Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Custom Turbo Header - How long do you think it will last?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom Turbo Header - How long do you think it will last?

I'm gonna get started on making the header for my turbo setup. The thing is, I'm doing it in phases. Phase 1 is boosting the F22B1 as it sits right now up to 12 PSI or so. Once that's done and all the kinks are worked out, Phase 2 is doing a H22A head swap with some headwork and bottom end work and boosting to about 16 PSI or so.

So since Phase 1 is only temporary for a few months or maybe a year or so, I wanted to go as cheap as possible on the header since the B1/H22A flange pattern is different. Phase 2 wold have a nice header made from thick, top quality shit, but for Phase 1 I just wanted to hack up my current F22B1 NA header, re-shape it to a turbo manifold and weld it all up. It's made of T-304 stainless, exhaust ports are 1 7/8" each and about 1/16" thick, the flange is about 3/8" thick.

Here's a pic of it:

How long do you guys think it will last till it cracks? If I can get it to last 6mos.-1year I'm fine with that.

Thanks for the feedback

My Accord History:
    91 EX 2dr : 91 EX 2dr : 91 LX 4dr : 93 EX 2dr : 86 LXi 2dr : 92 LX 4dr : 92 EX 4dr

-Patrick

Mine lasted a record 11 days until it cracked in 3 places.

Comment

Originally posted by AcclipseH23
      Mine lasted a record 11 days until it cracked in 3 places.
      That's reassuring.

Midwest car club

Current rides:
      91 accord lx (5spd)
      92 accord lx (5spd)
      93 accord lx (auto )

Comment

Did the flange crack or was it the pipes? I can fab up a new thicker flange in no time...but I want to save the good pipe material for the good header (it's like 1/8" thick stainless).
        Last edited by ACCLUDE91; 03-26-2006, 02:24 PM.

My Accord History:
        91 EX 2dr : 91 EX 2dr : 91 LX 4dr : 93 EX 2dr : 86 LXi 2dr : 92 LX 4dr : 92 EX 4dr

-Patrick

Comment

1 on Cylinder 3's headflange weld, 1 on Cylinder 1's 90 degree turn and the collector to the DSM flange. It was a ramhorn that I fabbed up in my friends muffler shop. I used all new SS T-304 parts and a nice 1/2" head flange...
          Last edited by KillerCam282; 03-23-2006, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Do you think the heat did it or the hot/cold/hot/cold effect from starting/stopping. It would be nice to header wrap them....unless it was JUST the heat that caused them to go. I have access to some decent mild steel which should hold up.

My Accord History:

-Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by ACCLUDE91
              Do you think the heat did it or the hot/cold/hot/cold effect from starting/stopping. It would be nice to header wrap them....unless it was JUST the heat that caused them to go. I have access to some decent mild steel which should hold up.
              It was wrapped, but I also think I might have rushed it when I was welding. I had 2 cars to tune up and get ready for dyno at that time and I was really pressed for time.

Comment

you would need many support rods because I dont think that header is strong enough to support the turbo.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

if thats a 4-2-1 header id just somehow weld a flange for the turbo to the 4-2 part. if the turbo would fit down that low in the engine bay

Old Ride-New Ride

Comment

Originally posted by Mike
                    if thats a 4-2-1 header id just somehow weld a flange for the turbo to the 4-2 part. if the turbo would fit down that low in the engine bay
                    Mine sits where my A/C compressor used to be.

Comment

That's what I was thinking. I'm also droppin in a smaller radiator to open up that whole driver side of the bay. Make a collector with the turbo flange and try to make the 4 pipes as close to same length as possible. I've got access to a nice tig and plenty of time so welding would be good. I think it will be strong enough to hold the turbo. If it's strong enough to support the weight of the engine when bein pulled/installed then it'll take a turbo. It wouldn't hurt to a add a bracket or two so I will take that into consideration. Got an external wastegate and I'm gonna run the dump pipe back into the exhaust instead of open. 2.5" pipe for up to the cat. Getting a 2.5" empty "cat". Making 2.5" all the way back to the muffler. I want it to be as quiet as possible so I want an actual muffler, pref. stock or stock looking but from a larger displament motor like from a.....dare I say it...takes a deep breath.....pauses.....from a Mustang or some other higher flowing factory car. 2.5" or smaller tip. Cheap, effective, and custom I hope I can get 6mos. out of it. I'll be happy if it happens.

My Accord History:

-Patrick

Comment

Ahhh...if only there were an HF manifold for Accords.

Originally posted by lordoja
                        im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy
                          Ahhh...if only there were an HF manifold for Accords.
                          Maybe if we ask Weir Racing on HMT, we could have an adapter plate that goes from to the f22a exhaust pattern to the HF manifold made out of 1" mild steel. and then we could buy the HF t3 adapter plate and use that combination on our accords.

one day i was irie and probin' out. i thought about having an adapter plate made out of 1" stock that would allow me to run a b-series turbo manifold on my f22a--since b-series manifolds are so common. i IM'd Weir Racing and told him about my idea and he said he could machine it. musta been the kryps

Comment

That would cost so much money and material to machine. Moral of the story, learn how to weld...

Originally posted by lordoja
                            im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy
                              Moral of the story, learn how to weld...
                              Exactly my whole point of this thread! I don't want a tiny HF manifold when I can make a decent one myself and for very cheap and less effort than going to the junkyard aand hunting down an HF manifold and modifying it.

My Accord History:

-Patrick

Comment

Working...
                              X