Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

THEORY: The Ultimate Intercooler!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

THEORY: The Ultimate Intercooler!!

As you know I tend to like theories, especially Conspiracy Theories, but how about I bounce this off y'all.
    Let's say I have a Poverty Pack CB7 with a bog stock F22A1.
    Even though I like driving it around like a fucking lunatic at times, I also like driving around in 40+ Deg Celsius Heat with the A/C on.
    After I've told the wife to stop bitching' I decide I want to go the next step and whack in an Inter-cooled Turbo Setup with all the goodies but keep my A/C operational. (OK, Stop Laughing! I'm serious, it can get fucking hot here in Australia)
    Knowing that the colder the Air going into the engine the more dense it becomes and in turn the more fuel I can get in.
    What If I was to cut Two Holes in either side of the A/C Evaporator Casing and route piping from the Inter-cooler to the evaporator box and back.
    Would this be a viable Turbo Inter-cooler setup or just plain overkill?

E.G. Air Filter --> Turbo --> Inter-cooler ---> A/C Evaporator --> Engine.

Funnily enough I've seen this setup done 20 years ago to a 1984 Holden Commodore 4 Cylinder Turbo Diesel Hybrid, but not sure whether it made any difference. (Long Story!!)

seems kinda pointless to me since you'll already be running a fmic of some sort, so most of the cold air that would be coming from the ac would have to be spread out effectively across the intercooler and the incoming outside air would more than likely push the ac air out of the way cause the ac does'nt push with very much pressure, also that 70mph air is pretty cool, I would suggest making a homemade intercooler spayer with a windsheild wash pump, squirters I've seen people use everything from lawn spinklers to bars with small holes punched in them.
    ricers make baby jesus cry

Comment

that would be a weird setup. you would be better off with some electric fans, and maybe a nitrogen sprayer on the intercooler.

heres a fun story- a friend of mine bought a 240 with an sr20 with bolt ons. he decided that he wanted ac also. against my other friends advice (buy elec fans) he just ran the ac with the condenser sitting right in front of the intercooler. a few days later, the engine blew up

Comment

Originally posted by skinnye1
        seems kinda pointless to me since you'll already be running a fmic of some sort, so most of the cold air that would be coming from the ac would have to be spread out effectively across the intercooler and the incoming outside air would more than likely push the ac air out of the way cause the ac does'nt push with very much pressure, also that 70mph air is pretty cool, I would suggest making a homemade intercooler spayer with a windsheild wash pump, squirters I've seen people use everything from lawn spinklers to bars with small holes punched in them.
        Man you had me confused for a minute until I realised you may be confusing the A/C Condensor at the Front of the Radiator with the A/C Evaporator. ????

Correct me if I'm wrong but on a Standard Turbo Inter-cooler Setup doesn't The Ambient Outside Air go from AIR FILTER to TURBO to INTERCOOLER to ENGINE?

This theoriotical setup reroutes from INTERCOOLER to **A/C EVAPORATOR BOX to ENGINE INTAKE. (An Intercooled Intercooler)

**The A/C Evaporator Box is installed inside the cabin under the dash. it is where the Cold Air is expelled into the dash Vents.
        Last edited by F22-GURU; 01-04-2006, 02:01 AM.

Comment

I dunno but i had this idea b4 maybe its not such a good one though. Maybe you should buil something around the intercooler that would hold water than slap some drie ice into the container, so that the water may freeze. ALl you would need is to keep a tempgauge in the thing so you will know when you ll have to add more. but theb again i did say it wasnt such a good idea, and it may be pointless

Comment

Originally posted by Accordballz
            I dunno but i had this idea b4 maybe its not such a good one though. Maybe you should buil something around the intercooler that would hold water than slap some drie ice into the container, so that the water may freeze. ALl you would need is to keep a tempgauge in the thing so you will know when you ll have to add more. but theb again i did say it wasnt such a good idea, and it may be pointless
            Its called an air to water intercooler, they make them already. And as far as the AC idea...NO...it would be pointless. First you would have a hell of a time routing the piping and second the air is forced through the tubing to fast from the turbo that the AC woulnd't have engough time to do anything. Not to mention the more pipe you have and more bends, the more pressure and effieciency you loose.

Comment

Originally posted by 5spd=tehwin
              Its called an air to water intercooler, they make them already. And as far as the AC idea...NO...it would be pointless. First you would have a hell of a time routing the piping and second the air is forced through the tubing to fast from the turbo that the AC woulnd't have engough time to do anything. Not to mention the more pipe you have and more bends, the more pressure and effieciency you loose.
              Thought So! Just Overkill. A WOFTAM.

Comment

Originally posted by GEN46L
                (OK, Stop Laughing! I'm serious, it can get fucking hot here in Australia)
                Knowing that the colder the Air going into the engine the more dense it becomes and in turn the more fuel I can get in.
                What If I was to cut Two Holes in either side of the A/C Evaporator Casing and route piping from the Inter-cooler to the evaporator box and back.
                Would this be a viable Turbo Inter-cooler setup or just plain overkill?

