Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

retaining butterflies with boost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

retaining butterflies with boost

hey guys i have been meaning to ask this for a while. will retaining the butterflies cause a boost spike when they are opened up?

also can you change the rpm level in which they open? or is it all vaccum pressure activated.

here is my idea: double stack, one plate having no buttterflies. the gutted plate will be up top.

i would like to use a larger turbo and keep the butterflies closed to help spool up the turbo and when i hit full boost allow the butterflies to open up.

92 LX N/A rust bucket restoration RIP
    91 DX Coupe to 9293 EX Coupe restoration
    funds for swap:$000.00
    Bought from:HondaFan81=My current CB7 DD ,CB7_Sleeper1 Koochologist Tommi mtnbikkerkid33
    Traded with: Wed3k

In my situation the turbo is building positive pressure before the secondaries open up. And no, there really isnt much of an effet on boost when that happens.

MHI-16g turbo.
    Originally posted by wed3k
    im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Correct me if im wrong but,

They are operated by vaccum, since your boosted after you spool up the butterflies wont open. So why have them in the first place ? Low end torque before your spooled ?
      Jesus drove a Honda, he just didnt talk about it like us. Proof - John 12:49 "For i did not speak of my own accord."
      Originally posted by deevergote
      den das al u ned u no dat u get wurs gas milge tho rite?
      Originally posted by deevergote
      These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

Comment

You can change the rpm the iabs open, and close at depending upon what tuning solution is being used. They are controlled by the ecu when setup properly, vacuum operation is a "hack", and a poor one at that. When the ecu triggers the iabs it grounds one pin, which controls the solenoid operation.
        Last edited by cloudasc; 01-11-2013, 01:30 PM.
        PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Originally posted by cloudasc View Post
          You can change the rpm the iabs open, and close at depending upon what tuning solution is being used.
          This.

Make sure the iabs open after you have generated positive pressure.
          Originally posted by wed3k
          im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

i thought that the iabs were controlled by the ecu. you need to swap over the pt6 when you do the a1 to a6 conversion to control the iabs. i just wasn't sure if a tuner could change the rpm level.

but yeah i was wanting to keep the iabs for low end torque for daily driving conditions.

so if its just grounding the iab pin i wonder if i could run it to a programmable shift light.

Bought from:HondaFan81=My current CB7 DD ,CB7_Sleeper1 Koochologist Tommi mtnbikkerkid33

Comment

I would put the gutted plate on bottom to prevent turbulence. Just my .02
              Originally posted by Mishakol129
              Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

the top plate would end up basically looking like the divider on the upper plenum and the upper plenum would be completely gutted.

Comment

Working...
                X