Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

A forged piston alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In regards to the topic of discussion I would like to know in terms of reliability how great is this setup actually is because I've found a set of h22 rods that I can get pretty cheap and should definitely have the cash early/mid next year for forged pistons.

Comment

No less reliable than any other forged setup. It's all in how you build and spec your clearances.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy View Post
        No less reliable than any other forged setup. It's all in how you build and spec your clearances.
        Ok thanks and will I definitely run into clearance issues with this build? I've heard some speculation regarding valve clearance and whatnot with this build.

Comment

This pistons sit in the hole. There are no p2v or p2h clearances to worry about.

The clearances you DO need to worry about are p2w, ring end gaps and bearing clearances.

Comment

This pistons sit in the hole. There are no p2v or p2h clearances to worry about.

The clearances you DO need to worry about are p2w, ring end gaps and bearing clearances.
            Ring end gaps- where the piston rings nd cylinder wall meet and im guessin a gap will result in oil sliding pass the rings result in smoke?

And what exactly are bearing clearances? And p2w means ring end gaps and bearing clearances? Sorry for the noob questions its my first boost build.

Comment

P2w- piston to wall
              p2v- piston to valve

Bearing clearances...rod bearings and main bearings need to be all at certain clearances(specified in any manual), or else you'll experience oil starvation or rod knock.

ring end gap clearances are is the gap between the rings. These need to also be within limits.

It's all part of rebuilding a motor.

Comment

P2w- piston to wall
                p2v- piston to valve

Bearing clearances...rod bearings and main bearings need to be all at certain clearances(specified in any manual), or else you'll experience oil starvation or rod knock.

ring end gap clearances are is the gap between the rings. These need to also be within limits.

It's all part of rebuilding a motor.
                Ok thanks. I just checked my haynes manual and if im correct this will be my guide for where my bearing clearances should be:

Main bearing journals
                Diameter (standard)
                1990-1992
                Journal numbers 1 and 2-1.9676 to 1.9685 inches
                Journal number 3-1.9674 to 1.9683 inches
                Jounal numbers 4 and 5-1.9665 to 1.9688 inches

Main bearing oil clearance (standard) 1990
                Journal numbers 1 and 2-0.0009 to 0.0018
                Journal number 3-0.0014 to 0.0017
                Journal numbers 4 and 5-0.0005 to 0.0015

Connecting rod journal
                Diameter
                Standard
                1990-1992.....1.7710 to 1.7717 inches

Connecting rod bearing oil clearance
                Standard......0.0008 to 0.0017 inch
                Service limit......0.002 inch
                Connecting rod endplay (side clearance)
                Standard.....0.006 to 0.012 inch
                Service limit.....0.016 inch

Comment

Piston ring end gap
                  1990-1992
                  Top compression ring
                  Standard-0.0079 to 0.0138 inch
                  Service limit- 0.0236 inch

Second compression ring
                  Standard-0.0157 to 0.0276 inch
                  Service limit-0.027 inch

Oil ring
                  Standard-0.0079 to 0.0276 inch
                  Service limit-0.0315 inch

Comment

so all BS aside is anyone going to try this? im fixing to get pistons and i almost want to try ths. im not looiking for big numbers if i could get up to 350hp i would be more than happy, the bisi pistons are 86mm that means i would have to get it board over im not sure how much that costs

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit View Post
                      I am not a mod, BLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAH.
                      You are seriously a douchebag.

/

Personally I know of 3 people gone this route... Its woking out great (One over 500 on stock sleeves). Pull your head out of your ass andf recognize when something for the greater good is being shared, and try not to be a jackass...

Or tell me IM full of shit and dont know what he fuck im talking about too....

You make Chuck Norris sad in the pants
                      Last edited by Supergenius; 11-01-2009, 11:34 PM.
                      750 WHP/575 TQ CD5 Raping a street near you....
                      realHomeMadeTurbo.com / Kaizenspeed.com / LSD Motorsports / Tempest Racing /SpeedFactory /ExplicitSpeedPerformance

GFI HOLLA!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cdiz0k0Rudw

Comment

Originally posted by Supergenius View Post

/

Personally I know of 3 people gone this route... Its woking out great (One over 500 on stock sleeves). Pull your head out of your ass andf recognize when something for the greater good is being shared, and try not to be a jackass...

what the fuck?
                        ____

Comment

This is an interesting thread. They should replace "Dancing With the Stars" with this reality show.
                          F22a1, T3/T4 turbo, Greddy Type RS BOV on left-over AEM CAI piping, Turbo XS manual boost controller, PHAT intercooler, Crzy tuning, Walbro fuel pump, AEM FPR/fuel rail/pulleys/cam gear, Gude cam and throttle body, MSD ignition/cap/coil, NGK wires and Iridium plugs, Fidanza flywheel, ACT clutch, Nuespeed short shifter

9 lbs on stock internals (for 10 min)
                          16.2 1/4 mile with basics
                          ??.? 1/4 mile with turbo
                          139 hp with all bolt-ons
                          ??? hp with turbo

STAY TUNED

Comment

Originally posted by Supergenius View Post

/

dammit he just stopped, good going...

you've unleashed a beast now.

his response will add two more pages
                            Last edited by slammed4thgen; 11-04-2009, 04:50 AM.

smoke tires, not drugs.

Comment

Working...
                            X