Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Dry Sump???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry Sump???

Admittedly, going turbo is quite a step for our cars, and we all know how important circulating the oil our engines and turbo's require is.
    THUS, I present this option. What about a Dry Sump system? A lot of high performance vehicles use them, and yes while we may be lowly street tuners, isn't that little extra sometimes worth the extra mile? I've seen an h22 turbo'ed hatch with a dry sump.
    Where there is a will, there is a way right? What are your thoughts on this?
    Confucius say...when god gives you gators...make Gatorade

Lot of work for minimal gains. Unless this is a serious track car forget about it. Then again, if you have the money and want to do it, go right on ahead.

Originally posted by Maple50175
    Oh here we go again. Maples other half.

Comment

i would agree

the only thing some people like bout the accord is the easy h22 drop in
      if u talk to most of the cb owners here they re mostly cheap (including myself)

on a cb would be some what of a challenge, being that the harmonic balancer is very close to the inside fender well and the dry sump would work on a belt system (u wouldnt want that belt to hit something and break)
      Originally posted by deevergote
      Just do what PR CB7 said.

"I'm Going For Wood" (Clickey Clickey)

Comment

I'd say from the hatches I've seen utilizing the belt driven, and hell, they're even more cramped, that I'm sure some minor fitting and modifying would work wonders.
        I've now e-mailed 4 companies that make and have had experience with the dry sump systems on Honda's, including Spoon. Lets see what comes up, I think this will make for an interesting research session.

Comment

If you have the money go for. You won't see to much gain, probaly no more than 10 horsepower due to less drag. It would be really interesting if did it. I demand a diy on it though if you do. Dry sump has pently of advantages it's just a little pricey.

86 4Runner - 22RE 5spd, 4" Lift, 35x12.5R15 BFG Km2's, 4.10 gears
          "The Turtle"
          DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

dry sump is nice if you actually have a race car. However on a normal or even a built turbocharged CB its not worth the money or time developing the system. 3000 bucks on average for the whole system can net alot of horsepower if that money were put into something that was going to really benefit such as internals and bigger turbo. There are tones of ten second cars running without dry sump.

My Wiretuck/ Insane engine bay
            member ride thread
            11.86@120mph T66 turbo 612hp F22A
            DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
            People can hate all they want, my f22 is faster than yours.
            I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
            John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "

Comment

Dry sump is used on track cars that see high G forces when turning at high speeds. In a pan type setup the oil can be forced to one side of the pan away from the pickup in turn the engine gets no oil .
              Last edited by Charlie240sxt; 12-20-2008, 02:17 PM.
              2004 Audi A4 Quattro 6 speed
              2002 Chevy 2500HD LQ4
              1995 SE 240sx 5 speed Ka-T re under construction
              1991 240sx current paper weight for sale
              Have a 240sx Q ask me
              Sorry I just think body kits are ***.
              Still lurking around......

Comment

Well I've done a price check on the dry sump, in total a whole system would be about $5700...ouch I know guys. The company, (A.R.E Dry Sump Systems), is a very very reliable company with great products and services... however, it just seems out of reach, as with a simple Moroso kicked oil pan and high grade pump pickup performance would be greater and simpler at a price of about $400 without investing all the time and effort. Was definitely worth a bit of research though, learned a lot about the systems and the inner workings

Comment

Working...
                X