Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

supercharged H22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No offense but to put together a kit, its gonna be way more than grand for everything. The SC alone would run about a grand (give or take) for a used one. And I wouldn't put used parts in something to sell, too much liability.

Anyway.. updates!
    Made extra braces for the SC bracket. Revised the belt/pulley system for better coverage on SC pulley so it doesnt slip. unit completely installed. Charge pipes and intercooler mocked up. Sending to a buddy to tig weld tomorrow. I don't have a tig or I would myself. Sorry no pics, left the camera at home.

Comment

The brackets was what me and joey were speaking about the rest was just hear say.

02 Crv
      02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
      92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
      Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

Originally posted by cincy90h22 View Post
        I thought about that yesterday, it would be quite easy for me to put together a kit of brackets n such, let the buyer pick their own supercharger unit. Anyway, just a thought. The SC does not fit in the power steering location because the air intake sits too close to the exhaust header, unless you want to cut a big Hole in your Hood lol. So unfortunately AC and power steering cannot be kept with my setup. Which doesn't matter to me. Vortech Made a kit for the 97-99 civic B16, using a jackshaft to locate the charger next to the distributer, retaining AC/PS, but has been discontinued.
        The idea of locating the supercharger on the transmission side does sound interesting for those who want to retain their accessories and I would imagine the mounting options would be a bit less restrictive. Still, I am very excited about your build.

Comment

Sure there is a lot more room over by the tranny to work with. If I still had AC/PS I prolly would have went that route. All you would really need is two carrier bearings like our axles are mounted to the block with, and a straight shaft. Hooking it to the SC is a lil bit tricky but could be done fairly easy I think.

Comment

Jackson Racing made a supercharger for the h22 at one point.
            Xbox: cityslika4g63

Comment

Originally posted by bustedhonda View Post
              Jackson Racing made a supercharger for the h22 at one point.
              That's been discussed a fair amount in this thread already.

Comment

Sure there is a lot more room over by the tranny to work with. If I still had AC/PS I prolly would have went that route. All you would really need is two carrier bearings like our axles are mounted to the block with, and a straight shaft. Hooking it to the SC is a lil bit tricky but could be done fairly easy I think.
                This is true, but at the same time, that's a large unprotected rotating shaft running more than half the length of the engine bay. I'd imagine a sleeved shaft, or something along those lines, would be a safer option but the basic idea is the same. If you add a pulley to the end of the shaft then use a small belt to link it to the SC, which would be on some sort of custom bracket, I think it would work.

The only downfall to a setup like that is that IIRC that's a lot of weight added to the crank which, in turn, would decrease power. Granted the SC would overcome the power loss but it's something to consider. Honestly your current setup seems to be the closest way to running this setup properly and efficiently.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike1357 View Post
                  This is true, but at the same time, that's a large unprotected rotating shaft running more than half the length of the engine bay. I'd imagine a sleeved shaft, or something along those lines, would be a safer option but the basic idea is the same. If you add a pulley to the end of the shaft then use a small belt to link it to the SC, which would be on some sort of custom bracket, I think it would work.

The only downfall to a setup like that is that IIRC that's a lot of weight added to the crank which, in turn, would decrease power. Granted the SC would overcome the power loss but it's something to consider. Honestly your current setup seems to be the closest way to running this setup properly and efficiently.
                  all your points are exactly the reason I am doing it my way.. Ive thought about this for years, researched and now Ive finally gotten around to doing it.

Two things I would like to add.. what would to do about applying adjustable tension to the belt connecting the shaft to the supercharger? I would just directly bolt the shaft to the SC. Also, you would still have to move the power steering pump (custom brackets) to keep it and have room for the pulley on the shaft to connect to the crank. Look at pics of the b16 civic with this set up and you will see all the different little things that you would have to custom make now that it is no longer made.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                    That's been discussed a fair amount in this thread already.
                    hahahaha

