u buddy... ROLF copter!

GET A TUNING QUOTE FROM ME AZ PEOPLE

"TÜNE.FREE Engine Management!"

...::SHAWNEE::...

Comment

which one is the best for the h22 if u doing lot of mod...

Comment

ergh i got obd2 is that chippable?
                      ]

Comment

you need to convert it by getting an obd2->obd1 harness, then get an obd1 ecu.

Comment

Originally posted by Gee92
                          which one is the best for the h22 if u doing lot of mod...
                          best to mod? theres not BEST one. Some just already have some features that others dont, but you can make a p06 a p28/p72 with some extra work.

it depends on the tune if your car will run good or not.

Comment

i dunno if it is obd2 or not the map sensor is by vacuum not by a plug so that would mean...? and when i bought the car it said it had a p13 with a jun chip...
                            ]

Comment

is the map sensor inside the black box or on your throttle body?

just check the ecu, unplug it, and take a picture of where the plugs go.

Comment

Working...
                              X