Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Clutch and Flywheel choice, cheapo XTD (ebay special) or $600 Brand Name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch and Flywheel choice, cheapo XTD (ebay special) or $600 Brand Name?

Im down to choosing a clutch and flywheel for my turbo project, I have an LSD F22 tranny, and im gonna be shootin for over 400whp (around 420whp). Im not gonna drag race the car often, its gonna be my daily driver and mostly highway runs, i will never launch it hard from a dead stop. I was thinkin of going with a cheap ebay special XTD Stage 3 clutch and lightened flywheel, for $200 shipped! ACT clutches and other brand names run around $400 or so and $200 for a lightened flywheel.

I read a few reviews on the XTD clutches and a lot of people like them, however i havent heard a single setup with over 400whp running XTD clutch. So whats your opinion? go with the $200 clutch and flywheel combo, or spend 3 times the money and go with a brand name?
    1991 Accord LX Coupe - Boosted F22 - 5spd LSD - Shaved Bay - Work VSXX - Recaro SRD

Member's Ride Page | Video of my CB7, Open Downpipe peelout

brand name. make sure it's the brand name disc, not pressure plate.
    Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

Comment

ACT.

Comment

Oh knoes they got XTD Stage 4 now lol just saw it the other day as for how much tq it holds I do not know. But if you got the money go for a namebrand.

The New-ish Ride
        My old Ride
        Hear my Vtak!!!
        MK3 Member #3
        I piss off people for fun.
        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Maybe i should be a test dummy for this XTD Stage 4 clutch and lightened flywheel
          1991 Accord LX Coupe - Boosted F22 - 5spd LSD - Shaved Bay - Work VSXX - Recaro SRD

Comment

the stage 4 holds 380 ft lbs of torque as they claim.
            People I have dealt with in this board- Smseagren83,d112crzy, Idrivealude, aznpnoyracer, wed3k, dinertime, HF22T, MRX, Dc2lewd, yeamans17, bruno8747, tn_accords, king james, starchland, yardiexd40

Mk3 Supra Member #2

Originally posted by DarkShadow707
            The world needs to be reset.

Comment

XTD clutches seem to be OK for my use...but i'd estimate the flywheel and pressure plate will only last around 15-20k Miles. Reason being the ceramic really chews up the metal.

If you want HIGH clamping load and torque capabilities, but also very good durability, then a full kelvar disk is in order (with a ACT stage 3 pressure plate). The kevlar disks are insanely durable...even after 20k miles, you can take them out, sandblast the glaze off and you are good to go again...they wear almost nothing at all. OF course this is a true kevlar disk, not the Kevlar blend you see in cheap kits.

Comment

Originally posted by mtnickel
                XTD clutches seem to be OK for my use...but i'd estimate the flywheel and pressure plate will only last around 15-20k Miles. Reason being the ceramic really chews up the metal.

If you want HIGH clamping load and torque capabilities, but also very good durability, then a full kelvar disk is in order (with a ACT stage 3 pressure plate). The kevlar disks are insanely durable...even after 20k miles, you can take them out, sandblast the glaze off and you are good to go again...they wear almost nothing at all. OF course this is a true kevlar disk, not the Kevlar blend you see in cheap kits.
                My friend (backfire32) has been running an xtd stage 3 for 2 years and his shit is starting to slip now. He rags on it too so yea. He has a boosted f22a.

The New-ish Ride
                My old Ride
                Hear my Vtak!!!
                MK3 Member #3
                I piss off people for fun.
                IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

i needed to put a new clutch in my baby, and saw the stage 4 so i decided to try it out. I dont know how it is going to fair, and if i dont like it i will just spend the 600 and get something name brand. I am a bit skeptical about the power ratings tho, my stage 3 slips past 4.5k ~ like 8 psi. So we shall see, ill be the guinea pig
                  My baby laying down some power...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd_Q8HSIyqA

Comment

i always recommend the XTD, its a good price for a pretty good quality clutch... but usually for stock motors/swaps, as well as my own h22... but if i were building a 400+whp car, i wouldnt trust an XTD clutch, id definitely go name brand.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                    Current cars:
                    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

ACT extreme duty PP

Formerly 91AccordExR33
                      11.68 @ 127mph
                      417whp/375wtq
                      Sold: 8/2016

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike]
                        i always recommend the XTD, its a good price for a pretty good quality clutch... but usually for stock motors/swaps, as well as my own h22... but if i were building a 400+whp car, i wouldnt trust an XTD clutch, id definitely go name brand.
                        i would have to agree, cant trust those hp/torque ratings all that much.
                        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by 91accordexr33
                          ACT extreme duty PP
                          I second this PP.

Comment

i say none of the above! run an action clutch! best clutch i have ever used! Bisi has them on here on special. he has the light flywheel to match too!

My Wiretuck/ Insane engine bay
                            member ride thread
                            11.86@120mph T66 turbo 612hp F22A
                            DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
                            People can hate all they want, my f22 is faster than yours.
                            I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
                            John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "

Comment

I want something streetable, this is a complete daily driver, including 1000+ mile road trips, ofcorse running low boost (around 250whp), im only gonna run 400+whp at the drags, not very often.

Comment

Working...
                              X