Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

supercharged H22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, relocating the alternator to the power steering part of the crank, while a bit more difficult, essentially just underdrives the alternator just the same as any aftermarket lightened/underdrive pulleys. While it would underdrive the alternator (which doesn't seem to be a big deal to the thousands of people using such pulleys), in theory, it would net you more power since underdriving your accessories puts less of a strain on the crank.

Comment

you make a good point. I don't claim that my set up is the best one ever, as it isnt being manufactured (yet lol jk) However I am the only one doing it, maybe for good reason haha. Ive put alot of thought into it, and am trying to be somewhat simple in my approach. Making as many parts myself and outsourcing as little as possible.

I am open to suggestions, of course, but at this point I am finishing up final details before initial start up and tune. It would be running already but im waiting on my oil restrictor from vortec. I didnt wanna send 60psi into it even for a second.

Comment

Merely speculation/suggestion. Just trying to help you get the most out of what seems to already be a very well thought out and definitely unique setup.

Comment

what about the opposite positioning? ie the alternator wayyyy down low and the sc up a bit higher on the top ac bolts and original alt bolts?

"Tucking tires and wires."
          The Chronicles.

Comment

It may be a wise idea to go for bigger injectors than DSM 450cc especially if you're going for over 300hp. I hit 100% duty cycle on mine and I'm just under 300hp.

Comment

Not tryin 2 b funny... but it looks like they belt will slide off when the car is on.. looks half on that 1 pulley
              **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
              Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
              Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

Jspec- basically the same question everyone else has asked.
                mounting the SC up higher the exhaust header is in the way of the intake. Also the AC location has 4 perfectly flat bosses to mount the SC bracket. Quite simply it is the easiest way
                Last edited by cincy90h22; 05-16-2012, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisisiced View Post
                  It may be a wise idea to go for bigger injectors than DSM 450cc especially if you're going for over 300hp. I hit 100% duty cycle on mine and I'm just under 300hp.
                  Thanks for the info.. haven't actually got the injectors yet so ill definitely address that

Originally posted by F20A CB7 View Post
                  Not tryin 2 b funny... but it looks like they belt will slide off when the car is on.. looks half on that 1 pulley
                  No its fine.. the belt is an inch or so wide, the idler pulleys are about 2.5in wide.

Comment

I dig it!

I read a few posts back something about pulley sizes and working with belts and shit.

There are a lot of companies that make custom belts on request, maybe contact a few and have something specific made for you.

For tension on the belt, I would consider a spring loaded auto tensioner or a crescent shaped opening in the bracket on one or two bolt holes so you can rotate the charger to apply tension, then bolt down. If you use a crescent design, use quality hardware, thread lock and locking washers. You wont regret it.

I ran out of injector(dsm 450's) before 300whp too. I run e85, but I was logging 25-26lbs/min at the time. No where near 300whp.

Im curious, do you have a compressor map for this charger? If so, doing some basic math will tell you what size pulley to buy for it to get into peak efficiency. The size of the pulley on the crank that this charger was designed for may have been much smaller/larger(diameter) than yours, and if it was than you will have a hard time getting this thing spinning at the right speed to make ideal power at the right RPM. You dont want this thing to have a hard time holding pressure all the way to 7,500 RPM, and you dont want this thing to wait to build pressure until 7,500 rpm either.

Basically, if you know the RPM you need to make in the compressor for the charger to get into its peak efficiency and you know the size of the pulley on your crank and the speed of the crankshaft-you can use this to determine the required size of the pulley on the charger to get you into peak efficiency (charger) during peak torque(on H22)

Pairing the two will make much nicer power band.

I dig your approach, If I was to charge an H22 I would have done the exact same thing. I've actually mentioned it a couple times that this is exactly how I would do it, Im happy to see it getting done.

Originally posted by wed3k
                    im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Originally posted by J-specCb4 View Post
                      what about the opposite positioning? ie the alternator wayyyy down low and the sc up a bit higher on the top ac bolts and original alt bolts?
                      That's actually how I wanted to do mine. Move the alternator down to the AC position, and have all that room up top for the supercharger.

Is this really going to make 300hp? The H22 only makes 165hp or so to the wheels in stock form. 300hp will be damn near doubling that!
                      I expected my M45 (which is a COMPLETELY different animal) to make maybe 220-230 max when I installed it.

Comment

I have thought about something similar using a modified comptech kit for the 3.2 cl/tl, just reversed. Placing the shaft so the pully side matches ours would place the supercharger right where the battery would be, a battery relocation would solve that then the supercharger would be on the intake side. Haven't done much measuring though but seems doable.

Last edited by darkfusion42; 05-16-2012, 10:24 AM.

Bought from: TypeG,mak,CB7_ACCORD,ChampCoupe,Blackex
                        Traded with: Cb7xChun
                        Sold to: Rob_is_legend,DaddyO,daheavyking
                        Sedan MR Thread Coupe MR Thread Prelude Si MR Thread
                        My huge For Sale Thread

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                          Is this really going to make 300hp?
                          Really depends on the compressor. I don't personally think it'll hit 300whp, but Im not sure how much this thing flows. Its certainly not impossible.

Especially if he plays with the pully sizes to get the charger adjusted into his powerband.
                          Originally posted by wed3k
                          im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                            That's actually how I wanted to do mine. Move the alternator down to the AC position, and have all that room up top for the supercharger.

Is this really going to make 300hp? The H22 only makes 165hp or so to the wheels in stock form. 300hp will be damn near doubling that!
                            I expected my M45 (which is a COMPLETELY different animal) to make maybe 220-230 max when I installed it.
                            If you look at my sig, I am not stock, and currently pushing 195 to the wheels. I hope to see enough gain to put me in the 300 range.

toycar - I already have my belt size and tensioner devices figured out. I don't see the need for another spring loaded tensioner, nor is there any room LOL. The charger itself cannot be slotted to rotate, its held to the bracket with 6 bolts.

Comment

I'm glad u are not doin this for HP numbers.. its all a guess rite now... you are doing this. Just because you can like you said.

I wouldn't want u 2 go thru all this and not hit ur hp range u want.

I am clueless on different sizes this and that on Turbo's, s/c, you guys know your stuff. I wish I new more so I can contribute knowledge wise, instead of askin questions =/.
                              **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
                              Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
                              Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

Originally posted by cincy90h22 View Post
                                If you look at my sig, I am not stock, and currently pushing 195 to the wheels. I hope to see enough gain to put me in the 300 range.

toycar - I already have my belt size and tensioner devices figured out. I don't see the need for another spring loaded tensioner, nor is there any room LOL. The charger itself cannot be slotted to rotate, its held to the bracket with 6 bolts.
                                N/A and forced induction are two completely different animals. Lungs vs gills.
                                If you have upgraded N/A camshafts, you'll be blowing your compressed air/fuel mixture right out the exhaust ports, wasting a good deal of it.
                                Header and exhaust will be useful for either, though, as will any headwork you may have (I have not looked to see exactly what you are running yet.)

Comment

Working...
                                X