Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Budget Turbo piston??? Speed-pro Hypereutectic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Budget Turbo piston??? Speed-pro Hypereutectic

Hi guys...I sorta touched on this a little in my turbo thread...

But I'm rebuilding a block i have since my f22B piston went.

I do have a set of stock pistons that could go in, but instead i'm thinking of puting in Speed-pro hypereutectic pistons.

These are the same that are available at Importperformanceparts.net under Flatlander Racing Hypereutetic pistons.
    I found out more from them and they are made by speed-pro which is a division of Federal-mogul (one of the biggest auto-parts manufactures in the world).

heres the website on the pistons...
    http://www.federal-mogul.com/en/Afte...Hypereutectic/

and a little more info about the technologies when they were released...
    http://www.autocarepronews.com/defau...e=art&id=4878&

Upon further research, they are available at Summit racing for only $25/piston including wrist pins. So for $100 for all 4, a pretty affordable product.
    ANd i'm sure they are at least a little stronger than stock pistons...in general eutectic is almost always stronger than cast (provided it's made by a reputable manufacture and not some cheap chinese made piston).

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...view=1&N=700+0

On a side note, the eclipse pistons are hypereutectic as well as the miata 1.8L which is very turbo friendly (actually designed for turbo...and many kits offer warranty on the motor even at 300hp).

Since i need new rings anyways and am doing a bottom end rebuild, i thought these might be good to try...
    No one has heard a thing on them or tried them (that i know of)...so why not be the first.

Mark

dude where did you find pistons for $25 at summit racing? there up in the $400's. I know kms is a very good place to buy parts.
    Last edited by quickangel93; 11-28-2006, 06:34 AM.
    miss my turbo cb7
    moved onto volvos. dont know how that happened, just did

Comment

shit i wish i knew this before hand...

ILBB
      People I have dealt with in this board- Smseagren83,d112crzy, Idrivealude, aznpnoyracer, wed3k, dinertime, HF22T, MRX, Dc2lewd, yeamans17, bruno8747, tn_accords, king james, starchland, yardiexd40

Mk3 Supra Member #2

Originally posted by DarkShadow707
      The world needs to be reset.

Comment

damn those are very cheap pistons. i dunno bout them. i like the shoes above me. /\
        cant wait till im all done

Comment

Originally posted by quickangel93
          dude where did you find pistons for $25 at summit racing? there up in the $400's. I know kms is a very good place to buy parts.
          See link above...they are $25...i couldn't believe it either. I'm inquiring there about the ring kit to see if i can get it from the same place. otherwise i'll grab them at importperformanceparts.

Comment

Originally posted by 91accord2dr
            damn those are very cheap pistons. i dunno bout them. i like the shoes above me. /\
            thanx y0!11!!

i really wanna see someone give those a try...i always wondered about a cheap piston alternative for our f22's.I envy the d series guys.120 bucks on vitara's that handle 400+hp is insane to me.

ILBB
            People I have dealt with in this board- Smseagren83,d112crzy, Idrivealude, aznpnoyracer, wed3k, dinertime, HF22T, MRX, Dc2lewd, yeamans17, bruno8747, tn_accords, king james, starchland, yardiexd40

Mk3 Supra Member #2

Originally posted by DarkShadow707
            The world needs to be reset.

Comment

$173.30 with rings and shipping

Rings are Sealed-power (same company line of rings and quality rings too i believe) for $63.
              Seen here, but with no info, but it is the right part number for those who care.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku

i ordered, but are on back-order...will ship on the 16th i think.

Mark
              Last edited by mtnickel; 11-29-2006, 12:23 AM.

Comment

On a side note, the eclipse pistons are hypereutectic as well
                Also, people have put eclipse pistons into there f22's, same bore, stronger, and compression works out pretty well. You just need to get your rods re-bushed and have the them pressed together.

About 3 years ago a guy did this with his f22b dohc and made around 350whp with no issues.

Best of luck and I hope these work out for you, and keep everyone informed on the progress.

L8r
                Turbo H23a3 build has begun
                01-01-2019

Comment

Originally posted by bjaccord
                  Also, people have put eclipse pistons into there f22's, same bore, stronger, and compression works out pretty well. You just need to get your rods re-bushed and have the them pressed together.

About 3 years ago a guy did this with his f22b dohc and made around 350whp with no issues.

Best of luck and I hope these work out for you, and keep everyone informed on the progress.

L8r
                  really? do you have a thread or pics of it? I remember about a year ago there was a huge thread on here trying to fir the 4g63 pistons in the f22.
                  Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

Comment

Ya...the compression height was much larger than that of the f22 pistons and the piston would sit like 2mm out of the block.
                    I tried to figure out a way with an F20 crank and f22rods and whatnot, but it never seemed to pan out very good...not cost effectively anyways.

The only way i recall from that thread was with a thick headgasket and the H22 crank.

Alas, this post summed up the issue
                    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showpost...&postcount=167

mark

if you have a link to the actual project or the guy who did it...i'd be intersted...but it's likely that custom rods are required.

Mark
                    Last edited by mtnickel; 11-29-2006, 12:35 AM.

Comment

i thought it was more an issue of getting the wrist pins to work for the mitsu pistons/f22 engine than the general circumfrence of the psitons themselves... i didnt know they were sitting 2mm off vertically...guess i didnt catch that thread.
                      Last edited by bresk8r87; 11-29-2006, 02:23 AM.
                      1993 CB7
                      2001 BB6

Comment

Originally posted by bresk8r87
                        i thought it was more an issue of getting the wrist pins to work for the mitsu pistons/f22 engine than the general circumfrence of the psitons themselves... i didnt know they were sitting 2mm off vertically...guess i didnt catch that thread.
                        Surprizingly, the 2nd gen DSM pistons were 22mm wrist pins = .866 which is the same as our wrist pins.

It is just the placement of the wrist pin on the piston...too far down.
                        1.378 compression height

F22 = 1.203 for a difference of .175" = 4.445mm...quite a bit.
                        even with the H22 crank (95-90.7 stroke diff = 4.3mm / 2 = 2.15mm)
                        it still sits out 4.445-2.15 = 2.295mm

so ya...they really aren't an option. I fiddled numbers with crank and rod numbers...never works out. Custom rods would be needed.

Mark

Comment

I tried to find the guys posts on superhonda.com but I don't think they go back far enough. He had a cool setup though, he's the one who put the idea into my head about turboing back in 01'

Anyway, best of luck with these other pistons, hopefully all goes well. L8r
                          Turbo H23a3 build has begun
                          01-01-2019

Comment

Working...
                          X