Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Turbo project, need opinions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo project, need opinions.

I'm in the process of turboing a 1993 Honda Accord ex coupe automatic. After searching around a few online communities I've found that chipping the ecu and writing a new map is one of our cheapest and best options available (tuning wise). Although this seems like my answer I've decided to use an SAFC 2, AEM wideband (for tuning) and 450cc injectors.

Some of you may ask why not just tune the factory ECU. My answer is simple, I have know one to help me with the process, the car can't be down for more than 1 to 2 days, and quite frankly I'm not comfortable with having so many variables that a fully tuneable engine management system has.

My power goals are 190-205 whp. After much thought I've decided that bumping the base timing back 5 degrees should be plenty of safety measure for running 7-9 pounds of boost.

The beauty to this whole project is that I can install the injectors, safc 2, wideband, gauges, and what not before I put the actual turbo, manifold, and piping on. This will ensure a smooth transition from a non turboed vehicle to a turboed vehicle.

Parts I have gathered already

DSM manifold (already drilled)
    DSM first gen 14B turbo with o2 housing
    DSM recirc valve
    DSM 450cc injectors
    Ebay intercooler 27 inches long, 3.5 inches thick, 6.5 inches tall.
    Ebay universal piping kit (plenty of miscallaneous pipes couplers and bends)
    Autometer sport comp boost gauge
    Honda exhaust manifold gasket
    DSM turbo gasket kit

Parts that I need to purchase

SAFC 2
    AEM wideband

Total project cost $1158

Please give me your honest opinions on my project. I would like constructive comments and suggestions towards my engine management selection and parts choices. Thank you!

-Colton Ray

ps do I need a resistor box for the 1993 Accord when running DSM low impedence 450cc injectors.

Originally posted by Colton

ps do I need a resistor box for the 1993 Accord when running DSM low impedence 450cc injectors.
    no
    h23a3 cb7 turbo sold

FS: 1 Piece JDM Headlghts blackhoused

My Members Ride !
    New ride

'07 GTI Mk5 6spd

Comment

Im in the same boat you are, im planning on turboing my CB7 but I dont have a clue what to do when it comes to chipping and tunning I was going to run an SAFC but I know that advances your timing. So just how do you set the timing back 5 degress, cause if I can do that I will untill MRX or someone makes me an ECU with Uberdata. Someone also told me that the SAFC only advances your timing when you pull fuel but not when you add, is this true.
      Last edited by wills_accord; 02-14-2006, 04:32 PM.

Will's Accord

Comment

Thank you for the reply prodigy, that solves that problem.

Will,

The safc will advance timing in the mid range, but match the factory advance in the top end at wot.

To bump back your timing you just move your distributor while watching with a timing light.

-Colton

Comment

your gonna blow it up dude. and your definitly not going to hit anywhere near 200whp. Even you you just use a basemap and (thought it kills me to say it) not tune it. it will still be wayyyyy better than an AFC. and cheaper too. Downtime is mabye...3 seconds? all you have to do is plug the ECU in. an AFC is much harder to install

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

Your gonna blow your shit up to kingdom come with that setup guaranteed ditch the hack meaning safc they are garbage. Get hondata.

Comment

Just turn the distributor dang I should ok known that DUHHHHHH , I guess the SAFC is out the question, im not trying to blow my shit.
              Last edited by wills_accord; 02-14-2006, 06:12 PM.

Will's Accord

Comment

190-200whp?...the auto tranny will hold you back.

Comment

don't you have to put a paperclip or something in the engine service plug. to change your timing.

Comment

Originally posted by sulimed
                    don't you have to put a paperclip or something in the engine service plug. to change your timing.
                    HAHAHA what??

dude dont' use a SAFC, go with uberdata. get an ecu from midnite. 3 resaons...

1. cheaper then a SAFC
                    2. will run a thousand times better then a SAFC without any additional tuning
                    3. takes all of 5 seconds of downtime to swap ecus, cuz he does send u another ecu u know. u dont send him urs to chip !
                    h23a3 cb7 turbo sold

FS: 1 Piece JDM Headlghts blackhoused

My Members Ride !
                    New ride

'07 GTI Mk5 6spd

Comment

couple of things...
                      yes u do have to jump the service connector to change the timing at the distributor...u can find that in the manual, or the ecu will compensate for the adjustments your trying to make.
                      The s-afc will add timing the more you take out fuel and usual settings for the s-afc are in the negative 20's and 30's. And ecu's should always be tuned...no exceptions.
                      Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

I will be tuning the ecu through Midnite. What should I expect for whp? What kind of times can I expect in the 1/8th? I'm sorry If I sound like a newb, but I was turned off on the ECU when someone (not midnite) told me to research more instead of helping me get in contact with midnite (I posted this in the ECU's for sale thread, go figure). Now that I have help I will retune the ECU.

Thank you Midnite.

-Colton

Comment

you were turned off? wtf

anyways, someone telling you to search is the best help anyone could give you. If you read the stickies mrx has in the performance tech section, I'm sure you won't be as lost.

Forums are for helping, not for spoon feeding, im sorry. If you need help, come up with a specific, harder question about tuning or anything else, then we can help you.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

I apologize for my comments, patience isn't my virtue. I will be sure to read all of the stickies, before asking questions that have already been aswered.

-Colton

Comment

Working...
                            X