Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Are FMU'S that bad ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are FMU'S that bad ?

OK this is for the tuning and chipping guys here at cb7tuner. (Please read fully) Dont flame its just a though...
    Ive been thinking and researching tuning options as some of you may or may not know. Just about everyone on the site does not like fmu's and say they blow cb7's up and say go with chipped ecu's. Now just about every other car on the market do pretty good with them (fmu's)< ive researched this in other forums from ford, mazda, chev, mits. even non fi neons. Ive been thinking maybe they are not as bad as they seem. First off most people that have blown there motors were running the fmu, But is that really the problem ? Ive read countless threads here about this and everyone points to the fmu. Did anyone notice that all they had was the fmu.. What do you think would happen if one were to upgrade to the 450 dsm blue tops with walboro 255 lph and the 12.1 fmu ? Some had the fmu and pump, some had the fmu and injectors but i didnt find someone running all 3. Now Problem 2 that seems to help with the dead f22ax is the heat factor, running the t25, and 14b's make alot of heat and that's also a big factor in killing the f22's as im sure we can all agree. Also most of the cb7's have a crap load of miles and im pretty sure that dont help matters either. Now im not taking away from a chipped ecu i agree that is the best way to go but tuning it can be a PITA if you dont know what ur doing. So what do you guys think about this idea. Step one 450's, fuel pump < must have's anyways. Step two doing the t3 turbo or bigger this is better or the 2.2 anyways and also run alot cooler from not being in boost 24/7. Now add the fmu and you should be fine right ? Granted not the best idea for major power but should be safe. Also thinking about getting the wideband and fpr and do some kind of street tune and use the fpr to raise or lower the fuel pressure according to the wideband. Run it on the street watch the wideband and if it goes lean pull over raise the fuel pressure and so on. AGAIN im not saying this is going to be the best way to get power but Do you think this is going to be safe waay to go about it. Come on tuners chime in on this.. Sounds like a good idea for the tuning challanged.

Originally posted by Gettin_faster91
    So what do you guys think about this idea. Step one 450's, fuel pump < must have's anyways. Step two doing the t3 turbo or bigger this is better or the 2.2 anyways and also run alot cooler from not being in boost 24/7. Now add the fmu and you should be fine right ? G

I think your car is going to choke on its own fuel, its going to have so much damn fuel in vacume i would be surprised if it ran. We dont use FMUs for a reason, they are junk, and there are much better alternatives for not much more money. Stop avoiding the ECU because its "to much trouble", trouble is something that goes along with major modifications.

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

Oh its no so much the trouble im just cheep lol. Id think that the fpr would keep it from getting pig rich seeing it can be adjusted and the fmu will add as needed in boost btw r33 are you still chipping ecu's ?

Comment

Oh its no so much the trouble im just cheep lol.

Its not that much more money...waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back when i had bought an FMU for $90. a chipped ECU from Midnite (no im not doing it anymore). is only around $140...a small price to pay for good stuff

Comment

uberdata is free.
          OS^e
          1993 Honda Accord LX Coupe

My Members Ride's Thread

StickyDilJoe: "JDM may be a fad, but making your car look like shit... thats forever"

Comment

I do agree with the ecu and true 140 is not bad plus a good base map. then i figure in the cost of all the burner and laptop everything else i need to tune it its not all that cheep anyore granted burner 40 bucks. laptop i can borrow.Then im going to have to spend countless hours trying to learn to tune and hope i dont blow the motor to hell in the process.. Shit for that matter its just the tuning part thats freaking me out.. Im sure i can chip the ecu myself but then again thats more money haha for the iron and crap !

Comment

Originally posted by shawn.hayden
              uberdata is free.
              Yeah its free its all the other stuff you need that cost ya. I mean i dont want to buy 400 bucks worth of stuff that im only going to use a time or two.

Comment

Yeah its free its all the other stuff you need that cost ya. I mean i dont want to buy 400 bucks worth of stuff that im only going to use a time or two.
                Only going to use a time or two??? your going to use it everytime you get in your car...

Comment

and its not $400 worth of stuff either! you can get everything you need for under $100
                  OS^e

My Members Ride's Thread

StickyDilJoe: "JDM may be a fad, but making your car look like shit... thats forever"

Comment

You know what i mean ! The burner, iron, data cables all the tuning stuff. And why do you think fmu's are crap ? < not trying to start nothing just trying to understand. There are people on the board running them too with no problems. In the FI forum there was a list of whos making what power and i beleave i seen someone running the fmu and doing good with it. I just dont know why no one likes them like i stated ^ .. i dont think its the fmu blowing stuff up. Why are other cars running them with no problems ? What makes them $hitty

Comment

Originally posted by shawn.hayden
                      and its not $400 worth of stuff either! you can get everything you need for under $100
                      Shit ok i got $100 in my hand now your telling me i have everything ? like r33 said its going to cost me 140 just for the ecu. Even if i chip it myself its going to be about 60-100 just for the ecu, about 20 bucks for the diods (SP) and cap's soldering iron, solder chips burner and cables yeah its more than 100 bucks more like 200-250 for everything i need.

Comment

I just said for the stuff to do it, not including the ECU.

FMU's a piggybacks... they TRICK your car into doing things that the ECU doesnt want it to do. which in turn usually leads to bad things happening. thats why uberdata/hondata/etc. is so much better....
                        OS^e

My Members Ride's Thread

Comment

Like i said i agree with the ecu being better. Not so much as a piggy back its not tricking the ecu in any way its not like the vafc. Its mechanical just goes off the vacume. But i know what ur saying. I dont think its much different that driving and come up to a hill. Ya start going up the hill and have to give it more gas to make it up. No one can tell me why they are crap. I mean yeah they have moving parts and it could fail at some point, but anything could fail at any time too ya know. This is an edit for wed3k confusion lol - the hill statement its like the fmu it adds fuel as needed.
                          Last edited by Gettin_faster91; 05-07-2006, 02:21 AM.

Comment

god, im so confused right now.
                            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Here i dont totaly agree with what this site says but here it is . http://www.superchargersonline.com/content.asp?ID=97 fyi i just found this.

Comment

Working...
                              X