Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

3" exhaust inlet options for turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3" exhaust inlet options for turbo

Hi,

I will be upgrading the piping car to 3" for my turbo setup. Can anyone recommend some good exhaust/muffler ideas with a 3" inlet?

Currently I have a 2.25" inlet on the magnaflow exhaust I have and it's also too loud.

Have you checked Vibrant out? They have Canadian distributors too.
    http://www.vibrantperformance.com/ca...php?cPath=1022

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
      Have you checked Vibrant out? They have Canadian distributors too.
      http://www.vibrantperformance.com/ca...php?cPath=1022
      I have not. Thank You. From my understanding the turbo will quiet down the muffler a bit. And that Apexi and other manufactures don't make a 3" inlet muffler.

Comment

I've heard that as well. I think it depends on your set up too.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

The vibrant mufflers are great for turbo setups. When i redo my setup this summer that is what i am going to install. They have a nice black version that has a nice deep tone to it and is pretty low key.

My Wiretuck/ Insane engine bay
          member ride thread
          11.86@120mph T66 turbo 612hp F22A
          DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
          People can hate all they want, my f22 is faster than yours.
          I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
          John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "

Comment

i went with the vibrant setup 3" through and through with 3" ss from down pipe back. got the whole thing kinda pieced together from greg at go-auto. you just gotta tell them what kind of bends and lengths of pipe you want. pretty good priced as far as a whole exhaust setup goes. i havent received it yet or heard it so i cant tell you any actual testimony

Comment

Originally posted by kratemertyl View Post
              i went with the vibrant setup 3" through and through with 3" ss from down pipe back. got the whole thing kinda pieced together from greg at go-auto. you just gotta tell them what kind of bends and lengths of pipe you want. pretty good priced as far as a whole exhaust setup goes. i havent received it yet or heard it so i cant tell you any actual testimony
              Ok. My setup will be a turbo setup. Sounds like you're running no turbo w/ downpipe?

Comment

i have 3 inch piping on my turbo setup with a ebay rs muffler..surprised at how quite it is but its deep toned like nice deep..

my new turbo build

Comment

On your current exhaust, do you have a resonator and cat? That plays a big part in how loud it will be, especially on an N/A engine.

Like Magnaflow, Vibrant mufflers are a straight thru design, so loudness really won't be affected by changing it. It will just have a different tone. I personally like the sound of Magnaflow over Vibrant.

On your new setup, even though you are going up to a 3in exhaust, like you said, the turbo will quiet it down. I would still run a resonator though, to quiet it down some, and remove any "bad" sound. You can find 18" long Vibrant 3" resonators for as low as $60. And you really won't lose any significant power. For a muffler, I'd go with Thermal R&D. They are a smaller company located in SoCal. They make a really high quality product. http://www.thermalrd.com/

This is what I would do if I was my car:

-KTeller 3" stainless mandrel pre-bent exhaust tubing kit.
                  -18" Vibrant 3" resonator
                  -Thermal R&D 3" universal muffler http://www.nolimitmotorsport.com/prod/TMA-81630S
                  -Whatever exhaust tip style you like
                  Then get everything welded up at an exhaust shop.

It won't be the cheapest route, buy you will have a high quality exhaust that will last the duration you will own the car. Plus it should sound pretty darn nice. And not be obnoxious.

Comment

Originally posted by 92smokeaccord View Post
                    i have 3 inch piping on my turbo setup with a ebay rs muffler..surprised at how quite it is but its deep toned like nice deep..

Originally posted by Corweena View Post
                    On your current exhaust, do you have a resonator and cat? That plays a big part in how loud it will be, especially on an N/A engine.

Like Magnaflow, Vibrant mufflers are a straight thru design, so loudness really won't be affected by changing it. It will just have a different tone. I personally like the sound of Magnaflow over Vibrant.

On your new setup, even though you are going up to a 3in exhaust, like you said, the turbo will quiet it down. I would still run a resonator though, to quiet it down some, and remove any "bad" sound. You can find 18" long Vibrant 3" resonators for as low as $60. And you really won't lose any significant power. For a muffler, I'd go with Thermal R&D. They are a smaller company located in SoCal. They make a really high quality product. http://www.thermalrd.com/

This is what I would do if I was my car:

-KTeller 3" stainless mandrel pre-bent exhaust tubing kit.
                    -18" Vibrant 3" resonator
                    -Thermal R&D 3" universal muffler http://www.nolimitmotorsport.com/prod/TMA-81630S
                    -Whatever exhaust tip style you like
                    Then get everything welded up at an exhaust shop.

It won't be the cheapest route, buy you will have a high quality exhaust that will last the duration you will own the car. Plus it should sound pretty darn nice. And not be obnoxious.
                    Thanks guys for the input. My 2.5" setup was just the CAT and it was pretty dam loud with that magnaflow straight exhaust. Sounded cool at first, but after a few months it was hard on the head.

I'm going to look into these sites. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                    X