Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

what size intercooler piping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what size intercooler piping

hey i am in the process of the install and was wondering if the 2.5'' intercooler piping is good or should it be smaller????

where the HELL is Avondale, Pa? R u near reading??
    **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
    Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
    Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

Originally posted by xtremecb7
      hey i am in the process of the install and was wondering if the 2.5'' intercooler piping is good or should it be smaller????
      2.5 should be fine. You can fit 3" but I think more cutting is required in the bumper area.

The New-ish Ride
      My old Ride
      Hear my Vtak!!!
      MK3 Member #3
      I piss off people for fun.
      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

If it's a SOHC- 2" on the hot side, 2 1/2" on the cool side.

If it's a DOHC- 2 1/2" on the hot side, 3" on the cool side.

That's pretty much the norm. 2 1/2" all the way around should be alright.

-Kyle
        SOHC Non-VTEC F-series for life

"It is the fools prerogative to utter truths that no one else will speak."
        -Morpheus (The Sandman)

Comment

2.5" piping is ideal but 3" is what you want if your running for example a gt40r or larger turbo.
          Carlos
          My Members Ride Page

Comment

comon man avondale is 5 min from newark damn reading i dont even think i have ever heard of that i just moved out here with my fiance and its a big change from delaware even 5min from de

but hey i am running a h23 dohc and i have 2.5'' just thought it looked to big for such little boost 10psi but hey 2.5 will have to work and i hope it works good

but thanks to all you guys for your input if it wasnt for this cb7tuner crew i would be lost with my car you guys seem to know how to help somebody out

thanks again

Comment

damn, you guys don't mind serious pressure drop and hotter turbos making hotter compressed air, huh? to combat pressure drop from large charge pipes, you have to up the boost, which decreases thermal efficiency, the whole "good thing" about a turbo, basically.

i was making over 350 crank hp with a t4 and 2.25" i/c piping.

with 2.5" i got too much pressure drop and it didn't increase the power at all. there was no benefit to the larger plumbing.

the thing is that your intercooler is usually always going to be far more of a restriction than even 2" pipe, but you want the charge pipes to be as large as possible while experiencing VERY little pressure drop and/or power loss.

3" is just too big for MOST streetable applications. if you aren't moving a ton of air (not that possible with a street-built 2.x liter engine) then there is no need for a ton of space.

on your exhaust, bigger is better because it decreases backpressure, aids in scavenging and keeps the combustion chambers as cool and clean as possible.

i experienced turbulence in my charge pipes at 2.5" with the t/4 at 20psi on my ford 2.3.
              ....and on the 7th day, deevergote rested and called his mom.

Comment

Originally posted by xtremecb7
                comon man avondale is 5 min from newark damn reading i dont even think i have ever heard of that i just moved out here with my fiance and its a big change from delaware even 5min from de

but hey i am running a h23 dohc and i have 2.5'' just thought it looked to big for such little boost 10psi but hey 2.5 will have to work and i hope it works good

but thanks to all you guys for your input if it wasnt for this cb7tuner crew i would be lost with my car you guys seem to know how to help somebody out

thanks again
                bump pmed. in 3 days we could meet and i could help you on your turbo plans!
                miss my turbo cb7
                moved onto volvos. dont know how that happened, just did

Comment

2.5 would be fine. But ricky pretty much summed it up. It all depends on what turbine/manifold setup you choose.

I have 3" on 11psi with a t28 turbine and it sucks monkey ass. The motor gets cool air but fuck its laggy.
                  Last edited by Dv8; 07-24-2007, 12:58 AM.

Comment

bump so my 2.5'' piping is going to be fine

Comment

im running a f22b dohc nvtec and a big 16g with 2 1/4 piping on hotside and 2.5 on cold side and don't have any problems.
                      ~Nick~
                      FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                      MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

get some 5in piping no just jokes my friends run 2.5 - 3in piping
                        Originally posted by jboyce
                        i f'd this girl last night i hadnt seen in a while...used to be cute, but when i had her naked lying on my bed i noticed she had gained alot of weight and looked like a manatee rolling around on my bed.

Comment

ever seen a stock turbo'd car? IC piping is usually quite small...1.5" hotside 2" cold (tops).

I run 2" piping both hot and cold...steel on the hotside (actually 1 7/8"), and 2" ABS piping cold side.

What's funny is the guy above says he had pressure drop with the big pipe. Big pipe should do the opposite, it should increase flow and decrease the pressure drop.

Albeit, with 2" pipe all round i have a 1.5 PSI pressure drop at 6700rpm...but no way to tell if that's the IC or the piping. For 200whp or less, 2" is more than enough 250whp 2.5", 300whp 2.75", 350whp+ 3". That would be my recommendations.
                          I'll be pushing 250whp by the time i'm done and i dont' lose any sleep over the Pressure drop. In fact the efficiency is a bit better higher in the Pressure ratio anyways.

Mark

Comment

I have 60mm piping, (2-3/8"ID). Worked great on my setup...
                            12.5 at 114.6mph 15psi
                            11.7 and 11.5 20.5psi
                            F22a1
                            60-1 td06h turbo
                            Darton mid sleeves
                            85.5 wiseco 8.8:1 forged pistons
                            Crower pro billet rods
                            Custom ported head.
                            KMS valves
                            F23 headgasket
                            ARP H23 headstuds
                            H23 upper intake manifold
                            F22a6 lower intake manifold
                            Intake manifold is gutted
                            AEM EMS 1040u
                            FIC 850cc injectors
                            Walbro 255 pump
                            H23 manual trans
                            Prelude shifter assembly
                            Forbidden short throw
                            Nitrous Express Kit installed, never used on this motor

Comment

Working...
                            X