Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

noob build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

noob build

Alright guys here is the new build.

I thought things over and planned a different route.

Its a set up that is on the classifieds that I'm going to purchase.

Stock bottom end (new oil pan gasket and piston rings)

I recently rebuilt the head with a 3 angle valve job, new seals, and a new head gasket, timing belt, balance shaft belts and water pump, and bolted her down with ARP head studs.

So the bottom end, set aside the rings, is all new.

MHI Big 16g turbo
    1g DSM manifold
    Apexi BOV
    DSM 450's
    Evo 8 intercooler
    CAI with Bypass Valve
    3" downpipe
    3" highflow cat, resonator, and muffler
    Innovate LC-1 w/ AFR Gauge (Still need to learn how to tune lol)
    H23 Manifold w/ removed aib plate and replaced with 2 gutted ones
    Walbro 255lph fuel pump
    NGK 4554 spark plugs
    Oil line restrictor.

I think that's it, I may have forgotten somethings. I will only be running at the stock pressure.

Thinking I'd be falling around 250hp?

How does that sound?
    Last edited by CB7lx91; 02-19-2009, 05:59 AM. Reason: change of plans

^^click it or ticket^^

sounds good to me.... may wanna do a compression test first and work out any kinks if you find any before u add boost and complicate things. yet and still great start
    Dont drive faster than your gaurdian angel can fly

Comment

If your rebuilding the bottom end, you should make sure to put it back together with quality parts. Oem headgasket and arp headstuds should do well for this.

Comment

I have arp head studs in my car now, so thats not a problem.

I was planning on all oem gaskets and such. You just answered my question about a thicker headgasket. I'd feel more comfortable using an oem one.

And a compression test is a definite lol. I want this block to be very reliable.

I am a technical person, and am no automotive master, but i am technically inclined. Would buying a used 14b turbo and then buying a rebuild kit from some reputable company (mitsu dealership?) could I rebuild it myself? I have read writeups on it and it doesn't seem hard at all.

Just don't want to have any problems with this build

^^click it or ticket^^

Comment

Looks like you've done your research.

Do some research on spark plug choice. Don't just go with 2 step colder plugs because everyone and their mom does it. Spark plug make a HUGE difference in the way your car will run.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Alright I'll look into that for sure.

Right now I'm looking up if it matters which bov to use - I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on some super high performance bov when all i need is like a 300zx bov.

This may be stupid, but do Honda dealerships have gasket packages? Like head gasket, rings, journal bearings, main seal, etc.? Or do I have to piece it together?

^^click it or ticket^^

Comment

Originally posted by CB7lx91 View Post
              Alright I'll look into that for sure.

Right now I'm looking up if it matters which bov to use - I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on some super high performance bov when all i need is like a 300zx bov.

This may be stupid, but do Honda dealerships have gasket packages? Like head gasket, rings, journal bearings, main seal, etc.? Or do I have to piece it together?

Good looking build. As for the gasket packages, it might be hard to find those at your local dealer. Although, if you search for some dealers on E-Bay, they have those packages already put together for you. At the local dealer, you'd have to piece it together.

Don't mean to thread jack, but, i'm at the point of choosing spark plugs for my motor too and was wondering what i should be looking for, since i hate doing what everyone and their mom did. I'm sure it's a reliable method, but, it's like a universal fit, rather than a custom fit.

Bump for the OP!!

Comment

Yeah man I am looking into plugs now as well.

For the gaskets, I was told all I'd need would be both main seals, oil pan, rings, head gasket, and that I should upgrade my rod bolts to arp

^^click it or ticket^^

Comment

honestly i dont think you will be happy with a 14b turbo. get something bigger and save yourself the hassle of swaping + retuning later on
                  Current 2016 Ford F150 XLT Sport
                  Past 1990 Accord EX Sedan
                  Past 1990 Accord LX Sedan
                  Past 1991 Accord LX Sedan
                  Past 1993 Accord LX Wagon
                  Current 1991 Accord EX Wagon

Comment

like a 16g?

Anyone know how specific I should get with a bov?

I can get a 20 dollar "jdm" ( ) from ebay or I can get an uber expensive greddy or apexi one. I feel I'dbe better suited for the cheap one, but I don't want this thing to collapse in on its self after like 2 months, that's why i asked about the 300zx stock one I read somewhere

^^click it or ticket^^

Comment

stock DSM. Works beautifully.

Comment

depending on the power you want, use the 16 or 18g.
                        Current 2016 Ford F150 XLT Sport
                        Past 1990 Accord EX Sedan
                        Past 1990 Accord LX Sedan
                        Past 1991 Accord LX Sedan
                        Past 1993 Accord LX Wagon
                        Current 1991 Accord EX Wagon

Comment

Alright, I just read that section of the cb7 "instructions" of how to boost an accord.

I have heard good things about ngk plugs. I read a good article on honda-tech that recommended NGK BKR7E's

^^click it or ticket^^

Comment

Originally posted by fatboy1185 View Post
                            depending on the power you want, use the 16 or 18g.
                            then it'd be 16g. I will only be pushing 8-9 lbs on a stock bottom end

^^click it or ticket^^

Comment

Originally posted by CB7lx91 View Post
                              Alright, I just read that section of the cb7 "instructions" of how to boost an accord.

I have heard good things about ngk plugs. I read a good article on honda-tech that recommended NGK BKR7E's
                              That's what everyone and their mom uses. It's the most common turbo plug. 2 step colder.

The plug IS NGK. There really is no other choice when it comes to Honda plugs.

You just have to get the correct heat range and plug style.

I'll narrow it down for you, search these plugs

NGK 4554
                              NGK 7173

Both are "8" heat range plugs. One style is projected, while the other is non projected.

Do some research on those plugs and the style of them.

I recommend sticking to tuning forums(hondata, ectune, evanstuning, pgmfi), as car forums know little to nothing about spark plugs.

On average, I've seen about a 10whp increase from using the correct set of spark plugs on turbo applications.

Comment

Working...
                              X