Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Valvetrain Suggestions??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valvetrain Suggestions??

Hi everyone. I'm planning on my first turbo build and my mentality with this build is go big or go home. I'm using an H23A1 motor which had spun rod bearings. I stripped the motor down and sent it to Darton East along with the crank. They will be doing the following to the block:

MID Sleeves (supposed to hold up to 50+ lbs of boost)
    Micropolish crank
    9:1 Wiseco pistons
    Carillo Super-A rods
    Balance and Blueprint
    Balance shaft eliminator kit
    Line hone
    Cylinder hone
    ACL bearings
    Complete assembly of shortblock

As an extra i'm running oil squirters from an H22A1 motor along with the oil baffle plates from that motor.

My question to you guys is what kind of valvetrain should i be looking at? Skunk2 is out of the question because they don't support the H23 motor. I was told the Crower cams snap in half from boost (please don't flame me about this statement, it was made by someone else). I would do Bisimoto but he's just a wee bit outta my budget right now. Unless he wants to hook me up .

There aren't a lot of people that i know of with boosted H23's. Which is another reason i'm doing this.

Almost forgot to mention, I am planning on using a Precision SC61 turbo (Precision's line of T3/T4 turbos for Sport Compact vehicles comes standard with Precision's TA31 style exhaust housings with a 5-bolt discharge side in A/R's of .48 or .63. SC61 comes with the GT wheel with a 2.795" inducer and 2.437" exducer (76 trim).
    Available with or without internal wastegate. Each turbo comes with a 360-degree race bearing center section and a T04E compressor cover with a 3-inch inlet and 2-inch outlet. Larger T04S cover with 4-inch inlet and 2.5-inch outlet available at an extra charge. SC61 has a 61mm compressor wheel that has a 2.416" inducer and 3.227" exducer (56 trim). Supports up to 680-hp at the flywheel with proper tuning.) easiest way to describe it. SORRY!
    I'm planning on running either RC or Precision 1000cc injectors, mini-ram or ramhorn manifold, ECTUNE for the tuning and misc other stuff.

Cliff notes:
    Built H23A1 shortblock for boost.
    Looking for valvetrain suggestions.
    Target HP is 400HP.
    Motor will most likely be seeing atleast 25psi on track if not more.

crower cams have new castings, what type of company would still manufacturer something even though its been proven to break? lol

anyways, i find the crower's to be relatively cheap.
    supertech and rocketmotorsports off valvetrain upgrades. i have their oversized valves, nitrided coated.
    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k
      crower cams have new castings, what type of company would still manufacturer something even though its been proven to break? lol

anyways, i find the crower's to be relatively cheap.
      supertech and rocketmotorsports off valvetrain upgrades. i have their oversized valves, nitrided coated.

A non-reliable company would :P Yes i know Crower is a reliable company, i am joking about the non-reliable statement.

As far as oversized valves go, i understand they are better for boost, but, am i wrong in assuming that they are better because they create a bigger opening for the air and fuel to get in and out or no?? How much more oversized than stock would be a safe bet?

Comment

for 400 hp 1mm over would be adequate.
        I <3 G60.

Comment

for 400 hp 1mm over would be adequate.

You do not by any means need oversized valves... Not even at 750+. Also, FUck the oil squirters, they are not needed with forged pistons, youll get a bit more precious oil pressure out of the omition of them as well... The oil squirters are there only due to the fact that the motors came stock with CAST pistons. You do NOT need them in a built motor.

Valvetrain IMHO... Supertech Springs/retainers and if you go with cams, cant beat Crower...

If you do go with a built head... SERIOUSLY think about oil... I RUINED 2 sets of cams running US manufactured Mobile 1.... The lack of dithiophospahte and zinc in newer US oils makes them far less superior to others available... If you run a sub par oil, you WILL have troubles with the increased spring pressures.

I changed to Royal Purple after reading the below test and havent had ANY issues since. I WENT FUCKING CRAZY trying to figure out why my vtec rockers and all the lobes on my EX side were shitting the bed (I changed my oil at 500 (Ran Organic Chevron to break it in), 1000 (to Mobile 1) and by 1600 miles my cams were SHOT TO SHIT.

Heres the article. Thisis an INDEPENDENT TEST... Not by Royal Purple.Think of your cams and rockers being in the test...

http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf

Another good place to read for more info is bobistheoilguy.com

Take a look at how the Mobile 1 did... Not really impressive. Seriously, its saved my motor... 8000 well beaten miles now at well over 600whp. Cheap insurance
          750 WHP/575 TQ CD5 Raping a street near you....
          realHomeMadeTurbo.com / Kaizenspeed.com / LSD Motorsports / Tempest Racing /SpeedFactory /ExplicitSpeedPerformance

GFI HOLLA!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cdiz0k0Rudw

Comment

TY sir. VERY VERY informative. Had no idea. I knew Royal Purple and Amsoil synthetic's were good oil's, just never saw an actual comparison by a third party done like this. I appreciate everyone's advice. I'm planning on going with Crower stage 2 forced induction cams. Supertech valves, springs and retainers and most probably AEM cam gears.

Comment

Brad penn break-in oil.

we use that to break in all of our small blocks running flat tappet camshafts.
              I <3 G60.

Comment

wow.......i didnt know mobile 1 was so bad....ive been using it in all my cars with no issues......Interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by chrischhorn
                  wow.......i didnt know mobile 1 was so bad....ive been using it in all my cars with no issues......Interesting.
                  its not bad, just need something with zinc in it and additives for break-in. another alternative is to use delo diesel oil.
                  I <3 G60.

Comment

Brad penn break-in oil.

we use that to break in all of our small blocks running flat tappet camshafts.
                    Not a bad option for break in at all...
                    750 WHP/575 TQ CD5 Raping a street near you....
                    realHomeMadeTurbo.com / Kaizenspeed.com / LSD Motorsports / Tempest Racing /SpeedFactory /ExplicitSpeedPerformance

GFI HOLLA!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cdiz0k0Rudw

Comment

Working...
                    X