Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Crazy ECU chipping/tuning question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crazy ECU chipping/tuning question...

My girlfriends cousin has a 240sx with a KA24DE with a t3/t4 turbo (forget exact trim).... 6psi... He has this program (he said from new zealand) that one side plugs in the diagnostic port of the ecu and the other is a usb to the laptop. Now up until now, that sounds like a normal data logging setup on an obd1 ecu... This is where its crazy, he can ALSO (besides datalog) change every parameter real-time (timing, fuel, etc.) Now heres the question, is there any type of "chip emulator" or something along those lines, that would allow us to change stuff real time by changing info on the "pseudo-chip". I'm not turbo yet but just doing all the research I can and from what I understand you have to turn the car out to swap a chip no? If it was already running and you simply changed the info on it (the system would work quick, not be missing info for the time it takes you to change the chip) would the ecu recognize the changes or are they loaded into memory elsewhere on the ecu?? Sorry if this is confusing, I hope it makes sense to someone, let me know what you guys think!!

It sounds like his is OBDII and that is very do-able on OBDII's with a hardcore scan tool like the Mac Mentor, OTC Genesis or Snap-on Motis. For our OBDI's the ostrich is one option for real-time updating. You would still use the usual data logging cable seperately. http://www.moates.net/product_info.p...products_id=57 Hondata is another option...but much more expensive. I have a feeling that we'll see more real-time emulators pop up in the near future.

My Accord History:
    91 EX 2dr : 91 EX 2dr : 91 LX 4dr : 93 EX 2dr : 86 LXi 2dr : 92 LX 4dr : 92 EX 4dr

-Patrick

Comment

He is OBDI by the way.... and he was only using one cable to do everything. It's gotta be a nissan thing, lol. I just figured if this was possible with our cars it would cut tuning time in half!
      *edit* I just looked at that ostrich thing, there is no way to use uberdata and then just update the data being emulated, or you have to use tunerpro or tunercat?
      Last edited by sj960; 11-06-2005, 12:34 PM.

Comment

you know....I'm not sure if you can use uber or not. I would hope so, but it is not specified in the details. Send them an email and find out!

My Accord History:
        91 EX 2dr : 91 EX 2dr : 91 LX 4dr : 93 EX 2dr : 86 LXi 2dr : 92 LX 4dr : 92 EX 4dr

-Patrick

Comment

That would be sweet, just keep updating until you get the tune just right then just burn a chip and you can unhook everything, lol.... I will probably send em one and find out.... I would however like to hear from mrx about this, maybe I'll PM him too and see if he knows anything about this tuning route.
          Thanks acclude
          *edit* I'd be glad to hear from anyone else that would know anything about this as well!!!
          Last edited by sj960; 11-06-2005, 05:41 PM.

Comment

i apologize for my late arrival. The ostrich can be used with uber, uber 1.9's have a drop down menu for the ostrich and there's also a file on the uber site called "ost2" thats just a version of uber 1.7 thats ostrich compadible. But if your just tuning YOUR car and not others then don't worry about the ostrich, its too much money for your average tuner. Just because u don't have to turn off the car to burn a chip means nothing since you can't tune and drive at the same time. Not only that but your tuning speed is dependant on how much u know. We have basemaps for just about all our engines so its not like any of you have to tune from scratch.

BTW, there are no chips with ostrich, it plugs into the 28-pin footprint, you tune, save the file and burn that file to a chip.

www.Uberdata.org
            Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

honestly for 240's and se-r's with the sr20 the hack or emanage is the best options imo...for cost effectiveness
              I hate thieves!

Comment

or megasquirt n' spark...besides that theres really nothing else i've heard about.

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

So your saying if I had the ostrich connected right, and I had the datalogging setup (I know i can just use the widebands datalogging), I would go back, look shit over and make a new bin and upload that to the ostrich, therefore eliminating me having to pull the chip burn it and put it back in?

Comment

there is no chip with the ostrich, theres only an upload button. Your not sending information to the ostrich perse. The ostrich is sending whatever changes you make to the map to the ecu. You need to read up on the unit.
                    www.moates.net
                    www.uberdata.org

search foo!

Comment

Yea, thats how I thought it worked, I was just trying to get clarification.... Im just lazy and for me that would be a better way to tune... I won't have to pull a chip, just change that....
                      I'm currently going to school @ UTI in Exton, PA, so I don't have the funds right now to do the turbo setup, but when I graduate I will be doing a full build up and I am just trying to clarify and understand completely exactly what I need to do.
                      I appreciate everyones help on this, thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
                      X