Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Best clutch/flywheel combo for Boosted A6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best clutch/flywheel combo for Boosted A6

Hey guys, this 250k mile clutch isn't going to hold as soon as i slam 200+ hp into it, so I'm looking into upgrading.

First question being, is a lightened flywheel (less than 9 lbs) a good idea for a boosted car? Especially one that redlines lower than a lot of "high-performance" engines.

Second question, in your opinion, what is the best combo. ACT clutch and flywheel? Exedy clutch and ACT flywheel? Reason I ask those two is because I am purchasing from clutchcityonline.com because of a previous great experience and they offer those options in great deals.

I appreciate the responses, thanks!
    Colin
    wat

Nobody has any idea huh?
    wat

Comment

Its not that no one has any ideas. I am pretty sure its because this kind of thread has become a weekly thing.

Comment

Well, then input would be easier than searching through 90% bullshit threads. Thanks for the help.

P.S. There are zero clutch-related threads on the 2 pages of the F.I. forum.
        wat

Comment

this is what ive gatherd on lightend flywheels

a flywheel that is lighter then around 10 pounds is very hard to drive as a dd. ... ull notice its hard to start from stop lights and what not and that its hard to keep the car in powerband during racing situations becuase it de-revs very fast between shifts.

if u going to drive it daily im guessing a 12 pound is a better idea

and im pretty shure w/ all of them ull loose a lil top end power ...(just kinda makes sence)

Old Ride-New Ride

Comment

Originally posted by Mike
            and im pretty shure w/ all of them ull loose a lil top end power ...(just kinda makes sence)
            Please explain how exactly you think this makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorCipher
              Please explain how exactly you think this makes sense.

well im pretty sure ive read that a couple times, ill looks for the post

it just seemed that way to me but i thought deeper into it and now i see how it doesnt make much sence.

w/e

and thats y i say things like "pretty shure", and "what i gather".......im not gana though out (off the top of my head) information and say that is 100% true.

i was actually just gana post or edit in the fact that im not completely sure about if the actual weights i metioned may be a lil off. but still... all i know is the if its too light those things may happen (other than the topend thing)
              Last edited by Mike; 06-05-2006, 08:14 PM.

Old Ride-New Ride

Comment

Originally posted by Mike
                well im pretty shure ive read that a couple times, ill looks for the post

it just seemed that way to me but i thought deeper into it and now i see how it doesnt make much sence.

w/e

and thats y i say things like pretty shure, and what i gather.......im not gana though out shit information and say that is 100% true.

i was actualy just gana post or edit in the fact that im not completely sure about if the actual weights i metioned may be a lil off. but still... all i know is the if its too light those things may happen (other than the topend thing)
                Whoever said that a lighter flywheel will cut high end power is a fucking dumbass. Somebody did say that once and I fuckin' reamed him for it because it was so blatantly stupid. Please think for yourself and not just believe whatever you read on here. The ratio of idiots to knowlegeable people is fucking sky high.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorCipher
                  Whoever said that a lighter flywheel will cut high end power is a fucking dumbass. Somebody did say that once and I fuckin' reamed him for it because it was so blatantly stupid. Please think for yourself and not just believe whatever you read on here. The ratio of idiots to knowlegeable people is fucking sky high.
                  i normaly dont...it just kinda made sence in my mind, untill u just made me think deeper about it

Old Ride-New Ride

Comment

okay, well through the blabbering i'm gonna go with an ACT 12 pounder and an xtreme clutch. thanks?
                    wat

Comment

I have ACT clutch and stockflywheel resurfaced, and ACT pressur eplate. Cutch is street/strip and I love it
                      h23a3 cb7 turbo sold

FS: 1 Piece JDM Headlghts blackhoused

My Members Ride !
                      New ride

'07 GTI Mk5 6spd

Comment

i have an exedy stage 1 and fidanza 7-8lb flywheel. it's not hard at all to drive on a daily basis and it offers stock pedal feel but grabs hard when you need it.

Comment

Working...
                        X