Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Turbo Oil Pressure and TIAL BOV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo Oil Pressure and TIAL BOV

Ok Im sure this may have been covered but my searches for the wording in the title (Minus the TIAL BOV Part) of this thread yields no results. I am in the final stages of piecing my turbo kit together and had a question about oil pressure. I purchased the stealthmode oil kit and am confident that the oil pressure should be ok but for the sake of asking, Will the stock oil pressure (H23) pose any problems and is there anything I should do to ensure good oil circulation? I was talking with some people that are helping me with the project and they raised that question. Also, I found that the popular BOV amongst the boards is the HKS. I am looking at a TIAL 50mm. I have heard these are of very good quality. Do you all think $260 a good price with flange? Any info would be helpful, thanks!

BOV is mainly about the type of sound you want, UNLESS you are pushing some heavy boost. I personally like my DSM 1st gen BOV, and its like $40. For 260 i would get a hks ssqv, cause those sound like sex. But thats me. as for oil pressure, my jdm f22b pushes enough, but if you want to ensure you don't have oil starvation, get a toga hv oil pump.
    Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

Comment

I also got the stealthmode oil kit.

My concern is the opposite however in that the turbo sees too much pressure and can leak oil out the seals. That or it bleeds too much pressure and deprives the rest of the engine oil.

How many out there use restrictors?

My last (albeit very warn engine) died from oil starvation and then spun a rod. Oil levels were just fine too. shoulda noticed the signs when the oil light would flicker if the RPM dipped into 500-600rpm during off throttle decelerations.

Mark

Comment

i use a restrictor on mine and its set at about half way. my setup has been fine for 1.5 yrs

Formerly 91AccordExR33
        11.68 @ 127mph
        417whp/375wtq
        Sold: 8/2016

Comment

Thank You! That is exactly what I was looking for as far as the restrictor. R 33, how much boost are you running? Are you on a stock internal engine??

Comment

yes, stock bottom 7-9 psi.

Formerly 91AccordExR33
            11.68 @ 127mph
            417whp/375wtq
            Sold: 8/2016

Comment

Originally posted by mtnickel
              I also got the stealthmode oil kit.

My concern is the opposite however in that the turbo sees too much pressure and can leak oil out the seals. That or it bleeds too much pressure and deprives the rest of the engine oil.

How many out there use restrictors?

My last (albeit very warn engine) died from oil starvation and then spun a rod. Oil levels were just fine too. shoulda noticed the signs when the oil light would flicker if the RPM dipped into 500-600rpm during off throttle decelerations.

Mark
              this is exactly what happened to me... since ive gone back to fully stock/ n/a i havent had any problems, and i knew i wasnt leaking any oil, but i was fearing the bottom end was gonna get starved eventually... a restrictor is a VERY good idea, and theyre very cheap...
              1993 CB7
              2001 BB6

Comment

Nice. I am looking for 9-10 psi. I will get that restrictor. Thank You all again!

Comment

Where can one buy a "restrictor" and where exactly does it go/how does it work?
                  1991 Accord LX Coupe - Boosted F22 - 5spd LSD - Shaved Bay - Work VSXX - Recaro SRD

Member's Ride Page | Video of my CB7, Open Downpipe peelout

Comment

StealthMode sells them as well as the oil line kit, and it will go in line with your stainless feed line to the turbo... i also have an oil press. gauge hooked up after the restrictor to be on point with the stats so i know i'm running enough oil press (5-9psi at warm idle) and not too much (up to 40psi at cold idle/ initial start when cold) and about perfect when getting on it (around 20-30psi depending on rpm... any more and it'll leak out the seals, which i had a SEVERE problem with back in the day, and if there's too little then, well... Bye Bye turbo!!

Comment

precision turbo actually require a specific amount of oil pressure for their turbos i found out. I got my restrictor which bolts onto the turbo's oil inlet for like $33 from stage 6 motorsports here in JAX and its a one-piece design. I have the stealthmode one also but took it off because after the heat in the engine bay hit it enough the adjuster started to feel really loose and that could cause it to close off very easily.
                      Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

Working...
                      X