E.G. Air Filter --> Turbo --> Inter-cooler ---> A/C Evaporator --> Engine.

Funnily enough I've seen this setup done 20 years ago to a 1984 Holden Commodore 4 Cylinder Turbo Diesel Hybrid, but not sure whether it made any difference. (Long Story!!)

oh my gosh! New South Wales, Australia...! I went to Sydney last February and i enjoyed it a lot. went walking all over Sydney and got to see some awesome cars --a lot of boosted cars too. i had fun there, some guy showed me his Holden Commodore--full leather, DVD, screens in the headreasts, $70,000 Australian dollars... for an American car... hmmm. it was awsome to see Skylines, EVOs, WRXs, Commodores, and "Utes" (i thought those were cool). Beautiful place. ...being that i'm from Hawaii and that was my first experience in a big city with trains and ferries.

Comment

Nitrous purges on the intercooler.

From what I have heard is a way to keep your shit cold.

Either that or some form of compressed gas...

Have to rig up sprayers in front of the intercooler and just purge it every few minutes. I dunno. Worth looking into I guess.

Comment

you do realize intercoolers really dont due much, even a 1.6 liter 4 cyclinder recving at 5k would be inducing/displacing 33.333 liters per second so you better have that IC blazing cold, otherwise your better off removing that heatsoaker and just concentrate on making the initial induction air colder.

we all know even a f22 is 2.2 liters and revs to 6.5k sooo, that is 59.5lieters per second, at almost twice the volumetric displacement your IC may just be a nice paper weight. BUT WAIT heres where its really funny both these calculations are given that you are using an intercooler at standard atmospheric pressure of 1 atm, that is running absolutly no boost..., so now if you boost to 7.35 psi(sounds about right for the average joe on here), you are displacing close to 90 liters per second(89.25)....... yeah.. hope you got one huge ass intercooler

PS: give me some time to find the specific heat of aluminum, so i can calculate how fast you can transfer heat to air using an IC. I shall be back
                    Last edited by SoySauceCb7; 01-05-2006, 11:05 PM.
                    To have loved and lost is better than to have never loved at all #CB7Life

Comment

It's proven that an intercooler will reduce intake temperatures significantly. Moving it to the front gives it enough space from the engine that it is less likely to heat soak, and also given the large size of most front mounts, the boost levels people run are in no range to heat soak them. Course I'm not an engineer and have only picked stuff through reading SCC, so prove me wrong.
                      members/ride | the/website
                      180 hp/145 ft-lb

Comment

what do you consider large? have you seen what people sue on there cb7's....... single core low rise IC's hardly anythign you will see on a skyline or supra, where we have multiple cores with actually tubed/finned designed that are FAR more efiicient at heat disapation than johnnyracer? or homebuiltturbo.com Ic's, just saying off the top of my head i can think of only one decent size IC on carlos's car even then its small

Comment

Even a single row IC can have good cooling efficiency. In addition the charge pipes will have an effect on the heat, tight bends can cause issues, etc.
                          members/ride | the/website
                          180 hp/145 ft-lb

Comment

Originally posted by SoySauceCb7
                            what do you consider large? have you seen what people sue on there cb7's....... single core low rise IC's hardly anythign you will see on a skyline or supra, where we have multiple cores with actually tubed/finned designed that are FAR more efiicient at heat disapation than johnnyracer? or homebuiltturbo.com [SIZE=2]Ic's, just saying off the top of my head i can think of only one decent size IC on carlos's car even then its small

rofl^^ homebuiltturbo.com?lol

anyways, in a FI car, an intercooler makes a huge differences in intake temperatures. In NA engines, even god is confused as to why someone would use an intercooler, it makes little to no differences.

Why do you think that intercooled turbo applications last longer than non intercooled applications. Go turbo 2 accords, or any car you wish. run one with an intercooler and the other without, then test the intake temperatures, there willl be huge differences. And not only that, but the intercooled one will be much faster and will last a lot longer and run better.

-Jose

** edit**

I also may not be an engineer, YET, but I have read a little more than half of Maximum Boost, and damn it, they say the same thing about intercoolers, and if they're wrong, then so is the rest of the FI followers that use intercoolers, which is highly doubtfull.
                            Last edited by d112crzy; 01-06-2006, 02:15 AM.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

nooooo im not saying intercoolers do nothing, however spending thousands on modifying an ac system to work on an IC is not worth, i never said that non IC last longer than IC cause thats incorrect, however when it comes to such high boost pressures and very high power engines the IC becomes more neglagible as the need for a larger one is required. i would love to see some real life numbers though from one of our members cars. cause were talking about cb7 applications here. and where the hell did you read of people using an IC on a NA car LOL i was simply calculating the air movement without even dealing with the increased flow with boost.

Comment

Working...
                              X