Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

h22 turbo setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

y street tune the car and then go to dyno...y not dyno in the first place?
    My signature works perfectly fine.

Comment

Originally posted by psycobone
      y street tune the car and then go to dyno...y not dyno in the first place?
      If the nearest reliable dyno tuner is 100 miles away, would you drive that distance on a basemap?

A basemap should never be driven on, aside from a short limp to a proper tuning location.

A street tune can get a car running well enough, and in the hands of a good tuner, it can be tuned well enough to not blow up. A street tuner cannot extract the maximum amount of usable power, however. A decent turbo setup that has been street-tuned may be 30hp shy of the setup's potential. That can only be realized on a dyno.

A dyno, as said above, will allow a car to be tuned for reliability AND power.

mozzandherb is 100% right in saying that just because someone has a dyno doesn't mean that they're a good tuner. A dyno is simply a tool. The person that adjusts the ECU settings (as well as any physical things on the vehicle itself... cam timing, etc...) is the most important part.

A good street tune done by someone with extensive knowledge and experience (like MRX here on the board) would be better than a crappy dyno tune (like blazen_accord's unfortunate experience)

Comment

You could but 17psi seems really high for a stock block if thats the case. I think the max I have seen on an h22a was 13 or 14psi with stock bottom end lol. Reliability wasnt really that great since if you rag the piss out of it all the time engine would breakdown. If you baby it and WOT it when your racing you can prolong the life of the motor but its still gonna die. There are great tuners out there that might be able to tune them up to 17psi but that doesnt mean its gonna last.

The New-ish Ride
        My old Ride
        Hear my Vtak!!!
        MK3 Member #3
        I piss off people for fun.
        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

ye but if the tuner has that much experience and knowledge and tunes really good on street then he could tune even better on dyno.

and street tune is not 100% accurate as for the dyno it is(almost).

Comment

A lot of tuners tune on the street because, unless you have a adjustable load dyno, you cannot tune partial throttle very well, only WOT. Ever heard the horror stories of someone who got their car dyno tuned, then went and drove it on the street and had all kinds of issues with jerking and sputtering, not running well, etc?
            Originally posted by sweet91accord
            if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

A street tune is difficult for partial throttle as well.

Comment

k i am kinda a confuse now..so what would be the best tunning way...street or dyno...or both street then dyno? keepin in my mind that the tuner is experience and a good tuner.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
                  A street tune is difficult for partial throttle as well.
                  No its not.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by psycobone
                    k i am kinda a confuse now..so what would be the best tunning way...street or dyno...or both street then dyno? keepin in my mind that the tuner is experience and a good tuner.

experience tuner that known honda engine with a dyno is best result but also most expensive. If you have a good tuner close by that is less then 30 miles and you can control yourself and drive like a granny after you have your turbo kit install. That mean no faster then 50 mph and stay out of boost at all cost and take it easy when accelating from a stop. If you tuner shop is much farther say over 1 hour or 100 miles away you need some street tune map 1st so you damage or worst don't blow up your engine driving there.

street tune as in a chiped ECU that use a dataloging device and then adjustment to the chip is made and then burn new chip. dyno tune is with some type of Engine management unit on a dyno and make adjustment on the fly. It is safer to tune WOT on a dyno then on a street getting a ticket or accident.
                    90 Accord Coupe LX, Stock JDM H22A Engine 10.6:1 - Stock Automatic LSD MPA1 Trans, JDM P13 Auto ECU + JDM P19 TCU. Tune with Greddy E-Manage Ultimate
                    < 317WHP/227WTQ@11psi> B/W S256 turbo, Daily Driving on 93 pump gas - since 2006. Driving Turbocharged CB7 Accord since 2002.

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
                      You could but 17psi seems really high for a stock block if thats the case. I think the max I have seen on an h22a was 13 or 14psi with stock bottom end lol. Reliability wasnt really that great since if you rag the piss out of it all the time engine would breakdown. If you baby it and WOT it when your racing you can prolong the life of the motor but its still gonna die. There are great tuners out there that might be able to tune them up to 17psi but that doesnt mean its gonna last.
                      yes 17 psi is unreliable on an 10:6:1 compression stock engine no matter how well your tuner can tune It not going to last (as in 2-3 month at most). I'm runing 13-14psi on high boost setting, and that really pushing it my tunner say. I have to back off 3rd gear pull close to 7.2krpm or else I go over boost. normally I drive on low boost at 8psi and it been over 1 year now on my stock h22a. the ringland on the H22A is the weakest link. High compression turbo engine has very little room for error. unless you are going for highest HP bragging right then do a complete rebuilt up of the motor- reliable power and driven everyday engine get more respect then 1 time big hp number.
                      90 Accord Coupe LX, Stock JDM H22A Engine 10.6:1 - Stock Automatic LSD MPA1 Trans, JDM P13 Auto ECU + JDM P19 TCU. Tune with Greddy E-Manage Ultimate
                      < 317WHP/227WTQ@11psi> B/W S256 turbo, Daily Driving on 93 pump gas - since 2006. Driving Turbocharged CB7 Accord since 2002.

Comment

Originally posted by blazen_accord
                        yes 17 psi is unreliable on an 10:6:1 compression stock engine no matter how well your tuner can tune It not going to last (as in 2-3 month at most). I'm runing 13-14psi on high boost setting, and that really pushing it my tunner say. I have to back off 3rd gear pull close to 7.2krpm or else I go over boost. normally I drive on low boost at 8psi and it been over 1 year now on my stock h22a. the ringland on the H22A is the weakest link. High compression turbo engine has very little room for error. unless you are going for highest HP bragging right then do a complete rebuilt up of the motor- reliable power and driven everyday engine get more respect then 1 time big hp number.
                        The reliability has nothing to do with the compression ratio. It's not reliable because it's a stock engine.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

the thing is i wont need to drive after i install my turbo because the place i'll install my turbo is the same place the tuner is and the dyno..and i am willing to pay a lil bit more for dyno and be safe then save some bucks and have it street tune.

and also i am thinkin on puttin a thicker head gasket just in case...it should help a little bit i guess.

Comment

Originally posted by blazen_accord
                            experience tuner that known honda engine with a dyno is best result but also most expensive. If you have a good tuner close by that is less then 30 miles and you can control yourself and drive like a granny after you have your turbo kit install. That mean no faster then 50 mph and stay out of boost at all cost and take it easy when accelating from a stop. If you tuner shop is much farther say over 1 hour or 100 miles away you need some street tune map 1st so you damage or worst don't blow up your engine driving there.

street tune as in a chiped ECU that use a dataloging device and then adjustment to the chip is made and then burn new chip. dyno tune is with some type of Engine management unit on a dyno and make adjustment on the fly. It is safer to tune WOT on a dyno then on a street getting a ticket or accident.
                            ok let say i have to drive 30 miles to get to my tuner..how will i know when does the boost kick in? to stay out of the boost.

Comment

a boost guage......

Comment

Working...
                              X