Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Head raising causing air to get into coolant and run hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head raising causing air to get into coolant and run hot

Every since ive had my turbo installed, had all new rebuild, all new seal but didnt put the head studs in, well its overheated on me after a few days cause i think its getting air in the coolant, the hoses after i run it a little while which are brand new are hard and cant sqish them in at all hardly after it builds up pressure, any way have change everything even though it was already new, new mishimoto radiator and fan that stays on the whole time the cars running, thermostat and nothing, water pump, bleeding it over and over, everything u can think of, then one of my really smart buddies that knows his turbos said that the arp studs will prob fix it cause the air had to be getting in between the head and lifts when under boost cause they seal it up better and will be pulling the head down on the block, just want to hear some comments and if anyone has had this prob..... thanks

Anyone had this prob, guess im going to put the studs in tonight and put it back together, the only other thing or place i couls be getting air in would be all the coolant lines on the intake manifold, maybe blocking all them off if this dont work.....

Comment

Originally posted by tootall View Post
      Anyone had this prob, guess im going to put the studs in tonight and put it back together, the only other thing or place i couls be getting air in would be all the coolant lines on the intake manifold, maybe blocking all them off if this dont work.....
      get a new head gasket too.and put all the lines back to normal....

my new turbo build

Comment

looks like that was the problem, no overheating at all after boosting then letting it sit and idle for a very long time for 5 days now, amazes me that was the prob but my buddy was right, he knows his stuff. thanks. ARP studs seal so much better for people that havent tried them yet or havinmg this prob.......... josh...

Comment

I agree, ARP head studs are a must when it comes to high performance whether being a force induction setup or high compression naturally aspirated. Of course making sure to have flat surfaces on both the cylinder head and block deck, along with a good quality multi-layer steel head gasket is crucial for a reliable setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Julio@Bisimoto View Post
            I agree, ARP head studs are a must when it comes to high performance whether being a force induction setup or high compression naturally aspirated. Of course making sure to have flat surfaces on both the cylinder head and block deck, along with a good quality multi-layer steel head gasket is crucial for a reliable setup.

Truth!

Almost always overlooked by new engine building enthusiasts.

Comment

I highly doubt that you were lifting the head at such little boost. Im guessing that you had a faulty headgasket or improperly torqued or reused headbolts.

My Wiretuck/ Insane engine bay
              member ride thread
              11.86@120mph T66 turbo 612hp F22A
              DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
              People can hate all they want, my f22 is faster than yours.
              I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
              John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "

Comment

Originally posted by turbo90accord View Post
                I highly doubt that you were lifting the head at such little boost. Im guessing that you had a faulty headgasket or improperly torqued or reused headbolts.

How do you know how much air he is pushing?

Hes pulling pretty good times, low 12's. And, he has a shitty tune running as lean as 20:1 at WOT while burning no fluids and not leaking anything. I've been helping him through email, but I thought and do think he was lifting his head.

It would only overheat after extended periods of positive pressure, and then afterwards he would find no coolant in the res/radiator. Blew several OEM radiators in the process. The car had no symptoms until he ran positive pressure.

upgraded to ARP studs, no problems since.
                Originally posted by wed3k
                im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Thank u for that. And thanks for all your help. toycar is the man, my car wouldnt be doing anything like it is if it wasnt for this guy! It wasnt the re torque of the bolts or the headgasket at all, just letting everyone know that, thanks..... and thanks to the other people who gave there input also.

Comment

coolant hoses building pressure

Ok thought my prob was fixed because it still hasnt overheated at all yet and can drive it around all day and boost every little bit and its fine, but if i boost alot for long periods of time, its building pressure in the two main radiator hoses and spitting or seeping a little out of the radiator cap which i know the caps good, mishimoto radiator with 19 psi cap, new thermostat and did it with two other radiators before the mishimoto, already took the head off a while back and put the arp studs and new headgasket and still runs perfect, just builds pressure after long periods of boost and drips out rad cap, still hasnt overheated once. any ideas..thank, just want some input or bounce some ideas around or if anyone has had this prob, thanks

Comment

maybe you have a fine crack in a cylinder wall or the head.

Comment

ohh god i hope not!

Comment

Originally posted by tootall View Post
                          ohh god i hope not!
                          yeah it would suck balls, but how else are you pressurising the water jacket...with combustion..

Comment

Did you re tq the arp studs after getting it up to operating temperatures?

02 Crv
                            02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
                            92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
                            Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

i took it apart and retorqued it thinking that was what it was but it was fine, didnt do it at operating temp just a couple of months after while cold..

Comment

Working...
                              X