Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Wideband 02's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wideband 02's

I have been searching around and am still wondering about the necessity of a wideband o2 for tuning on my 14b dsm setup. Lots of civic guys i know have bought the whole kit with wideband sensor and control box, and others have spliced into the harness and ran 2. Can we just replace our narrowband straight up with a wideband?? As far as tuning goes, i know a wideband can nail down a/f ratios wherever needed. Can a narrowband provide accurate ratios outside of 14.7? Any info on your setups would be great

A wideband is a deffinate need for tuning A narrow band is just like it sounds it only has a narrow range that it opperates in With a wideband you can have a "standalone" system wich operates without the ecus input When you are tuning you can disable the o2 so you wont throw any cel

just my two sence

GOT BOOST???

massive part out on accord almost everything is going

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=125294

Comment

you could just get it dynotuned (they will use a wideband while tuning).

If you don't plan on tuning the ecu yourself...(datalogging cable, chip burner, etc), then i wouldn't worry about it.

otherwise, the narrowband is pretty much useless for tuning...even tuning part throttle (where you want 14.7), it's hard because you don't know HOW rich or lean you are.

Mark

Comment

The Wideband will allow you to tune alot better. If you are going any heavy duty all motor/boost setup it is wise to invest in one. A/F is one of the most important things to monitor when you are tuning. You can run with the wideband but usually people use the wideband to dial in the settings on the ECU and run it on the stock one if I remember correctly. I could be wrong on that. Anyway any sort of digital readout AF gauge/system will work. The lil blinking LED readout things arent really good for tuning.

The New-ish Ride
        My old Ride
        Hear my Vtak!!!
        MK3 Member #3
        I piss off people for fun.
        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Cool, you guys have filled in most of my blank spaces of knowledge with this issue. I was previously under the impression though that I would buy a wideband for tuning, just replace the stocker, get it dyno tuned for boost ( f22/h23 fank, bossted on 8 psi out of 14b setup) and just keep the wideband in. To clear things up, I can just use a wideband to tune, then after my ecu presets are there, i can go back to a narrowband? Is this because i will be running open loop anyway over say 75% throttle?

Comment

You can keep the wideband in there if you want. Many dont advise that b/c the sensor wears out quickly.

If you're gona tune, then tune part throttle as well and dont use your stock o2 sensor(narrowband). You can either plug it or put the sensor back in(maybe you have visual inspection).

A dyno tune is not necessary, at all. Street tunes can and do suffice, especially for the lower hp setups.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy
              You can keep the wideband in there if you want. Many dont advise that b/c the sensor wears out quickly.

If you're gona tune, then tune part throttle as well and dont use your stock o2 sensor(narrowband). You can either plug it or put the sensor back in(maybe you have visual inspection).

A dyno tune is not necessary, at all. Street tunes can and do suffice, especially for the lower hp setups.
              they wear out quickly??? i didnt know that, i wonder how long, ive had mine on my car full time for over a year no issues. huh? owell i wouldnt take it off i like to make sure things are running smooth.

Comment

Originally posted by midnightrayne
                they wear out quickly??? i didnt know that, i wonder how long, ive had mine on my car full time for over a year no issues. huh? owell i wouldnt take it off i like to make sure things are running smooth.
                They wear out faster than regular o2 sensors.

I dont take mine off for that very reason, especially since I run uberdata as well and weather is crazy where i live.

Comment

Also I know widebands dont really like race gas =O.

The New-ish Ride
                  My old Ride
                  Hear my Vtak!!!
                  MK3 Member #3
                  IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

So can you plug in your wideband o2 sensor into where your regular o2 sensor is? or do you have to make 2 o2 bungs in the downpipe?

If you dont run the wideband all the time, you cant tell what your a/f ratio is....which in high hp setups is a bit of a gamble, what if the fuel pump fails or something.
                    1991 Accord LX Coupe - Boosted F22 - 5spd LSD - Shaved Bay - Work VSXX - Recaro SRD

Member's Ride Page | Video of my CB7, Open Downpipe peelout

Comment

Getting an extra O2 bung welded into a downpipe is simple and fairly cheap. I was running my stocker and the WB all the time. Stock O2 took care of anything from 0-~75% throttle, WB and Uber maps took over from there. Might seem like overkill to some, but I like to see what my A/F ratio is at all times
                      1993 Prelude S
                      F22A1
                      custom'ish turbo setup
                      180 whp/217 ft-lbs super hot, super humid, super rich, boost falling off at 8psi
                      18psi boost spike = BOOM!!!!!
                      currently being rebuilt

Comment

So did you have a seperate controller for the wideband or splice into the harness. I don't car if it takes a year to wear out. I am not running anythign crazy but i'd like to have things running smooth so i am just gonna replace the stock one with a wideband. Any suggestions on brand??

Comment

Originally posted by slammed_cb7
                          So did you have a seperate controller for the wideband or splice into the harness. I don't car if it takes a year to wear out. I am not running anythign crazy but i'd like to have things running smooth so i am just gonna replace the stock one with a wideband. Any suggestions on brand??
                          innovate

GOT BOOST???

massive part out on accord almost everything is going

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=125294

Comment

I made a custom harness for my wideband. I dont have to splice or cut ANY wires to hook up my wb, to any Honda.

The only widebands I recommend are innovate, PLX devices, and the Zeitronix.

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy
                              I made a custom harness for my wideband. I dont have to splice or cut ANY wires to hook up my wb, to any Honda.

The only widebands I recommend are innovate, PLX devices, and the Zeitronix.
                              How about NGK/NTK =D haha the only downfall is that they dont have a logger but from what people tell me they are one of the most accurate readers out there too.

The New-ish Ride
                              My old Ride
                              Hear my Vtak!!!
                              MK3 Member #3
                              IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Working...
                              X