Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

supercharged H22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To be honest with you, a lot of times an intercooler is not required with a side mount setup such as this. The only heat will be created by the bearing/turbine turning. There is no exhaust gasses heating the housing nor is it sitting on top of a hot engine. A small front mount intercooler will be more than enough for this setup.

Sounds like you have a good solid plan. Look forward to seeing the finished product.
    MR Thread
    GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Thats exactly how I was thinking. not as much heat exchange as with a turbo. My intercooler is approx 8x12in. quite beefy built (almost 4in thick) but small. It should be sufficient for my setup, and be able to be hidden. All you will hear is that infamous 'whine'

Comment

Eh, compressing air does create heat. It won't be soaking up heat from the exhaust as with a turbo, but you'll still benefit from an intercooler. I'd run one, even if it's overkill... better safe than sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by cincy90h22 View Post
          All you will hear is that infamous 'whine'
          Do the turbine/impeller centrifugal SC whine like the roots style twin screws?
          MR Thread
          GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

They do. An old friend of mine put a Procharger on his Mustang. Whined nicely!

Comment

yes, although they are quieter.. the v3 uses a sealed internal oil, and are louder than the v2 that I have. But it should still produce that unmistakable sound..

Comment

this needs to become a sticky asap when its done. what kind of numbers you hope to see?

Marry Jane

Comment

based on the s2000kit in stock form, it adds 49% horsepower over stock.. 240hp to 365hp I believe @8psi. I hope to get over the 300hp mark. As long as my math is correct ill be at ~9psi @7500rpm. The real question is will 9psi give me 105hp?

Comment

Certainly not the first.
                    Henry R
                    Koni/Neuspeed
                    1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                    1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
                    Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
                    made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

Originally posted by HenRoc View Post

Certainly not the first.
                      on the snail style I would say yes, unless someone is has done it.

Marry Jane

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                        Flame suit? Why?

The only time people get flamed is when they make the 10,000th "duz ne1 make a supercharger kit 4 r cb7z?" thread
                        You're actually doing it, which is commendable! I don't know of anyone that has done a centrifugal setup yet in a CB. There's the one famous JRSC on the H23VTEC, and a CD with a custom roots supercharged F22B2. Then there's wikkedv16's attempt at a front-mounted roots blower on his sister's Prelude, which worked until it blew the charge pipes off... That was how my plan was going to go.

Keep up with it. Keep us updated. Good luck!

As for the intercooler, what you have there is essentially a turbo compressor powered by the crank rather than the exhaust gas... so an air to air intercooler will be just as useful for that as it would be for a turbo.
                        I searched wikkedv16's name and came up empty on the FM root setup. It seems interesting, but i would like to know more. It could very well be an alternative for my project.

02 Crv
                        02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
                        92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
                        Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

Definitely some CB7 History in the making. I see you mentioned 105hp is your expected gain; is your H22 stock? I did some research to see what used Vortechs cost and it seems if you look around long enough, there are tons of deals to be had on those units, and the rebuild parts are fairly "inexpensive". I would strongly suggest that whoever did the fabrication look into making the brackets into a kit that other members could purchase if this project was a success. I'd be interested myself if I could keep A/C. Speaking of, is there any reason why the blower couldn't fit in the P/S pump location? Or is that actually possible?
                          '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

Originally posted by deevergote
                          If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

Originally posted by Joey GT-R View Post
                            Definitely some CB7 History in the making. I see you mentioned 105hp is your expected gain; is your H22 stock? I did some research to see what used Vortechs cost and it seems if you look around long enough, there are tons of deals to be had on those units, and the rebuild parts are fairly "inexpensive". I would strongly suggest that whoever did the fabrication look into making the brackets into a kit that other members could purchase if this project was a success. I'd be interested myself if I could keep A/C. Speaking of, is there any reason why the blower couldn't fit in the P/S pump location? Or is that actually possible?
                            I thought about that yesterday, it would be quite easy for me to put together a kit of brackets n such, let the buyer pick their own supercharger unit. Anyway, just a thought. The SC does not fit in the power steering location because the air intake sits too close to the exhaust header, unless you want to cut a big Hole in your Hood lol. So unfortunately AC and power steering cannot be kept with my setup. Which doesn't matter to me. Vortech Made a kit for the 97-99 civic B16, using a jackshaft to locate the charger next to the distributer, retaining AC/PS, but has been discontinued.

Comment

Originally posted by SOHC-FTW View Post
                              I searched wikkedv16's name and came up empty on the FM root setup. It seems interesting, but i would like to know more. It could very well be an alternative for my project.
                              Yeah, he didn't post about it. We talked one on one about it. He's the one that talked me into buying my own supercharger. That kid can talk me into doing just about anything!

Comment

Originally posted by cincy90h22 View Post
                                I thought about that yesterday, it would be quite easy for me to put together a kit of brackets n such, let the buyer pick their own supercharger unit. Anyway, just a thought. The SC does not fit in the power steering location because the air intake sits too close to the exhaust header, unless you want to cut a big Hole in your Hood lol. So unfortunately AC and power steering cannot be kept with my setup. Which doesn't matter to me. Vortech Made a kit for the 97-99 civic B16, using a jackshaft to locate the charger next to the distributer, retaining AC/PS, but has been discontinued.
                                The brackets would be a decent idea, i was going to ask but you said you wanted to be unique so i didn't. If one could piece together a full kit for under a grand or so that would be a great investment for decent power.

02 Crv
                                02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
                                92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
                                Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

Working...
                                X