Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Boom! What to do...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boom! What to do...

Did a compression test on my motor the other day, and it looks like the 14b finally took its toll on it. Compression is 90-110, 170,180,170. Cylinder 1 compression fluxuates, but its never good. I'm going 95% broken ringland, 5% headgasket. So since im leaning towards it being a broken ringland, and the car smokes like a mofo out the exhaust, I need a change. Regardless, I'm getting a new jdm f22b, I don't have the funds to build the internals. Well I might, but I'm not sure yet, I have to price everything out. So my options are as follows, and I'm just curious to what you guys think, I'd rather you post your opinions and reasons behind them then just taking the poll. I'm only gonna use the poll as a quick sum of what everyone thinks. But here are my options:

A)New jdm f22b, drop her in and leave it stock
    B)new jdm f22b, delta 272s, I/H/E and maybe suspension
    C)New jdm f22b, stock internals, t3/t4 setup
    d)Rebuild current f22b, rods, pistons, hone cylinders, and stick with the 14b

those are about the only options my funds will allow. I'm moving out in august, so when that hits, no more money will be going into the car.
    NEW STOCK JDM F22B
    11.54%
    NEW F22B WITH 272s, I/H/E
    11.54%
    NEW F22B WITH T3/T4 SETUP
    34.62%
    REBUILD F22B WITH RODS/PISTONS W/ 14B
    42.31%
    Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

option d) , cant go wrong with a built block, you will have crazy reliabily if you stich with the 14b even at higher psi.
    1991 Accord LX Coupe - Boosted F22 - 5spd LSD - Shaved Bay - Work VSXX - Recaro SRD

Member's Ride Page | Video of my CB7, Open Downpipe peelout

Comment

Sorta discouraging to see your block go bad, especially since you were only running 8psi on a conservative 195whp tune.
      Eeek.

Anyways, for ultra budget, just go with forged pistons and hone, and keep it under 280whp (for the rods sake).

Keep in mind, this will cost you at least $1000 after everything...all the new seals, head gasket, machining, polish crank, new bearings, etc etc.

But since you already have all the turbo stuff it should be good. Then either turn the boost up to around 12-14psi for about 250whp on the 14b, or get a 16g and run 12 for 260-270whp.

But for reliabililty and no messing around, the f22b with 272's sounds coo. Should be good for about 160-170whp with a good tune.

This news makes me nervous about my turbo setup. But we'll see. I do have the slightly better hypereutectic pistons (how much better is questionable...but i'm confident they offer some strength gains).

mark

Comment

I would go with option D. you will be built and should not have any problems afterwards. its the best deal, that is, if you have the funding for it.
        97 Yamaha YZF600R

Vouches: wagalude/sleepycb7/accordexr33/yeamans17/heylookitsdylan/tommi/JDMH22ACB7/smokeeey420/sackingz123/
        IDriveALude/Losiracer2/626cb7

Comment

While it may not be as fun, I voted for new stock F22b. You say you'll be moving and need to hold onto money, so I hate to see something go wrong and then you're screwed. You had a long fun time with it, why not go stockish for awhile, save your money, then once things settle, you can go back to turbo or whatever. Maybe I'm just being overly ideal/conservative/whimpy/whatever, but I don't count on luck being on my side.
          Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

How much power do you want?

Both B and C would be very fun, I think C has to take it on this.

I know you dont have the money to fully build your engine. Frankly, imo, you dont have to build the engine for it to be reliable. It's all in the tune, as I'm sure you know it.

Tune with crome this time around. It will make a pretty big difference. I've seen our engines handle 300whp+, stock everything.

The only thing Id prolly suggest are some arp head studs.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

I chose D which would prob be nice since the block and such is broken in. Plus you can check out the condition when you tear down your motor to go on with a final decision. C is also nice since it is always nice to start out fresh and go better.

The New-ish Ride
              My old Ride
              Hear my Vtak!!!
              MK3 Member #3
              I piss off people for fun.
              IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

damn, this is discouraging. This was one of the handful of few stock setups that seemed to be lasting...I guess all good things come to an end. I say rebuild for turbo...

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
                "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
                "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

C and D are good but I would choose D. SInce its YOUR motor and you know what you did. NOt like a JDM Motor or tranny. If its cracked its cracked and its a hassel to get a full refund like my tranny T2w4 I got one and guess what... all gears were grinding 1st and 2nd and 3rd were horrible. couldn't get a refund since they never answered. Currentlly Still waiting on a T2W4 from Eric Japan still haven't got there hands on one yet .... other then that this can open a new can a worms but. Its your call. Start fresh with F22b (600 bucks P+ 300 for timing belt waterpump cam seals and dizzy cap sparks wires and etc...) or rebuild which would normally cost about 300-400 if you do it yourself and if you get better parts say + 400 for whatever its about the same. do as you please were here to help
                  either kill it or drift it...

2002 Toyota Tundra V8

Comment

do you do alot of highway driving?

Comment

I would choose B.

I have an f22b if you want it, it needs a head gasket and valve seals, but seeing as youll be doing cams, the head will be mostly apart haha.

But yeah, if you dont have the cash to fully build your engine, just do some simple bolt ons, it'd be quick enough.

Comment

Originally posted by starchland
                        do you do alot of highway driving?
                        50/50. I have no idea how many miles I do in a week.

I just remembered something very important, my 14b needs a rebuild and an oil restrictor. So that's another thing. I forgot about switching to a 16g, I'm debating that, but I really want the t3/t4. I'm going to start looking around for piston/rod combos and see how much that runs me, and then I'll figure out which route I'm taking.

The car lasted about 2 years, on a very conservative base tune. I think what did me in was a the part throttle pulls I've been doing recently, since part throttle is tuned to stoich even in boost. And this was running UD1.66, so yeah, I'm either going crome or 1.7.
                        Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

Comment

I choose option A because it is the most simple and least expensive setup overall with reliability. Since you don't have money after August to drop into the car, you're asking for more issues with options B-D.

If you NEED a performance increase over stock, I'd then choose to rebuild your current engine with new stock pistons, new rings, new bearings if needed, sell your turbo setup and buy a Delta 272, I/H/E setup, dyno tune it.
                          HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

just did a quick run down of the math of what everythings gonna cost me, and basically it's coming down to either the f22b with 272s NA or new f22b with a 16g. I'm still considering a rebuild with a 14b or 16g, but I'm not sure. I hate to go NA since I have a fair amount of turbo parts sitting in my room.
                            Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

Comment

50/50 highway man...go 16g to keep those cruising temps down.

Comment

Working...
                              X