Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Choosing my turbo. A little help???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choosing my turbo. A little help???

K guys i wasnt going to do this because it sounds like a newb thread but i really cannot decide so i need some help. i have picked out two turbos that are both very similar only basic difference is the hot side.
    here is what i am looking for
    i want to spool in the 3000rpm range and not die off by the time im close to red line. im only looking to run between 8-12spi its on a stock h23.

so you just help me out which one do you think would be better for me?

Im thinking im going to run a garrett turbo with these specs
    t3/t4 50 A/R COMPRESSOR .63 A/R TURBINE .57 TRIM
    or this one
    T3/T4 .50 COLD .83 HOT .56 trim
    t3/t4 50 A/R COMPRESSOR .63 A/R TURBINE .57 TRIM
    72.73%
    T3/T4 .50 COLD .83 HOT .56 trim
    27.27%
    None of the above, and you tell me what i should use
    0.00%

You will get more power with the .83 turbine one. But it will spool late. Which can be a good thing for u if you want to stay out of boost most of the time. But when the boost comes in it will be very hard....and well put a hurting on ur stock internals.

Now the other .63 housing.....that would be a better buy if u want to see most of your boost around 3500 and up. It will last until redline.....depends on where your redline is also.

Do you have the compressor maps for these turbos?

Comment

First one.

The New-ish Ride
      My old Ride
      Hear my Vtak!!!
      MK3 Member #3
      I piss off people for fun.
      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by bruno8747
        You will get more power with the .83 turbine one. But it will spool late. Which can be a good thing for u if you want to stay out of boost most of the time. But when the boost comes in it will be very hard....and well put a hurting on ur stock internals.

Now the other .63 housing.....that would be a better buy if u want to see most of your boost around 3500 and up. It will last until redline.....depends on where your redline is also.

Do you have the compressor maps for these turbos?
        It sounds like you know this from a real world experience...

Late power is cooler, I vote for the .83 housing. However, I strongly recommend buildng the engine and getting ARP headstuds, the stockers stretch easily.

Comment

well its an h23 i think redline is 7200 but truthfully i never see it, dont really drive the car that hard. so ill see boost sooner and be able to keep in into the higher rpms with the first one, and it will be better on the stock engine? then it sounds like its the winner. Ill look into the head studs as well, i want to do what ever preventive stuff i can to keep it running.

Comment

Get the precision T4 SC-61 (SC-6176S capable of 680 hp)!

Precision Turbo

Camp1320
            Last edited by kamaccord; 05-05-2007, 05:44 PM.
            600HP" 1990 ACCORD LX COUPE COMING SOON

CLICK HERE TO VIEW MY 1990 CB7

Comment

Originally posted by midnightrayne
              well its an h23 i think redline is 7200 but truthfully i never see it, dont really drive the car that hard. so ill see boost sooner and be able to keep in into the higher rpms with the first one, and it will be better on the stock engine? then it sounds like its the winner. Ill look into the head studs as well, i want to do what ever preventive stuff i can to keep it running.
              Honestly, I found out the hard way, there isn't much you can do. Its inevitable, once its the stock shit, it will fail. The time it takes to fail, that is the question.

Comment

trust me im probably the easiest person on there car on this board, i also have another car and another engine if i blow it, its not a big deal, i will put the other motor in and prolly sell the car but until then ill have a little more fun with the turbo. I understand stock cannot last forever just not looking to put the extra money into the engine, im not looking for huge power, just a little fun. the car has been boosted more than a year now with no issues.

Comment

Most cost effective and very good turbo = DSM 2g or evo3 manifold (evo3 is more expensive but really nice...120ish)...then run an evo3 16g. Plenty of turbo for your goals and will hold to redline no problem.

Comment

Garret t3 .60/.63 A/R 60 trim...
                    Originally posted by 90EX
                    Off topic: When does your turbo begin to spool?
                    Originally posted by labatt50
                    turbo begins to spool at 2300rpm and get full boost at 3000~3100 up to 6500
                    Sounds like something you would want?
                    Last edited by 90EX; 05-05-2007, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mtnickel
                      Most cost effective and very good turbo = DSM 2g or evo3 manifold (evo3 is more expensive but really nice...120ish)...then run an evo3 16g. Plenty of turbo for your goals and will hold to redline no problem.
                      i dont want a dsm turbo 1. i dont care for any dsm products and 2. my manifold that i am not changing it for a t3/t4 style turbo

sounds like the 1st one is what everyone is telling me to go with.

Comment

Working...
                      X