Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

drag turbo manifold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

drag turbo manifold

I have been looking for a turbo manifold for a while now and I think I found one that will suit my needs. I am planning on going with a Drag cast manifold with a t3 flange. Has anyone had any experiences good/bad with this manifold? Also, I am in the process of figuring out what trim and a/r to use. I was thinking of a 50 trim with a .48 a/r. I want a fairly quick spool but I dont want the turbo to crap out below 5k. Any suggestions on the trim and a/r? I forgot to mention the motor is the f22a1 out of a prelude.

Just went through this with midnite. I havent quite figured it out yet all the way but if you go to the thread called choosing a turbo you should be able to get an idea. Drag turbo manifold cast= good and it will fit better than the dsm mani's.

My Ride
    myspace

Comment

i figured the Drag manifold would fit pretty good and i got a pretty good deal on one so that's why i was asking. ill be sure to check out that thread too. thanks.

Comment

I have been trying to do some math to find the correct compressor map for my application but i am having some trouble. There are so many different variables that could change so i am not completely sure my numbers are correct. here are the numbers i am using:

Displacement: 2156cc = 131.567 cu. in.
        5 psig of boost = 19.7 psia of pressure
        80deg = 540degR this is the inlet temp.
        90% efficiency

these were calculated at 3000, 4000, and 6000 rpms:
        volume of air(cfm) = 114.2 152.28 228.4
        flow rate(lb/min) = 10.13 11.96 17.94

For a 50 trim t3 those numbers put me inside the 70% efficiency curve. Does this sound correct? Do my numbers look correct?

Comment

They look pretty close to me. I think the only thing your forgetting about and i was to is that if your boosting early say 1500-2750rpm you pretty much always be in boost which can were hard on an engine and also make everything run hotter. I want a really reliable 8lbs that wont work the engine hard yet, will still allow me quick access to boost. So you figure that your cruising somewhere most the time right under 2500rpm. From that point its a stab of throttle away from hitting boost. Your engine will love you for that. I was thinking a t3/t04E 57.trim .63 A/R. I think thats what it was anyways but that, if i have done my math right, should put me right there. Midnite knows which one we need but hes making it a pain in the ass!!! Just kidding midnite you helped alot.

My Ride
          myspace

Comment

im still trying to figure out exactly how the a/r effects the performance of the turbo...

Comment

cast iron

Originally posted by 1990DailyDriver
              I have been looking for a turbo manifold for a while now and I think I found one that will suit my needs. I am planning on going with a Drag cast manifold with a t3 flange. Has anyone had any experiences good/bad with this manifold? Also, I am in the process of figuring out what trim and a/r to use. I was thinking of a 50 trim with a .48 a/r. I want a fairly quick spool but I dont want the turbo to crap out below 5k. Any suggestions on the trim and a/r? I forgot to mention the motor is the f22a1 out of a prelude.
              Me and you are in the same boat other than the fact I have a H22a motor. I recently got my custom cast iron manifold designed after a drag manifold. It has short runners and is nice,heavy, and sturdy. I almost went for a stainless steel manifold but heard they have some downsides. The most major flaw I've heard many people talk about considering their light weight (which is good).....but at the same time they prone to cracking more if their isn't any brace or something supporting the turbo's weight on the manifold from constant hard shifting/rocking of the block etc.

My say is go for a cast iron manifold. It will outlast a steel manifold by far but that doesn't mean it won't crack either...but cast iron is better as far as durability. Look at our oem header...see how long those last?

I'm kinda thinking about getting a Turbonetics turbo...but I'm kinda researching those XSpower turbos. I've seen some people on honda-tech that used these "SS" turbos and had problems...but from what I understand the people that had the turbo's fail was because they didn't pre-lube it or have their oil feed/return lines starve it. I know their manifolds are crap but as far as their turbos...it's still a t3/t4 and I don't see 100+ people complaining about their turbos. Most of the threads I've seen started with 2-3 people that had their turbo or manifolds fail and people that never even experienced them for themselves jump on the complaint wagon and start boycottin their products.

275.00 for a brand new turbo, oil fittings, and downpipe bends sounds like a good deal to me! I'm seriously thinking about buying one.
              I need a custom turbo manifold built....
              707 NorCal NinjaZ

Honda Twincam Motorwerkz?
              "I am the Yakuza CB7!"
              '92 Accord Sedan SiR

Comment

might have to check that out. thanks.

Comment

Those are the same ones ive been looking at. I dont see how those could go south i mean at one point they were built by garret correct? And as long as your not running the shit out of them and providing oiling and cooling you should be alright. I have that the SS mani's are shit also. I am either going to do a drag manifold or find one for a h23. Screw a log manifold and i dont feel confortable getting rid of my torque mount to run a turbo which is going to make more torque. It just doenst make sense to me. Regardless of weather the others are filled or not thats to much abuse on the other three mounts.

My Ride
                  myspace

Comment

Originally posted by 90AccordSiR
                    Those are the same ones ive been looking at. I dont see how those could go south i mean at one point they were built by garret correct? And as long as your not running the shit out of them and providing oiling and cooling you should be alright. I have that the SS mani's are shit also. I am either going to do a drag manifold or find one for a h23. Screw a log manifold and i dont feel confortable getting rid of my torque mount to run a turbo which is going to make more torque. It just doenst make sense to me. Regardless of weather the others are filled or not thats to much abuse on the other three mounts.
                    the reason its no big deal is because the "mount" you are removing is NOT a "mount" its a torque strap. it has no engine bearing properites what so ever.

are you sure you dont need to take out your torque strap with the DRAG manifold?

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

my engine is like a tiger now with the torque strap removed. it's always trying to break loose. lol. I'm going to honda to get new side mounts and fill them to fix it. unless anyone has extras they want to sell me...(sorry for thread jacking)
                      Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

Comment

Working...
                      X