Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

What to do; run the brand new engine with no turbo, or with? How did you do it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do; run the brand new engine with no turbo, or with? How did you do it?

Ok my motor is in progress, i have a fully built head with a delta 282 cam and the block is being done as we speak, my question is what should i do when it is finally done?

1) Tune the brand new fully built motor, run it n/a with no turbo, stock exhaust manifold.
    2) Wait till i buy all the turbo pieces and put the motor in with the turbo, all the guages, msd ignition, wideband, etc. everything. Tow it to a dyno and break-in the motor with the turbo, while tunning it.

The 2nd option sounds good to me BUT what if i run into problems? If i put in the motor, the turbo, all the guages, ignition system, etc. The problem would be a lot harder to track down, if i put the motor in and there is problems, i know it has to do something with the engine, if everything goes well good, then goes on the other parts, piece by piece...

My other problem with option 2 is that I can have the motor complete and ready to be put in by April, i dont have enough funds to get all the turbo, etc parts till about July. The wait will kill me

any opnions or suggestions would be VERY appreciated, thank you very much
    1991 Accord LX Coupe - Boosted F22 - 5spd LSD - Shaved Bay - Work VSXX - Recaro SRD

Member's Ride Page | Video of my CB7, Open Downpipe peelout

Break In Without Turbo
    Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

Comment

That would be the best thing to do, give you time to work out all the kinks and crap you know.
      99 GS300 (Aristo) 2JZ Power

Bought from:gdout, bb6-sh

Comment

why not save the installation time and just run with the wastegate wide-open....that way it is like NA entirely...i don't see much if any difference to that than NA...aside from a little pumping loss from a less efficient exhaust manifold.

Comment

I personally would drive it without a loose chargepipe so you dont get tempted to go into boost until the motor is broken in and until its tuned. And take the performance injectors and leave the stock ones in or youll wash out your rings. and thats it until your ready.

Comment

if you guys knew anything, you'd know the proper way to break in a motor is to abuse the living hell out of it for the first few miles right?

gota get the rings seated properly, and driving like a dead grandma wont do that.

here's a good article if you dont know how or understand the concept.
            http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

also, if he's gona put injectors and all that other shit, hopefully he has a basemap before he starts it.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy
              if you guys knew anything, you'd know the proper way to break in a motor is to abuse the living hell out of it for the first few miles right?

gota get the rings seated properly, and driving like a dead grandma wont do that.

here's a good article if you dont know how or understand the concept.
              http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

also, if he's gona put injectors and all that other shit, hopefully he has a basemap before he starts it.
              definitely

Comment

hence my post, even if im gonna run it N/A im gonna get a basemap, and then tune it before i even drive it N/A. Either way i have to tune it, thanks for all the input anyone else?
                1991 Accord LX Coupe - Boosted F22 - 5spd LSD - Shaved Bay - Work VSXX - Recaro SRD

Member's Ride Page | Video of my CB7, Open Downpipe peelout

Comment

my teachers has put thousands of motors together and when he was a youngin like me his mentor that used to rebuilt engines during WWII taught him how to break them in and he has always used this procedure with no problems:

let the engine warm up

take it to about ~15 mph, in third, throttle to the floor.

dont let engien go above 3000 rpm

upshift to 4th to acheive 50mph

let off throttle completely, don't use brakes.

let car come to ~15mph roll

repeat above steps 10 times and engine is ready to be run hard.

level road preffered.no steep hills

basicly the whole theory is maximum pressure on the rings and then max vacuum on the rings while deceling.

i'm planning on using this method but it will be hard if theirs traffic on the roads.

ILBB
                  People I have dealt with in this board- Smseagren83,d112crzy, Idrivealude, aznpnoyracer, wed3k, dinertime, HF22T, MRX, Dc2lewd, yeamans17, bruno8747, tn_accords, king james, starchland, yardiexd40

Mk3 Supra Member #2

Originally posted by DarkShadow707
                  The world needs to be reset.

Comment

Originally posted by Ilikebigbutts
                    my teachers has put thousands of motors together and when he was a youngin like me his mentor that used to rebuilt engines during WWII taught him how to break them in and he has always used this procedure with no problems:

let the engine warm up

basicly the whole theory is maximum pressure on the rings and then max vacuum on the rings while deceling.

i'm planning on using this method but it will be hard if theirs traffic on the roads.

ILBB
                    you could wait and do it a night

Comment

Originally posted by Ilikebigbutts

let the engine warm up

ILBB
                      From all I've heard/read about break-in, I think it can be summed up as "Full throttle with low RPMs".
                      Although, good luck driving 15mph in third with an F22 tranny
                      Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

i do 15mph in 3rd all the time...
                        Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

Comment

yeah me too 3rd @ 15 is cruising basicly.

ILBB
                          People I have dealt with in this board- Smseagren83,d112crzy, Idrivealude, aznpnoyracer, wed3k, dinertime, HF22T, MRX, Dc2lewd, yeamans17, bruno8747, tn_accords, king james, starchland, yardiexd40

Mk3 Supra Member #2

Originally posted by DarkShadow707
                          The world needs to be reset.

Comment

Working...
                          X