Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

auto turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

auto turbo

i have a auto h23 tranny and was wondering how it would handle boost or if it is even a good idea to boost it i also dont really want to spend too much on the shift kit

current cb 93 10th ann. edition

member ride thread >>> http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...73#post3257973

DO NOT BOOST AN AUTOMATIC now if you want to you can but the tranny will not last as long as the motor before it begins to slip. unless you invest and make the internals beefier. just my 2 cents. i think the best route for an auto is a h22.
    Dont drive faster than your gaurdian angel can fly

Comment

i think the auto tranny can handle like 5psi. anymore than 6, it will start to slip like a mono. invest in a f22a 5spd man.
      miss my turbo cb7
      moved onto volvos. dont know how that happened, just did

Comment

If you not looking for crazy 400+whp or drag race at every light, Boosting an auto for everyday driving is very pleasent to drives. From my experience and other source the Honda Auto tranny in good condition can handle 250whp easy. You will want to beef up when you hit above 300whp. It the darn axle that are the weakest link, I seen more engine get damage then auto tranny die when boosted. AUto have TQ converter which lockup so you can't rev high and drop the clutch like manual. High reving and heat kill Tranny not boost. Change your Auto tranny fluid and get a bigger external tranny oil cooler (the stock auto has a small tranny oil built in lower part of radiator).

Ps. No need for the shift kit, a healthy auto tranny will upshift in about .6sec and never miss. But racing auto tranny is more then just stomp on gas and race.

And again it you car so have fun with it... drive what you feel compoftable the most.

I have boost USDM F22a4, JDM F22A, JDM H22A and they all are Automatic.

Originally posted by whitejdmcb7
        i have a auto h23 tranny and was wondering how it would handle boost or if it is even a good idea to boost it i also dont really want to spend too much on the shift kit
        90 Accord Coupe LX, Stock JDM H22A Engine 10.6:1 - Stock Automatic LSD MPA1 Trans, JDM P13 Auto ECU + JDM P19 TCU. Tune with Greddy E-Manage Ultimate
        < 317WHP/227WTQ@11psi> B/W S256 turbo, Daily Driving on 93 pump gas - since 2006. Driving Turbocharged CB7 Accord since 2002.

Comment

Autos are actualy better in some cases when boosting, this is if you have built up the tranny.Because Autos hold boost better than a manuel.Only downfall is tranny life.But like I said if you build up the tranny it should be fine.

Comment

build the tranny?????? how would u do that

Comment

www.levelten.com

Formerly 91AccordExR33
              11.68 @ 127mph
              417whp/375wtq
              Sold: 8/2016

Comment

for my case i weas only looking to push like 5-6 psi what is good to get on that site will the torqe converter suffice or do i need the whole bullet proof tranny kit

Comment

The bullet proof kit will only extend the life of the tranny so its realy up to you.But I highly suggest you get an aftermarket tranny cooler.This will also increase tranny life by keeping it cool.

Comment

I'm comfortable with my auto tranny for N/A but not for boost right now as my daily driver. I know my tranny can't handle all the new torque it will get from a turbo setup. I'm going F22b (DOHC) pretty soon and I wanted to use my current F22a auto tranny too. For future projects and performance upgrades you will definitely want to upgrade your tranny first to prepare it for all the new hp and torque the turbo will produce especailly, if this is your daily diver. Right now I can't deal with a lot of down time for my ride. I have to do little by little so I don't break anything in perfect working condition including my tranny. The first thing I'm going to get for my tranny is going be the torque convertor when I start look for serious hp. I''ll keep building from there. There was this one guy on this site that had an f22a w/ auto tranny boosted using a OEM turbo from an Nissian 300 ZX. He said the tranny slipped like hell in 3rd and 4th gears.

