Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Got an Airesearch M10, hard finding info on it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got an Airesearch M10, hard finding info on it...

Hey guys! so I got a turbo today for my first turbo build. It's going onto the shelf until I get another motor and rebuild it. Anyways it's an AiResearch M10. I'm new to turbos and I probably jumped the gun on getting a turbo since I'm finding myself with one I have no knowledge of. But I'm hoping someone on here can help me with where to look for info on this thing, like what numbers I should be looking for and where they would be on the turbo.

So far I know it's somehow related to Garret, like they are the parent company or something. And that it's possibly european. I can't feel any play in the shaft and it has an internal wastegate. This one also has a downturn bolted on the turbine outlet side with an O2 bung in it ready to have an exhaust flange bolted to it. It has a serial # on the flange for that part. It was on a civic. On the compressor on the outlet side there's a 48 and a 6 stamped just inside the housing. I posted some pics of it all below if it will help.

Edit: I think on the turbine it says A/R .83... It appears that the turbo has water and oil cooling as well.

I'd greatly appreciate any help anyone can give. I'm trying to learn as much as I can but without any friends who have boosted I'm at a loss for a teacher. lol.

Last edited by drummerwill; 04-23-2011, 12:09 AM.
    90 LX, 270,XXX miles strong!

I hope it's not a .83 A/R on the exhaust...that's a bit large for that compressor and your motor. Anyways it's part of the t3 family so research things like "airesearch t3 m10." Hope this helps.
    Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

Exhaust Turbine has what looks to be A/R .83 and some other stuff stamped below it but it's illegible. :/

And by "too large" what do you mean? like the motor wont be able to spin it or will the exhaust spool it further up the RPM's than the motor can handle? I'm just trying to learn what/how a turbo will affect the engine. The Area/Radius being larger will that mean it wont spool up as quickly?

Thanks for the Reply!

Comment

The A/R of the turbine greatly alters performance. Think about it this way...a small exhaust turbine would spin quickly with little force being applied to it right? The benefits are quick boost response/low turbo lag but the small turbine blade will act as a restriction in the upper part of the powerband. A large exhaust turbine is just the opposite. Large turbines will have a lot of lag but will be able to produce more power in the high rpm range. With the .83 A/R you have you're probably looking at not producing much boost power until 4500 rpm or later. And considering you're probably only going to rev to 7000 that doesn't give you enough range to utilize the turbo efficiently. You might even start to choke or surge which will damage the turbo. Worst case scenario is you can't keep the turbo from surging and the air pressure waves flow into the turbo and you practically backfire out of the turbo.

For comparison, my first turbine had a .48 a/r and wasn't overly peppy for an f22. It would give good strong response at about 4000rpm and produce 10psi around that rpm. My peak horsepower was around redline meaning the turbo wasn't quite running out of "breath" but the torque was falling off pretty hard after 4800 rpm. My next turbo was a .63 a/r. I did a lot of calculations and picked a GT32 because it was a perfect fit for the f22 with my power goals of 300whp on a stock block. The turbo felt a lot smoother but the powerband did shift higher in the rpms (intentional). I recall getting about the same boost response 500rpm later with .63 a/r turbine but i never got a chance to dyno the actual powerband shift.
        You're talking about a .83 a/r which is why i'm guessing you won't have much response till 5000rpm
        You should do a lot of reading before you jump into this:
        http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...o_tech101.html

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

Ok! Thanks for the info!!! I'm trying to research what Im doing and why im doing it, before I get too far. lol. I'll definitely read that link. Any other sites that you would suggest checking out for some good learning info on turbo and boosting motors?

Anyways thanks for helping me out!

Comment

That looks like a GM part number, if is is a T3 then its very likely its from an 80's Turbo Buick.
            1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Googled the part number, GMpartsgiant.com lists it as the turbo elbow for 1986 Pontiac Sunbird Turbocharger, 1.8L L4 (LA5/1.8J)

http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/componen...8md92ju69.html

So we have a winner as far as application.
              Last edited by Accrdwgnguy; 04-27-2011, 07:50 PM.
              1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Wow, thanks for looking that up! that'll come in handy somewhere down the line. lol... I'm still trying to verify that i'm reading the A/R right, cause I dont want to be pushing redline to get boost, haha... I'll have to search around and see if some GM sites have info on them.

Comment

If it was used on a stock 1.8L then it more than likely isn't a .83 a/r

Comment

Turbo looks tiny plus what manifold are you gonna use with it? I don't recommend wasting your time with that turbo. Get a DSM setup if you are on a budget.

Comment

The .83 turbine would be FINE for your motor. 2.2 L motor will spool the shit out of a T3 .8x housing ESPECIALLY with that little wheel. The compressors too small to support any real power. Pass on it.
                      750 WHP/575 TQ CD5 Raping a street near you....
                      realHomeMadeTurbo.com / Kaizenspeed.com / LSD Motorsports / Tempest Racing /SpeedFactory /ExplicitSpeedPerformance

GFI HOLLA!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cdiz0k0Rudw

Comment

Alrighty. I'm going to sit down and bust out the old calculator and do some math so ill know what I need to get as far as the sizes go. I wasn't going to boost much, like 6psi or so. Its my first build and I want to keep things simple. As for a manifold I was just going to use a cast log style and block off the wastegate flange. But if this is too small for 6psi then ill try to get a 16g or something.

Thanks for all the help though! I really appreciate it. if any one has any more advice or suggestions please chime in. I like getting any info anyone is willing to share.

Comment

Working...
                        X