Comment

I thought about that yesterday, it would be quite easy for me to put together a kit of brackets n such, let the buyer pick their own supercharger unit. Anyway, just a thought. The SC does not fit in the power steering location because the air intake sits too close to the exhaust header, unless you want to cut a big Hole in your Hood lol. So unfortunately AC and power steering cannot be kept with my setup. Which doesn't matter to me. Vortech Made a kit for the 97-99 civic B16, using a jackshaft to locate the charger next to the distributer, retaining AC/PS, but has been discontinued.
                      I guess I was slightly misunderstood. I don't mind not retaining P/S. A/C was my only concern. So if the alternator can go in the P/S bracket, and the S/C goes where the A/C compressor goes or vice versa I'm perfectly fine with that. Is that possible?
                      '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

Originally posted by deevergote
                      If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

Originally posted by Joey GT-R View Post
                        I guess I was slightly misunderstood. I don't mind not retaining P/S. A/C was my only concern. So if the alternator can go in the P/S bracket, and the S/C goes where the A/C compressor goes or vice versa I'm perfectly fine with that. Is that possible?
                        there is no vise versa. you cant keep power steering or AC. Unless you cut a big hole in your hood for the SC to stick out. Seriously, the SC is not small, it takes up all the room previously occupied by the alternator and AC compressor.

SORRY THIS PIC WILL MAKE YOU DIZZY AS F*CK

Comment

Oh, poo.....guess I'm back to square one. But still great opportunities to be had for those who are willing to sacrifice a little comfort.
                          '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

Originally posted by deevergote
                          If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

so true... I dont drive the car much. nice days, no rain, no snow. A 4pt harness with 3in shoulder straps suck for daily driving lol

Comment

I got so dizzy there I almost got sick.

For some reason I have it in my head that you could just put the input pulley of the shaft in front of all the accessories and just use a belt that is ribbed on both sides. This would give you more than half the pulley touching the SC, which is very good IMO. You would already have to do so much custom fabrication as it is for that type of setup that positioning is entirely at your discretion. Why I am still harping on such an inefficient setup? I have no clue.

Back to your build. Looking at your pictures, it seems as though belt to pulley contact on the SC is 1/3 at best. Will it work? Yes, but from experience with the Stillen supercharger kits on the Z's and just belts in general, you usually want at least half the pulley contacting the belt for ideal/efficient transfer of the power from the crank. Is it possible to run the SC belt from the old power steering belt or vice-versa with the alternator being driven by the old power steering slot on the crank? Just my thoughts on the matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike1357 View Post
                                I got so dizzy there I almost got sick.

For some reason I have it in my head that you could just put the input pulley of the shaft in front of all the accessories and just use a belt that is ribbed on both sides. This would give you more than half the pulley touching the SC, which is very good IMO. You would already have to do so much custom fabrication as it is for that type of setup that positioning is entirely at your discretion. Why I am still harping on such an inefficient setup? I have no clue.

Back to your build. Looking at your pictures, it seems as though belt to pulley contact on the SC is 1/3 at best. Will it work? Yes, but from experience with the Stillen supercharger kits on the Z's and just belts in general, you usually want at least half the pulley contacting the belt for ideal/efficient transfer of the power from the crank. Is it possible to run the SC belt from the old power steering belt or vice-versa with the alternator being driven by the old power steering slot on the crank? Just my thoughts on the matter.
                                ok.. so that picture is before I made changes to the belt routing, I am using close to 3/4 of the supercharger pulley now. I was just to show how much space the SC really takes up. A double ribbed belt isnt really needed. Now if the supercharger spun clockwise (as some do) then a double ribbed would be a necessity to correct the direction of spin.

Running the supercharger off the power steering belt would be possible if you can get a pulley small enough on the SC. The difference in diameters is how you get your boost. You would need approx 2.5in (I forget if the PS pulley is 3in diameter or 4in) for 10psi, and even smaller if you wanted more boost, it was part of my initial thought but the desire to up the boost later overturned that idea.

Or vise versa, running the alternator off of the power steering pulley would work, but would that affect the output of the alternator? Since it wont be spinning as fast on the smaller pulley. Also that would mean pushing the alternator out that much farther from the engine. I made the alternator tensioner (slot) as part of the SC pulley, so they bolt together for added strength of the set up.

pphheww long winded sorry.

Comment

Working...
                                X