Last edited by Accordolictx; 07-02-2007, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by whitejdmcb7
                      for my case i weas only looking to push like 5-6 psi what is good to get on that site will the torqe converter suffice or do i need the whole bullet proof tranny kit
                      "sorry for the long post/rant, just want to give some rep to boosting auto"

5-6psi on a normal size turbo say 14b will mostly produce at max 50hp/40TQ.
                      That is just fine on a stock H23 engine and tranny. You should check your auto tranny condition before you buy anything. Is the auto fluid cherry red? any burnt smell? Can the auto tranny upshift smoothly in everygear? well honda tranny 1-2 upshift is alway rough on auto. have you ever seen when you floor the gas your rev get real high but your tranny is not kicking down to lower gear or was unable to catch a gear for a bit?

Like I say if your tranny is in good condition(healthy) it can take an extra 50hp/40tq. Now if you tranny is sliping or seem like it extremly high millage over 170k, it cheaper to get a used JDM tranny for like $300-$500 that has low 50k-60k millage on it. Most of our Tranny are high millage already, no matter if you keep it NA or turbo it, NOS it will slip eventually above 200k miles. If you are going to boost I recommend geting an JDM H23 with LSD auto tranny for $500-$700. Cheaper then level 10 rebuid, it can hadle 300whp at the wheel and has much lower millages. A small fraction cost compare to a trany rebuilt and cost a bit more then getting a TQ conventor install.

After market tranny oil cooler, and regular trans oil change is all you need to run 5-6 psi on your auto tranny.

You don't really need a racing TQ convertor unless you do alot of stop and go racing. All it basically do is allow you hold rev higher when launching, stock is about 2k rpm.

YOu should be more worry about your engine when turboing unless your making over 300whp. many factor can make it go boom faster then sliping your auto tranny. lean condition from fuel pump,fuel pressure regulator, fuel injector, oil and vapor from the PVC system just to name a few. most people don't relise denation in their engine when racing until white smook coming out of the exhaust.

I have and still drive my current turbo AUtomatic car everyday to work and such for over 1 year now. The car treat you as you treat it.
                      90 Accord Coupe LX, Stock JDM H22A Engine 10.6:1 - Stock Automatic LSD MPA1 Trans, JDM P13 Auto ECU + JDM P19 TCU. Tune with Greddy E-Manage Ultimate
                      < 317WHP/227WTQ@11psi> B/W S256 turbo, Daily Driving on 93 pump gas - since 2006. Driving Turbocharged CB7 Accord since 2002.

Comment

my boss has a 1999 gsx eclipse, Automatic. his car is pushing 400 hp on a evo 3 turbo and lots of bolt ons.. we had to remove his tranny cooler because of the extremely large intercooler, well we put a smaller tranny cooler back on his,, so i took the one of the gsx and figured if it's good enough for a turbo car from the factory,, surely it's good for mine... the placement for this is key to get cold air...
                        i put it on mine and i have seen a big difference in how it shifts and the temp after you drive and then the car is turned off.
                        i to have constantly heard our tranny's will hold up well untill the 250-280 hp mark,, first to go is normal, the torque converter...
                        don't let people tell you that an auto tranny isn't good for boost....
                        this gsx from a launch already is pushing 3 psi,, AWD and this thing doesn't not slip in launch.
                        by 3000 rpm's it's at 15 psi, 4500 it's at 30 psi pegging the boost guage out and the whole time you are slammed in your seat----- your head=mush+adrinaliene X piss=big mess. and his tranny is factory...
                        i've seen some blow up a hundred times in a year and others live forever...
                        Last edited by KeeleDesign; 07-06-2007, 09:28 AM.
                        "Self Renewed"

Comment

Im just about done with my 14b setup to be put on. I stopped however because i want to add a 272 b4 i go boost, and maybe an H23 IM.. but I hope it lasts if it soesnt in jsut switching ti manual.. but i really would like to see how long it lasts in auto...

Comment

yes you can my bro boosted his delsol on like 9 or 10 psi and hes was going good for like 3 months
                            but w/e im gonna boost at 7psi untill i get this other motor done them i just gonna blow this one

Comment

Working...
                            X