Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

supercharged H22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
    PSI means little. 6psi from one turbo can be significantly different from 6psi from another... and certainly different form 6psi from a supercharger! A turbo with a similar flow rate to a supercharger will likely make more power, because the supercharger provides a parasitic loss. The engine is using power to make power. The turbo is spun by exhaust gas.

The difference is that the supercharger will provide boost very quickly, while the turbocharger has to spin up first... and until it does, it provides a pretty significant exhaust restriction. Modern turbos tend to spool very quickly, making the boost lag argument less viable, and thus weakening the argument for superchargers.

Still, I have a soft spot for superchargers myself. They're just cool!
    And honestly, 250-ish whp is pretty good for a FWD daily driver. 300whp would be about as high as I'd care to go, and that could be done easily with a supercharger and a few more mods than cincy90h22 has now. I think for a street car, a supercharger would be a very viable solution.

My fully built H22A is supposed to make 400+whp(with my 450cc inj and 60/63;T3/T4 Garret turbo) on 205/50/16 Kuhmo Esca 4x. I hope i dont rub and can maintain traction.
    Jesus drove a Honda, he just didnt talk about it like us. Proof - John 12:49 "For i did not speak of my own accord."
    Originally posted by deevergote
    den das al u ned u no dat u get wurs gas milge tho rite?
    These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

Comment

Traction may be a problem. But let's not make this thread about your turbo setup.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        Traction may be a problem. But let's not make this thread about your turbo setup.
        Ohh i hear you. I watched some of his videos that does sound nice not gunna lie. Do you have any plans on building the bottem end and getting a smaller pully for the super-charger ?
        Jesus drove a Honda, he just didnt talk about it like us. Proof - John 12:49 "For i did not speak of my own accord."
        These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

Comment

Currently in the process of building the bottom end, to the level of aprox 12:1 compression. I say approximately because I havent actually bought the pistons yet, still looking at options as they will have to be custom. 12/12.5:1 is the goal. The smaller of the pulleys that I have should be good for 10-12psi at 8k rpms. I will do the first tune with that, and see where it gets me.

Traction is surely a problem. Even at the 246 I was at with the first pulley(4.6psi) first gear was useless and nearly second. With the smaller pulley and street tune.. I only revved to 7k, first and second was completely useless unless feathering the throttle, and 3 was slightly useable once I had some momentum.

Comment

That's the only downside to practically instant torque on FWD... SO easy to just break the wheels free! My GTP was like that (approximately 240hp at the crank... but probably more torque, seeing as it was a 3.8L engine.)

You don't have LSD, right?

Comment

Not currently. Hopefully the budget allows for it before the motor goes back in. I still kick myself in the ass for not getting it a few years ago when I wasted my final drive and had to get a new trans.

Comment

nice i wanted to do this to my accord befor but like u said they had no kits

2014 bisimoto parts coming soon

Comment

No traction with higher psi heh... yeah LSD is a must even more with the instant power you are going to have. Maybe some really fat front tires..

I wonder if it would be viable for a boost controller setup by gear perhaps? Maybe a manual switch so you can limit it till third gear then go full boost? A normal two stage would probably not help much if you are still breaking traction through the full band.
                  My 91 Accord F22B DOHC MR

My 1996 Civic Ex H23A VTEC MR

Comment

The supercharger I picked up is a clutch-activated type from a Benz. I've always wondered if I could essentially turn it off until I wanted power, without totally choking out the engine.

But yeah, on public roads, a ton of power is difficult to use. Especially if you're not conscious of it. Hell, my basically stock CTS-V (06) is a handfull, even with RWD, LSD, traction control, etc... If I'm on a rough patch of road, I have to be very careful with the clutch and throttle, or the rear end is all over the place. Traction with a FWD car is even worse, especially since the wheels that determine the car's direction are the ones that will be losing traction!

Comment

Its not a turbo.

It could still be possible to vent off the charge air, but idk how easily/consistantly you can control pressurized air. At least when a wastegate regulates boost, its reducing speed of the compressor, so before the boost happens. I would have to release more air from the charge pipe, like a boost leak. I dont know, honestly. How well it would work, if it would.

When this thing goes back together, im contemplating adding another bov. My greddy doesnt seem to be able to handle the airflow. I need one or two that will open at idle, not just when you release the throttle.

Comment

But really im not interested in regulating boost on my setup. It would be an option on a clutch type supercharger if someone ever uses one.

Comment

I'm sure you've addressed it somewhere in the 236 posts of this thread, but I don't see it at a quick glance... How are you dealing with the closing of the throttle plate? I mean, the engine is still spinning the compressor, so it's still ramming air at the closed throttle plate, correct?
                          WikkedV16 had that issue when he strapped a roots blower to the front of a Prelude. As soon as he lifted off the gas, it popped the charge piping right off.
                          Do you just vent via a blowoff valve?

Comment

Yea currently just a regular greddy rs bov. Thats what I was saying a post or two back, there is so much air with the throttle closed at idle it doesnt open enough to release it adequately. When letting off the throttle, it does ok, again - I said I was contemplating running two. I have had it surge the compressor and throw the belt off.. hense my concern.

Comment

Are you running a F or H transmission ? Oh and do they have F LSD trans ?

Comment

H trans.

Comment

Working...
                                X